IGNORED

Gretchen's fashion governed by husband

http://littlepinkhouseDOTnet/2011/12/clothes/#more-5026

I’m fashion-challenged. And I know it. Which is why I rely on my husband to tell me what looks okay.

whenever I bring home something from GoodWill that I think would make me look cute like them, it’s rarely my husband’s favorite.

I feel sorry for her.

So I went to my Pinterest account to find the sad collection of 9 pins in my board entitled “closet.†And I decided that I needed to work on pinning outfits and looks my husband liked

Over and over it's all about her husband. What about what SHE likes, what SHE Feels good in? My husband would never tell me what to wear or not wear. Is this just a male dominant fundie thing??

I ask my husband for fashion advice, but I'm hopeless in that area and he's a little metro....you know? I can figure out what to wear on a daily basis with no help (jeans and a t-shirt!) but if I'm going somewhere special I ask him for help. That being said, I would NEVER forgo an outfit I liked just because he didn't. If he could give me a good reason, I might listen....but I'd probably end up wearing whatever I wanted anyway. I can't pick dresses, for example, but if I found one I really super liked and he didn't? Tough cookie dude! My body, my choice! LOL

That is so freaking weird! I ask my hubby if he likes my new shirt, or if these jeans give me a good ass, or if my dress is showing the entire planet my boobs, but he does not give me clothing input past that! Oh, and if he doesn't like my new shirt? That's because he has no taste in clothes! haha

I do help my hubby pick out clothes in the store (because he doesn't understand fashion, and that it changes over the decades...it isn't 2000 anymore! He knows he doesn't get it, and asks for help.)

Yes, this whole post struck me as bizarre -- but then again, Gretchen has been having Merritt dictate her wardrobe since her courtship days, if I remember correctly. Where she got the idea that letting your spouse choose your clothing=marital bliss is anybody's guess.

Always remember you are nothing without your man and every activity should be a reflection of his ultimate glory. Seriously, Gretchen is always ranting about how she dresses cutely but modestly for HER MAN, and he LIKES SHORT HAIR so she CUTS IT FOR HIM and ALSO WEARS A LOT OF BLUE, JUST FOR HIM, although she doesn't like it, and on and on, ad nauseum. And it's not that dressing modestly or wearing blue are objectionable - it's that she denies her own taste has anything to do with how she grooms her appearance, and everything is self-sacrificially chosen to please her husband. And this makes me roll my eyes so hard.

Doesn't she also question whether Women should vote? Or am I thinking f another.

I think she's more dangerous than a lot of fundies. She looks "normal" (short hair and singlets), no frumpers...

Always remember you are nothing without your man and every activity should be a reflection of his ultimate glory. Seriously, Gretchen is always ranting about how she dresses cutely but modestly for HER MAN, and he LIKES SHORT HAIR so she CUTS IT FOR HIM and ALSO WEARS A LOT OF BLUE, JUST FOR HIM, although she doesn't like it, and on and on, ad nauseum. And it's not that dressing modestly or wearing blue are objectionable - it's that she denies her own taste has anything to do with how she grooms her appearance, and everything is self-sacrificially chosen to please her husband. And this makes me roll my eyes so hard.

:roll: Um, WHAT?!? If that is what it takes to have a happy marriage, mine must be miserable!! How long has this chick been married?

If it were up to my husband I'd have waist-length hair and a push-up bra. As it is, I have an earlobe-length bob and a regular bra, because I'm the one that has to LIVE in this body.

I think Gretchen is really struggling with her body image right now, after three kids in relatively quick succession. After all, her husband looks pretty much the same, but she's gotten stretch marks and nursed three kids and (evidently) gained some weight. So she's concentrating on her clothes to make her feel better.

Just my theory. I know that after my first kid, I got overly invested in how my husband thought I looked, because I was so self-conscious about weighing 20lbs more than I ever had in my whole life.

I wonder if her husband finds any of this constant "Tell me what to wear!" stuff kind of creepy, or if he just sees it as par for the patriarchal course that he should be allowed to dictate his wife's fashion choices. I mean, how many guys truly care whether their wives wear blue, pink, or green, as long as they don't look like complete trainwrecks? Gretchen is a farmer's wife--it's not like she needs to look runway-ready on a daily basis.

Does the husband really feel Gretchen is ill-equipped to assemble a decent wardrobe, or is Gretchen herself allergic to the idea of making her own decisions (after all, she seems to be the one instigating these conversations)? My guess is it's more the latter, stemming from Gretchen's own insecurities and from whatever patriarchal swill her family/ church set in front of her when she was young.

I wonder if her husband finds any of this constant "Tell me what to wear!" stuff kind of creepy, or if he just sees it as par for the patriarchal course that he should be allowed to dictate his wife's fashion choices.

Mine did! I stopped wearing pink for my fundie ex-husband, even though I kind of liked it. I didn't *love* it, but I certainly liked one two pinks in my wardrobe. He had equally strong opinions about my hair and my weight. I knocked myself out trying to keep up.

After my divorce, I bought of ton of stuff, mostly from Old Navy, in different shades of pink. Felt good to get that out of my system.

Pixydust said: That is so freaking weird! I ask my hubby if he likes my new shirt, or if these jeans give me a good ass, or if my dress is showing the entire planet my boobs, but he does not give me clothing input past that! Oh, and if he doesn't like my new shirt? That's because he has no taste in clothes! haha

Sounds like my hubby! But he also likes how I look naked so there's no accounting for taste, lol! And I always check with him to see if I'm wearing a lower cut shirt to make sure the ladies are wrapped up.

Sounds like my hubby! But he also likes how I look naked so there's no accounting for taste, lol! And I always check with him to see if I'm wearing a lower cut shirt to make sure the ladies are wrapped up.

Haha! Mine likes me naked, too, so there is obviously something wrong with him! I actually prefer to get my girlfriends or gay friends input on my boobage, because they are more realistic about how much is too much!

:roll: Um, WHAT?!? If that is what it takes to have a happy marriage, mine must be miserable!! How long has this chick been married?

I believe she's been married since 2005 or so? This has been a recurring theme in her writing since, if I recall correctly, the days of her courtship, but becoming more blatant since she's been married. I really scratch my head over the concept that you should wear something you dislike in order to please your partner. There's nothing wrong with your partner suggesting things they like in terms of style, and if you happen to like those clothes/hairstyles too, that's great! But why on earth would there be some obligation to wear your hair a certain way or dress in a certain colour if you yourself aren't happy with it? This kind of language must be used by Gretchen in order to demonstrate how obedient to patriarchal notions she is, that the man is the head of the woman and the household in ever matter.

Archived