IGNORED

Show Sarah Malley Some Contradictions In The Bible

debrand

I don't know what you mean by just because he picked out the names he didn't create them. Do you mean that Adam didn't create the animals? I knew that. I get that god created the animals or are you trying to tell me something else (insert confused smilie here)

Yes. It was to show that God knew what He was doing the entire time. He was just allowing Adam to have some input because Adam had to be taught. Don't forget, Adam was like a child. He had no upbringing and didn't know what this life thing was all about. It's as if God was guiding a child. If you set a child at the table and you're both going to make a cake together, you might say "Okay sweetie, what should we put in our cake?" It's not that you don't know what you're doing. You're actually teaching the child. Now say that you already knew that your child would say chocolate because you are all knowing. You knew what you were doing, but you wanted your child to develop the art of making decisions, and getting him involved in the teaching was a good way to do it.

The animals came first. It's the translation. It should say something like "that already existed" or "had already made." Yâtsar was translated into "formed" for that verse. A better translation would have been that God brought Adam the animals that He had already made, or that He had already formed. Example: You made a baby blanket yesterday and you brought it to the hospital today because the baby was just born. You can say "I brought the baby a blanket that I had already made." Or you can say "I sewed a beautiful blanket and I brought it to the baby." In the second one, we don't know if you made the blanket before or after the baby was born. The bible is full of translations like this. What looks like a contradiction is actually a poor translation. That's why it isn't a good practice to read the bible and take it at what it says. Because many times, it really doesn't mean what it's translated into.

For reference, the Stone Edition Tanach uses "had formed."

Hashem God said, "It is not good that man be alone; I will make him a helper corresponding to him." Now, Hashem God had formed out of the ground every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man called each living creature, that remained his name.

Then again, this translation is obviously inferior because it fails to use the word "helpmeet." ;)

Thank you theologygeek. I think that is the first time I've had an explanation about the 2 stories that didn't end with the thought that I just needed to trust God. I try to be as good a Christian as I can and trust God but I'm not too sure about everyone else :) The old joke, in God I trust, everyone else pays cash LOL

However it still brings up the point that when something is translated the meaning can be slightly changed because we are in fact just human. I do believe that the Bible is the literal word of God as translated & relayed by humans. Having played the game of telephone growing up I have a hard time believing that the meaning hasn't changed as it was passed from person to person & translation to translation.

One other question for you please. How do you interpret the Bible's view on magic? Since we now know that they is no such thing as real magic are magicians still evil? Or is this just a part that most people assume no longer apply? I understand that in biblical days people who practiced magic were usually scam artists & it was good advice to avoid them. Now I see no problem with enjoying Chris Angel since I know that he isn't really levitating.

Archived