IGNORED

TLC should have a show about recovering fundies

mamajane09

I would love love love to see a show like that and show the world what growing up in that lifestyle actually does to a person.....anyone else? o and it should air right after the duggars next season like back to back lol!

Yes!

Do you remember the reality show where Amish kids went to LA?

I would love a show that followed a few people leaving different authoritarian religions.

no I never saw that! I would love to see a show about the amish too but idk if they would allow themselves to be video taped? I know they dont allow photos.....but i just think that alot of ppl are so misunderstood about what the duggars really beleive in and how the kids are really raised. I think a show about recovering funie members is just what this world needs to show how messed up and abusive it all really is.....

We should bombard TLC with the idea. I am sure that they will do Anything for ratings, and the Duggars TV show has to be on borrowed time. It is just so boring, even if you drink the kool-aid.

lol I love that idea Chunkybarbie :) Love your name too! Im pretty sure that the duggars wont be around for that much longer........I HOPE!!! The only future Duggar shows I would want to see would be ones about the children who left the movement.....not sure if that would ever happen but i can hope!

I think it would be a great show, if they could find people who are willing to go on television and talk about it. I'd be frightened to have my ex-fundies know where I am, and what I am doing, more than they already do; they are still obsessed with losing me to the heathen world. They would have to be very brave people.

The problem is that TLC, in its current format, is by its very nature exploitative. They want "freaks," not people who are trying to straighten out their lives. The only ex-fundies they'll go for are people like Vyckie - those that have become zealous in opposition, those whose personalities still trend toward the extreme, those who are willing to say My Way is the Right Way. Take their new show, Geek Love, about speed dating at conventions. Putting a dating angle on conventions is actually a good idea, because you know you probably already have something in common. But you know this show is just going to focus on the social awkwardness of people who like comics and sci-fi, because this is TLC, and they have the intellectual and emotional depth of a teaspoon.

A channel like A&E is also pretty frivolous, but they would at least try to show some depth, I think.

I think it would be a great show, if they could find people who are willing to go on television and talk about it. I'd be frightened to have my ex-fundies know where I am, and what I am doing, more than they already do; they are still obsessed with losing me to the heathen world. They would have to be very brave people.

Wow, that is scary. They would go after you to save you, that is crazy of them. I totally believe you, I have heard the saying " better in the grave than dishonored." I wonder if fundies feel that way. I am sure some do.

The problem is that TLC, in its current format, is by its very nature exploitative. They want "freaks," not people who are trying to straighten out their lives. The only ex-fundies they'll go for are people like Vyckie - those that have become zealous in opposition, those whose personalities still trend toward the extreme, those who are willing to say My Way is the Right Way. Take their new show, Geek Love, about speed dating at conventions. Putting a dating angle on conventions is actually a good idea, because you know you probably already have something in common. But you know this show is just going to focus on the social awkwardness of people who like comics and sci-fi, because this is TLC, and they have the intellectual and emotional depth of a teaspoon.

A channel like A&E is also pretty frivolous, but they would at least try to show some depth, I think.

I agree. Vickie is the first person who sprung to mind when I read this topic. I don't think even Hillary McFarland would participate and the people at Recovering Grace are too level-headed (read boring) to capture a TV audience week after week.

Like what annalena and others said...it would be a great show but the exfundies would have to be brave souls indeed. And for ratings' sake they wouldn't show calm, reasoned people explaining why they left. It would be the most fragile people they could find, which would be dangerous for those people's mental health.

no I never saw that! I would love to see a show about the amish too but idk if they would allow themselves to be video taped? I know they dont allow photos.....

Some of the Amish do, this series is being broadcast by Channel 4 in the UK at the moment:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/living-with-the-amish

Six British young people, spend time living with several Amish families. It follows last years series, in which the reverse happened:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/amish-worlds-squarest-teenagers

What enoys me is that when the Amish came to stay in the UK last year, they were allowed to wear their modest clothes, whilst this year the British people have to dress in Amish clothes.

Archived