IGNORED

American Gods / Neverwhere

Soldier of the One

Read 'Neverwhere' by Neil Gaiman a few weeks ago and am now reading 'American Gods' and loving it.

Has anyone else read it? Thoughts?

(Am still not done yet, so please put spoilers behind a cut! Thanks!)

Oh, I read American Gods and really loved it. It was something else of a book. I can't imagine how much research he had to do about "the old gods" ... must have been fascinating.

Loved it! Gaiman has definitely been to the

House on The Rock ]

as his descriptions of it are quite apt. If you're ever in the chicagoland area, i recommend taking the 2 hour drive north to see it. Its pretty trippy!

There's a sequel called Ananasi (sp?) boys. Which isn't AS good but its good.

I am such a Neil Gaiman fangirl! I loved American Gods and Neverwhere. They are both very different books. But I enjoyed both. American Gods is a very epic story. But Neverwhere I found it to be a more fun book. They are both goods, just different beasts.

Loved it! Gaiman has definitely been to the

House on The Rock ]

as his descriptions of it are quite apt. If you're ever in the chicagoland area, i recommend taking the 2 hour drive north to see it. Its pretty trippy!

There's a sequel called Ananasi (sp?) boys. Which isn't AS good but its good.

Yep, he has been there. He said he had to tone it down. He hosted a Hallowe'en party there last year

and were even allowed to ride the carousel ]

Also in "Monarch of the Glen", which can be found in the anthology Fragile Things, is a short story about a character from American Gods.

I loved them both! You'll have to come back when you finish American Gods, I want to know what you think of it.

Am about half way and really enjoying it. Love the way he captures the personalities of the individual gods but in a very believable, contemporary way. I find the polytheistic angle original and fascinating and - as far as I can tell from my reading on the matter - Gaiman seems to understand the (ancient) polytheistic mindset/theology. I like the idea that the gods are not omnipotent but need love and adoration. I can't wait to see how the book will progress! :)

Neverwhere was actually written to be a TV show--I have the boxset on dvd :)

Neverwhere was actually written to be a TV show--I have the boxset on dvd :)

Yes, I saw bits of it on Youtube. Bloody awful if you ask me. Totally dated.

Shame, though. They should make a movie out of the book. With today's technology, London Below should look impressive.

Archived