IGNORED

Michael Pearl is going to be on Anderson's daytime talk.....

deelaem

delatching a nursing baby is violent; pulling hair, or pinching, isn't.

The man is delusional, seriously.

ETA: and if he thinks any nursing mom would jerk a biting baby away more than once, he has NEVER paid attention. That just gets you hurt. You delatch them first and move them away or they take a chunk of boob with them. I was just hanging out with a friend whose 6 week old is a biter, yesterday, and she delatched him several times and then got him relatched properly so he wasn't biting.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thoughtful - THANK YOU for the live blogging. I hope to catch this later with the on-demand video, but I'll bet your account is fairly accurate.

Check out this commentary from the Foxes who were on the show as Pearl defenders: http://www.christianpost.com/news/to-sp ... ies-63208/

You'll notice that they also cite the Christian Domestic Discipline crowd in support of why "spanking" isn't bad :roll:

Maybe we could get AC to follow up with them on that. If so, TTUAC + Christian Domestic Discipline would be a knock-out punch for the Pearls in the public's eye

You're welcome, and that is quite bizarre!

Comments on the Anderson site are running towards "they didn't let him speak -- wahhhhh" and "IwasspankedandIturnedoutOK"

Anybody wanna come do some commenting, and thumbs-up/downing?

http://www.andersoncooper.com/episodes/ ... dispirito/

MaroonMandy and Rosa, you're welcome!

ETA -- also Discobiscuit and Contrary

Brainsample, thanks for the clips.

Oh, and:

6442695325_747a83029e.jpg

I'm not too technologically savvy, nor am I paranoid. But I thought I'd tell the good folks at FJ that I just got a message from Norton that a "web attack: suspicious browser fingerprinting 3," labeled "high severity" was blocked.

Think someone might be trying to find out who I am, or is it just coincidence?

I never get "high severity" messages. :think:

Domestic Discipline is NOTHING like what the Pearl's are doing. The key difference being "consent". Just like rape does not =sex.

I do understand that some of the Christian DD sites have a hard time with the concept of consent..as many of these fundamentalists have a hard time with 'consent' as a fundamental right for anyone ( except whoever is their particular alpha male )

I am really thankful that you liveblogged this, thoughtful. I am already embroiled in this very deeply, and while I have completely inappropriate feelings for AC, I might have to skip this. I cried and yelled at my monitor several times; cannot imagine how I would react to seeing MP being utterly, unapologetically, without compassion.

It is abuse. It is not nurturing, and people do NOT turn out ok. I am glad the wriggly worms that sequester themselves and their fucked up beliefs beneath rocks of "faith" are finally being exposed. I am glad the general populace is finally being told about the Pearls--when I've told people who don't read FJ or about the Patriarchy voraciously (which is pretty much everyone but my husband), no one believes that could be going on in this day and age, legally. They will now.

I am really thankful that you liveblogged this, thoughtful. I am already embroiled in this very deeply, and while I have completely inappropriate feelings for AC, I might have to skip this. I cried and yelled at my monitor several times; cannot imagine how I would react to seeing MP being utterly, unapologetically, without compassion.

It is abuse. It is not nurturing, and people do NOT turn out ok. I am glad the wriggly worms that sequester themselves and their fucked up beliefs beneath rocks of "faith" are finally being exposed. I am glad the general populace is finally being told about the Pearls--when I've told people who don't read FJ or about the Patriarchy voraciously (which is pretty much everyone but my husband), no one believes that could be going on in this day and age, legally. They will now.

Glad I could help.

You might want to watch -- at least the clips that Brainsample posted. They did a good job of letting Pearl's evil and lack of logic show through.

You're welcome, and that is quite bizarre!

Comments on the Anderson site are running towards "they didn't let him speak -- wahhhhh" and "IwasspankedandIturnedoutOK"

Anybody wanna come do some commenting, and thumbs-up/downing?

http://www.andersoncooper.com/episodes/ ... dispirito/

Elizabeth Esther states this on her aforementioned blog piece

elizabethesther.com/2011/12/my-thoughts-on-anderson-show-airing-tomorrow-speaking-imperfectly-is-better-than-remaining-silent-nomoredeadkids.html

Michael Pearl was given ample time to share his views on the show. Indeed, he had more air-time than anyone else. When he was interrupted it was because he was rambling. As a preacher, people listen to him–I got the feeling that he rarely listens to others and is unaccustomed to being questioned.

As far as the questions being “emotionally charged and biased,†well, the subject matter itself was emotionally charged since we were dealing with the actual deaths of young children.

Thank you, thoughtful, for making note of all of this stuff. It also helps me feel like I'm not weathering this alone. This stuff plays with my head and heart. I'm half afraid to turn on the tele because I've already cried today about it all. Before I read your live blogging. Many and much thanks.

Man,

That studio is full of some angry looking people, shaking their heads...

Pearl says you want it to cause pain because it emulates the real world. Don't consequences emulate the real world? Doesn't a time out emulate the real world? Doesn't a loss of privileges emulate the real world.

Good point, Brainsample. When I mess up at work my boss doesn't hit me, but there are other consequences that start out small and increase with severity if the offense is repeated.

Anderson just zinged him.

"If this method works so well, why is it that you have to have a piece of tubing around your neck and in every room?" (paraphrase)

Some guy in the audience pointed out that Pearl said earlier that if spanking doesn't work (EE said she's seen kids hit 100 times), Pearl claimed that if spanking doesn't work, then you stop and reestablish trust through loving fellowship to correct the child. The guy in the audience said "Why don't you start with the fellowship first." :clap:

Pearl claimed that he does and that spanking is only 3% of his book. :obscene-tolietclaw:

That Butte County DA is putting it hard to Pearl about his moral responsibility. Ramsey is thoroughly disgusted by Pearl, and he's really giving it to him.

And there sits Pearl -- totally detatched and without reaction.

Makes you wonder what's going on in his head. "Here's a whole room full of people going to hell because they won't discipline their children, but God's polishing up a big ole mansion for me because I taught my modern world how to get it right." ?? Oh my goodness.

Considering Pearl doesn't know anything about animal training (my dog didn't learn agility by hitting), why would anyone trust his opinions on kids?

In fact, now that I think about it, when my dog got bopped on the read end by the teeter-totter, it almost ruined him, and took TONS of work to fix.

Man,

That studio is full of some angry looking people, shaking their heads...

Pearl says you want it to cause pain because it emulates the real world. Don't consequences emulate the real world? Doesn't a time out emulate the real world? Doesn't a loss of privileges emulate the real world.

Precisely. I mean, when you screw up at work, is it likely that your boss will come up and hit you? Of course not (hopefully!). You'll have a real world consequence like a write-up, a demotion, or termination.

What does hitting have to do with the "real world"?

I saw this earlier this afternoon. Most of you have brought up very salient points from the show. One thing that chilled me to my very marrow was the 911 call. This woman sounded so detached from the child's suffering. It was like she was ordering some Chinese food.

And on a shallow note, "mah boo" looked quite fetching in his baby blue sweater.

Keep up the good fight for the kids, St. Anderson!

I saw this earlier this afternoon. Most of you have brought up very salient points from the show. One thing that chilled me to my very marrow was the 911 call. This woman sounded so detached from the child's suffering. It was like she was ordering some Chinese food.

And on a shallow note, "mah boo" looked quite fetching in his baby blue sweater.

Keep up the good fight for the kids, St. Anderson!

The Williams' 911 call -- "Yes, I think my daughter's dead because I think she killed herself." "Why do you think she's dead?" "Well, you see, she's very rebellious."

Uh! A mother should be hysterical or struggling to control her emotions while she says things like "She's not breathing. I can't find a pulse. She won't wake up." Uh... not "Well, she's rebellious."

That' brings up an element that EE mentioned -- the detatched, cold and calculated way that people just do this process with their kids as they turn off their emotions. They sign their emotions and their reasoning over to Pearl's book. Then it's all business for the common good. They are forced to split psychologically.

Makes you wonder what's going on in his head. "Here's a whole room full of people going to hell because they won't discipline their children, but God's polishing up a big ole mansion for me because I taught my modern world how to get it right." ?? Oh my goodness.

Not to mention that the audience members likely have children that are functional members of society while Pearl's kids are a bunch of sorry losers.

I am fucking pissed. I went to set up the DVR to tape the show at 4PM and the god damn PAC-12 Championship game is on. Who gives a flying fuck about this stupid game? UCLA has fired their coach and he's a lame duck tonight and I don't like the Ducks either. I want ANDERSON!!!

So I am going to DVR the repeat on Monday. Hopefully I can catch more of this over the weekend.

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :angry-screaming: :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-teeth: :angry-banghead: :angry-argument: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-cussing:

I am fucking pissed. I went to set up the DVR to tape the show at 4PM and the god damn PAC-12 Championship game is on. Who gives a flying fuck about this stupid game? UCLA has fired their coach and he's a lame duck tonight and I don't like the Ducks either. I want ANDERSON!!!

So I am going to DVR the repeat on Monday. Hopefully I can catch more of this over the weekend.

:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :angry-screaming: :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-teeth: :angry-banghead: :angry-argument: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-cussing:

I wish they had a clip of that DA. I would not want to be Pearl and ever confronted with that man. His eyes would glare holes of conviction into you. On one of those CNN interviews, Ramsey comes right out and calls that book evil.

I just tuned in, and I must agree. It really brings out those smokin' eyes. :romance-hearteyes:

The audience is so wonderful, talking about how much they love their children and how they won't strike them. I'm glad the abusive fundies are being seen for what they are, and (seemingly) average janes and joes are standing up for their kids.

He has most of the symptoms of a sociopath.

Profile of the Sociopath

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying

Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation

Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature

Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency

Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity

Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle

Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Did my part on the Anderson thread, including warning people what a whackjob (religious isolationist, children not legally married, etc) Pearl is. If we're talking about the character of the adult who has gotten "whuppins...that's what we call 'em in the South" like Mikey, look how he turned out and run the other direction.

Archived