IGNORED

Broken Daughters Blog

mrs

I just started reading Lisa's story, on brokendaughters.wordpress.com . It is her story of growing up and leaving the QF movement. I think she should write a book about her experiences.

I can only find 19 installments of her story, and the 19th seems to be where she's getting ready to escape. Does anyone know if she ever wrote the whole story?

Some of the links on the site are hit or miss. Part 20 shows up among her regular posts.

I found part 20, but can't find what happened when they went in the house and told her family ... is there a name to the post ?? Such a moving story.. she writes so beautifully.

Mrs S2004, I don't think she has written it yet. It seems that she has been writing it in chapters since June, when she started the blog. I noticed in one of her other posts, that she is a newbie to technology. She doesn't even know how to change the font size on her blog. Her last post, was on Thanksgiving, so maybe she is working on post 21? I really hope she continues to share her story.

you know the discussion we had about why SAHD's can't get married? Check this out (from part 7)

"In some families this goes as far as the girls not being allowed to pick up activities which one could see as “fishingâ€. Activities that can fall under the “fishing†term: All sports with mixed genders. All church groups with mixed genders. Wait, let’s make this short, all activities where you could possibly meet men old enough to be married.

A girl who does this is usually shunned by the extra holy families. She is flirtatious, offensive and very unladylike. She is immodest, overly sexual and rebellious. She’s not the type of girl any man with biblical views would ever consider marrying."

So there it is: Daddy having total control and keeping her at home if that's where he prefers her is a feature, not a bug. Kids meeting each other at ALL can be forbidden, and other families will nod and approve.

Obv. Lisa's dad is abusive, not just Gotthard-convinced, but there's no cultural norm in the subculture for what is too much control.

I found a portion of one the post amusing. Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a fundie blogger who dresses in Victorian style dresses? Below made me laugh.... is Lisa possibly making fun of that blogger unknowing that she too has a blog?

"I knew I wasn’t supposed to feel proud, but I did. I was proud to look a bit less like I was part of their freak show which was supposed to show all those terrible people of the world how it’s done. I felt like, if someone approached us and asked about the ugly dresses, I could say “I’m not that bad! I’m ok looking! I’m not a Victorian era freak!â€

Its from her August 23 post.

I like her blog. She might be taking a break from her bio...I noticed in one of her entry's from a few month's back one of her sisters passed away at age 15 from kidney failure. She might just need some time to sort through those feelings first.

I'm really glad she had the opportunity to move to Europe...her mother apparently is from Germany and her German aunt and her family have helped her out a great deal. I'm sure putting that distance between herself and her father will help immensely. She's also lucky to have a supportive aunt as well to help her adjust to life outside fundie land.

• 5 years later...

I'm glad former Fundie women are getting the courage to expose the cult for what it really is. I hope more publicity is shown on them, rather on fundamentalists like the Duggars. 

Archived