IGNORED

Documentaries on Fundies

EllieCee

I remember watching one of the Ted Haggard ones a couple of years ago. It was kind of sad actually. He sinned, admitted it (eventually) but his fellow religionists shunned him. They shunned him right out of the state. He was reduced to selling things door to door.

I would have felt more sorry for him if he hadn't insisted that a 6-week "gay-be-gone" therapy had cured him, but still it's very telling about how the fundies really feel about forgiveness and loving one another.

Leaving Bountiful is about a woman who left the FLDS group in Bountiful and started her own advocacy programs for women and children escaping polygamy in Canada. It's available in 5 parts on Netflix, and it's amazing to watch. It's a heartbreaking story detailing sexual abuse within the community, arson as a way to leave the group, custody battles over children who have left, etc.

"Leaving Amish Paradise" - the full thing is on YouTube.

It's a sequel to another show the BBC did on the Amish, but it follows a couple as the leave/are excommunicated from the Amish. They are joining what is described in the video as an evangelical outreach to the Amish, but it is Charity Ministries, which is pretty weird on its own and is promoted by some of the fundie bloggers that have been discussed here.

:shock: So much snark. So little time! I'm gonna make some cocoa and settle in.

An older one, but "Marjoe" is excellent and available to watch on YouTube. He was basically exploited as a child and was a child evangelist, then returned to it for financial reasons as an adult in the 70's. His last year preaching, he let a documentary crew follow him around and exposed the fraud behind the people heading the fundie movement in the 70's. It's not so much a look as the lifestyle of the individual/families in the movement as it is an exposure of the people taking advantage of the little guys. Some pretty appalling footage is included, especially when it comes to the other preachers who tell their congregations to give money they don't even have (one of them even says something like "if you've been setting aside money for something else, like a winter coat you need, I want you to give that money to the Lord")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuX7OUrx ... re=related

I don't know if 4OD (British Channel 4) is available everywhere but there are a few good ones available there:

15 Kids and Counting (large British families, some for religious reasons, others not)

Amish - World's Squarest Teenagers

Living with the Amish

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

Channel 4 is good for documentaries generally, there's lots of other interesting stuff there.

Oooh, my favorite topic!

I've seen most of the ones mentioned on this thread. Trouble in Amish Paradise, Leaving Amish Paradise, Jesus Camp, and Trembling Before G-d are all well worth watching.

I would also recommend:

The End of the World Bus Tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdXCvKWSZyw

British Schools, Islamic Rules:

Faith School Menace:

In God's Name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp4A6jBWzo

I was creeped out that one of the videos on the suggestiong side bar for part 2 of "British Schools, Islamic Rules" was "Muslim Mickey Mouse Teaches Kids How to Kill Jews." :shock: Talk about something from nightmares.

Did anyone see a doco recently (within last 2 years) about surrendered wives? Does anyone remember the name? It was fascinating.

Most of the 40D programs are available on YouTube I've watched a bunch. There are in segments FTMP.

Is 15 kids and counting available online in the US? When I try to watch it on the 40D website it says "video not available in your area."

An older one, but "Marjoe" is excellent and available to watch on YouTube. He was basically exploited as a child and was a child evangelist, then returned to it for financial reasons as an adult in the 70's. His last year preaching, he let a documentary crew follow him around and exposed the fraud behind the people heading the fundie movement in the 70's. It's not so much a look as the lifestyle of the individual/families in the movement as it is an exposure of the people taking advantage of the little guys. Some pretty appalling footage is included, especially when it comes to the other preachers who tell their congregations to give money they don't even have (one of them even says something like "if you've been setting aside money for something else, like a winter coat you need, I want you to give that money to the Lord")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuX7OUrx ... re=related

I was just about to suggest Marjoe :D Excellent documentary.

I think most of the ones I've seen have already been suggested, but for other documentary fans I'll just point out the website watchdocumentary.com - it has quite a lot of religious documentaries, all of Louis Theroux's work, and all of the usual topics like history, nature, etc.

That's a really great doc. It made me cry too.

I thought it was amazingly good as well.

(and I NEED to see Jesus camp but couldn't find it on netflix. Off to amazon prime next weekend.

Here's hoping it doesn't give me flashbacks ;) )

A show in Canada did a bit on Bountiful, but in my opinion was may too puffy.

They also did one on the Magdalene Laundries:

Here are two movies (Not docs) about the laundries as well. Anne Marie Duff is in both of them.

Sinners (2002):

The Magdalene Sisters (2002 as well I think)

Hell House, about a sin-themed "haunted" house done by a church each Halloween.

I would like to see this one!

Archived