IGNORED

Bethany is finally getting hitched

fundiefan

Bethany Smith's daddy has finally given her away! She finally got to have the courtship to model her older sister's perfect courtships. I wonder if she'll be washing feet at her wedding?

wesleaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-little-sis-is-getting-married.html

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or is anyone else surprised by the groom-to-be? He looks almost *gasp* normal... Normal, but exceptionally young to be spawning at the Smithy pace.

Bethany Smith's daddy has finally given her away! She finally got to have the courtship to model her older sister's perfect courtships. I wonder if she'll be washing feet at her wedding?

wesleaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-little-sis-is-getting-married.html

what did I miss???

And how old is Bethany. She looks sooo young.

I don't know Bethany's exact age but I think she's around 20. What's funny is I've seen that name so many times on fundie facebook friends lists - it always stands out to me because of a TV show I once saw. If he's related to the Lane sisters it's not a surprise he looks so normal; the Lane girls also look fairly normal, but I think they're a part of the Smith/MamaAnt/etc church. I see the Lane girls comment on people all the time but I'm not sure if they have their own blog; off to investigate!

what did I miss???

And how old is Bethany. She looks sooo young.

Katie Morton washed Alan Smith's feet at their wedding to show her submission to him. Or, devotion, or whatever. Creepy shit.

mortonclan.blogspot.com/2006/04/katie-washed-alans-feet-at-their.html

Yes, I was just talking in the Cleve wedding thread about how it seems like the Smiths were where all the weird stuff came from... but I forgot about Katie and the feet-washing. Will be interesting to see how this engagement goes, especially since they're filming the betrothal doc... I'll bet that's why they've been filming recently, actually - they were probably filming the "betrothal" part, leading up to this engagement.

Funny thing about those engagement pics that I just noticed and HAD to comment on - the guy is wearing a black "dress" t-shirt and a silver necklace, just like everyone's favorite Cap'n.

Yes, I was just talking in the Cleve wedding thread about how it seems like the Smiths were where all the weird stuff came from... but I forgot about Katie and the feet-washing. Will be interesting to see how this engagement goes, especially since they're filming the betrothal doc... I'll bet that's why they've been filming recently, actually - they were probably filming the "betrothal" part, leading up to this engagement.

I think betrothal is after engagement, it's kind of like the old school two part Jewish weddings. Betrothal is married except for the physical aspects. They "court" before the engagement, but the Smorton-Sanders seem to be pretty brief in how long they let that go on for.

Danny does seem normal and cute! WTG Bethany!

THe feet washing? Gross! Was it a theme wedding? It looked like a ren-fair wedding!

WOW! They can put their arms around each other and I am guessing they can hold hands if they can put their arms around each other. That's sort of scandalous in the Fundie World. So, they must be Fundie Light? I don't follow them, so I am sort of in the dark.

I'm not really familiar with this family, and maybe that's just how Bethany smiles, but do either of them look happy or in love to anyone else? Those smiles seem so half-hearted - not even good fake smiles :(

Also, what does finally mean - she looks like she is 13.

I'm not really familiar with this family, and maybe that's just how Bethany smiles, but do either of them look happy or in love to anyone else? Those smiles seem so half-hearted - not even good fake smiles :(

Finally means - she has been wanting desperately to go through a courtship like her sisters ever since they went through theirs - yes, even / particularly when she was a teenager. She was interviewed in one of her dad's propaganda videos saying how much she is looking forward to it all, followed by her dad saying 'she's just about ready...' Essentially, she, like all the other girls in that circle, has been raised for this and to anticipate this from puberty.

By normal standards, she's very young. Like, 20 or something. By the standards of her family/circle, she's been waiting her whole life for this.

WOW! They can put their arms around each other and I am guessing they can hold hands if they can put their arms around each other. That's sort of scandalous in the Fundie World. So, they must be Fundie Light? I don't follow them, so I am sort of in the dark.

Nowhere near lite. They're fundie all the way and then some, even compared to most. They're very inter-married with the Mortons. There aren't any Morton boys Bethany's age (the unmarried ones are all still kids yet) so they had to find someone from another family. But, once betrothed, I believe the couple can hold hands and touch, with chaperons of course, since they're as good as married.

Finally means - she has been wanting desperately to go through a courtship like her sisters ever since they went through theirs - yes, even / particularly when she was a teenager. She was interviewed in one of her dad's propaganda videos saying how much she is looking forward to it all, followed by her dad saying 'she's just about ready...' Essentially, she, like all the other girls in that circle, has been raised for this and to anticipate this from puberty.

By normal standards, she's very young. Like, 20 or something. By the standards of her family/circle, she's been waiting her whole life for this.

Gotcha - I can definitely see how 20 would feel like "finally" to kool-aid drinking SAHD who probably "graduated" from SOTDT High at 12... She just looks like she could be 12.

Nowhere near lite. They're fundie all the way and then some, even compared to most. They're very inter-married with the Mortons. There aren't any Morton boys Bethany's age (the unmarried ones are all still kids yet) so they had to find someone from another family. But, once betrothed, I believe the couple can hold hands and touch, with chaperons of course, since they're as good as married.

This. In some ways, the Smiths seem more modern than the Mortons - the Mortons went through a frumper phase, for instance, whereas the Smiths went from jeans and tank tops right to modern-modest - but in other ways the Smiths are way weirder than the Mortons. Papa Smith strikes me as more the classic control freak, I've got a direct line to God and I only wish I could have my own cult kind of fundie patriarch, whereas Papa Morton hides his weird behind a good-old-boy facade. I would love to know what the older generation was like growing up.

EDIT: I always felt a bit bad for Bethany. After her older siblings all married Mortons, and there was Cleve, single and cute, I would imagine that might sting a little, unless she couldn't stand him.

I've been reading for... what, maybe a year and a half? But in moments of boredom I've read back through the archives of their blogs. It's like catching up on all the seasons of a soap opera.

I think I've actually been following them for a little over a year. FJ introduced me to them. I also suffer from insomnia and have spent more late nights mindlessly surfing the web than I care to acknowledge. Some of those nights were occupied by reading archives and making sense of who is who and who married whom and who started as a Smith and became a Morton and vice versa.

Add in the Sanders family and all their mutual friends and there is always some connection to figure out when sleep won't come.

I'm not seeing real enthusiasm or affection in those photos, either.

Next year should yield a HUGE "crop" of Smith/Morton babies. Rachel and Wesley are expecting their third; Cleve and Lise will likely have their first; Kressant and Katie will probably have their yearly babies. Dorothy may have another (it's too soon to tell if she's as super-fertile as everyone else). I'm sure Bethany will get pregnant quickly, too, following her sisters' pattern.

So I'm quickly skimming through the most recent Morton blog in reverse chronological order, due to the conversation in the Cleve wedding thread, and I notice that the Lane girls are commenting at least back in 2009. However, the family's blog is private, so I have not yet been able to confirm if Beth's finance is, in fact, a brother... but if they pop up in blog pics at all I will notice.

And how creepy is this? The earlier pics from 2009 use a lot of first initials instead of names when other families visit them... but due to our reading I know who everyone is anyway (cringe).

This. In some ways, the Smiths seem more modern than the Mortons - the Mortons went through a frumper phase, for instance, whereas the Smiths went from jeans and tank tops right to modern-modest - but in other ways the Smiths are way weirder than the Mortons. Papa Smith strikes me as more the classic control freak, I've got a direct line to God and I only wish I could have my own cult kind of fundie patriarch, whereas Papa Morton hides his weird behind a good-old-boy facade. I would love to know what the older generation was like growing up.

EDIT: I always felt a bit bad for Bethany. After her older siblings all married Mortons, and there was Cleve, single and cute, I would imagine that might sting a little, unless she couldn't stand him.

The Smiths went through a frumper stage, and the Sanders sort of did as well. Both seemed brief, especially on the Sanders part.

I think Beth has to be 20-22. Isn't she the same age as Darthy and Addie? Her sisters were definitely married off young, she's been the only of the bio children at home for 4 or so years.

First sighting of Beth's fiance! First of all, let me tell you I was going batty - I'd scan a post like, say, Darth's wedding, see no Lanes, then I'd read the comments and see one of the Lane sisters say "It was such a beautiful wedding!" This sort of thing happened over and over again. It was like Where's Waldo.

Behold, when the Morton boys went on a snowboarding trip: mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2010/02/winter-snow-boarding-trip-to-new.html (For reference, he's in the 4th pic down, with the younger Morton, wearing that trademark silver medallion).

EDIT: Actually, there are multiple posts with pics from this trip, so use this one: mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-03-05T15:53:00-08:00&max-results=50 Is that really a Botkin in the one pic?

Another blast from the past: an appearance at one of the Morton's New Years balls! He would be the D in D & A, and he is also shown solo later as "A Confederate soldier" (charming) mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2010/01/cnyb-coverage-continuespart-five.html

EDIT Also blurry, but a pic of him and "the L family" mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2010/01/cnyb-extravaganza-part-two.html

And another one: mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2010/01/well-thats-it-for-part-one-next-come.html I honestly cannot tell the sisters apart.

Can someone give me a smith/morton/sanders family tree or something, please? How many members of these families are married to eachother? I'm confused.

Can someone give me a smith/morton/sanders family tree or something, please? How many members of these families are married to eachother? I'm confused.

Katie Morton is married to Alan Smith

Kressant Smith is married to Michael Morton

Rachel Smith is married to Wesley Morton

Dorothy Morton is married to Noah Sanders

No doubt there will be more in the future and the young un's come of age. All families still have some little ones along with their teenagers/early 20-somethings. They just don't quite match up in age at this point. Wait, most all of the little one's in all three families are boys, right? That won't work. They'll figure something out. There are quite a few other families they all hang out with, so stay tuned. I'm sure that before the decade is out, they will all be related to each other in some way or another. The Campanas (?), Roberts/Robertsons (?), apparently the Lanes who I don't recall ever hearing of but being the L family could explain that...

eta spelling sucks

Archived