IGNORED

Prepare me! Fundie youth meeting.

CanadianHippie

Lestat didn't poop except for when he became human, and he found it icky.

The more you know...

I think I read that issue of Justice League of America.

:lol: Wasn't there a a big annual, cross-universe event about that, not just the JLA? I just remember the tiny Martian Manhunter being adorable.

Well, that was... interesting. First thing I noticed, because I wasn't expecting it, was the church was more culturally diverse than your regular fundy church. It might just be the area though.

What I noted (besides the above):

- I was the only female not wearing a skirt. (I don't own any that fit me)

- Their way is the only true way all other beliefs are false (Like I've never heard that one before)

- Courtship is big with them. And one of the pastors talked about how you shouldn't tell anyone "I love you" unless you're engaged because you might be saying it to another person's husband or wife.

- Men can be pastors, or deacons, or teachers. Women can be their wives.

- The three people my friend and I went to Tim Horton's with afterwards were surprisingly open to hearing what we had to say on our own beliefs (though not without the inference that we were wrong, it wasn't a strong one though).

- Not the gold dust and gem stone church, they have their own weird beliefs other than we will all turn into infants after the rapture. They believe the guy who started the church could tell what illness someone had by the colour his hand turned when he touched them.

- There was a lot about the rapture coming soon. Like, "when the rapture comes, even if its before we finish building the school" (the school which is mostly done) type talk. A lot of talk about the rapture is coming soon stuff, even though the pastor admits he believed the same thing when he was young and now is old enough that he has grandchildren.

In case you're interested bibleway.org/home.do?missions

Oh and if you are interested, the website offers tips on how to pick the right iPod.

Learned a couple of other things about these people...

Diversity is ok, interracial marriage is bad!

Women can't divorce, but men can if they find out their wife wasn't a virgin when they married.

Also, anyone know what kind of church believes that when the rapture comes we will all be turned into babies?

Sorry for the caps but: WHAT?? WTF? :think:

I like how fundies of every religion pick and choose their beliefs. Correct me if I'm wrong but is the rapture even written in the bible?? :geek:

THA LAWRD!!!! (trying to say that in a thick accent... not sure it worked.)

I think it's "the-uh Law-rud", try saying it like Elvis crossed with the deputy on "Dukes of Hazzard" :mrgreen:

wow - this is full circle for me. I'm a long time lurker (years!) that got into this when a family member joined up a very fundy bible-based offshoot. (they live in BC) and THAT, CanadianHippie is the address of the church they tried to get me to join as well. wow wow wow. I've tried to find out more about it, but also didnt want to actually 'get their hopes up' so didnt go through the song and dance of pretending to be genuine.

infant rapture!?

I have heard that they dont celebrate christmas or easter b/c it's not the actual days when birth or crucifiction would have happened. so they lock their doors and pray and thats it - no carols, no presents, nothing .

it sounded creeeeepy. want to hear more!!!!

thanks ShotgunOpera.

re: the church - probably explains why they didnt want to see my wedding invites or engagement pics and kept my wedding pics hidden (the briefest of glances when the album was passed around) - i'm in an interracial marriage. I dont know if it was this church or belief directly, but my female family member was trained as a professional (postgrad uni) and then married and was told she could not work despite lots of need for her expertise in the area. her husband could not find work and their young family had to pull kids out of school because they could not afford it, had to sleep on air mattresses after selling off furniture etc - because if the dad couldnt provide and the mom's place was in the home then....too bad, so sad. They sneered at my travelling alone (when i was in my 20's) and going to europe and wearing pants, living alone etc

i still grit my teeth when i hear about this church - i spent a couple days visiting and they laid on the propaganda so thick and creepily *insert glazed eyes* that i was genuinely freaked and left early saying i had 'some friends' to visit in Van, and promptly checked into a hotel there.

ugh.

wow - this is full circle for me. I'm a long time lurker (years!) that got into this when a family member joined up a very fundy bible-based offshoot. (they live in BC) and THAT, CanadianHippie is the address of the church they tried to get me to join as well. wow wow wow. I've tried to find out more about it, but also didnt want to actually 'get their hopes up' so didnt go through the song and dance of pretending to be genuine.

infant rapture!?

I have heard that they dont celebrate christmas or easter b/c it's not the actual days when birth or crucifiction would have happened. so they lock their doors and pray and thats it - no carols, no presents, nothing .

it sounded creeeeepy. want to hear more!!!!

Well the young woman I attended with talked about celebrating Christmas so it might be an individual type thing.

I like how fundies of every religion pick and choose their beliefs. Correct me if I'm wrong but is the rapture even written in the bible?? :geek:

Revelations is nuts, but parts of it are the basis for the belief that one day the end of the world will come and believers will be singled out in some way. However, many people seem unaware of how much the "Left Behind" series took liberties with the text and are much more attached to its nice orderly depiction than the mess that's actually in the Bible.]

Sounds like a completely crazy church!

Oh and if you are interested, the website offers tips on how to pick the right iPod.

Hey! I live in the lower mainland too. Next time you're going to do an undercover fundie infiltration, let me know! I have long skirts, scarves and can speak the lingo!

Hey! I live in the lower mainland too. Next time you're going to do an undercover fundie infiltration, let me know! I have long skirts, scarves and can speak the lingo!

Sure. They have free food, at least they do after the young peoples meeting.

Well, that was... interesting. First thing I noticed, because I wasn't expecting it, was the church was more culturally diverse than your regular fundy church. It might just be the area though.

What I noted (besides the above):

- I was the only female not wearing a skirt. (I don't own any that fit me)

- Their way is the only true way all other beliefs are false (Like I've never heard that one before)

- Courtship is big with them. And one of the pastors talked about how you shouldn't tell anyone "I love you" unless you're engaged because you might be saying it to another person's husband or wife.

- Men can be pastors, or deacons, or teachers. Women can be their wives.

- The three people my friend and I went to Tim Horton's with afterwards were surprisingly open to hearing what we had to say on our own beliefs (though not without the inference that we were wrong, it wasn't a strong one though).

- Not the gold dust and gem stone church, they have their own weird beliefs other than we will all turn into infants after the rapture. They believe the guy who started the church could tell what illness someone had by the colour his hand turned when he touched them.

- There was a lot about the rapture coming soon. Like, "when the rapture comes, even if its before we finish building the school" (the school which is mostly done) type talk. A lot of talk about the rapture is coming soon stuff, even though the pastor admits he believed the same thing when he was young and now is old enough that he has grandchildren.

Holy majeroly! This isn't a classic fundie church, this is a Branhamite church. They believe William Branham was the prophet for the last day, and they hold his preachings (and lo, they were many) as being pretty close to equivalent to the Bible. I once went to a Branhamite service down in Tucson about 10 years ago, and it was bizarre, as the service was a recording of one of "Bro. Branham's" sermons.

The reason you need to know how to pick the right iPod is not so you can load all your bitchen tunez on it, but so that you can get all of Bro. Branham's sermons (and lo, they were many) onto the iPod.

Branhamites are their own special kind of wacky, and Cloverdale Bibleway is probably one of the most prominent Branhamite churches in the world.

Holy majeroly! This isn't a classic fundie church, this is a Branhamite church. They believe William Branham was the prophet for the last day, and they hold his preachings (and lo, they were many) as being pretty close to equivalent to the Bible. I once went to a Branhamite service down in Tucson about 10 years ago, and it was bizarre, as the service was a recording of one of "Bro. Branham's" sermons.

The reason you need to know how to pick the right iPod is not so you can load all your bitchen tunez on it, but so that you can get all of Bro. Branham's sermons (and lo, they were many) onto the iPod.

Branhamites are their own special kind of wacky, and Cloverdale Bibleway is probably one of the most prominent Branhamite churches in the world.

hmm, i've never heard of branhamites, despite being a pastor's daughter and my dad always talking about religious-type things. they sound kinda wacky.

Yay! I found wacky, crazy Fundy! That's way better than your normal fundy! Apparently I don't even do fundy watching like a normal person.

Learned a couple of other things about these people...

Diversity is ok, interracial marriage is bad!

Women can't divorce, but men can if they find out their wife wasn't a virgin when they married.

Oh, Jesus, no one tell my husband!

Yay, another fundie church in Canada. :cry: It's spreading... :shock:

This one doesn't count, it's been around since the 70's.

one of the No Longer Quivering writers, Sierra, was part of a Branhamite church. she blogs here:

nonprophetmessage.wordpress.com/

one of the No Longer Quivering writers, Sierra, was part of a Branhamite church. she blogs here:

nonprophetmessage.wordpress.com/

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Archived