IGNORED

Fundie fashion advice!

annalena

Let's help our fundies out here so they don't have to look frumpy. I have some suggestions for them.

(Going by the Duggars' modesty standards, because everything else is way over the top)

a><!-- m -->

retro_vintage_fashion.jpg

Obviously, the 50ies style:

kleid-rot-arsvivendi.jpg

ars-vivendi-50er-Jahre-Kleid.jpg

ES4-yzw-0089-99__default__1.jpg this one with a nice jacket?

It actually CAN look good without being frumperish.

Come to notice it, the Duggars hardly ever wear dresses. Why?

/Edited to fix the links.

I get the impression from a lot of fundies that it's not just about being modest, but about being "seperate" and better than us heathans. We wear nice clothes because we're wordly or something idiotic like that.

True, maybe it's that.

I just wanted to show that you do not HAVE to wear a frumper to be "modest". With even crazier modesty standards than the Duggars' standards, i might get harder to be fashionable still.

To me, wearing Boots + jeans+ an undershirt + a t-shirt+ a pullover + a coat in German winter (it's not like you have a choice if you want to be modest or not, due to temperatures) is not exactly immodest either though. Would look something like this:

jennifer_aniston_justin_therou.jpg

No skin showing.

I really like most of the choices posted, but according to one fundie friend most of these wouldn't pass muster. The choices are either sleeveless or not enough sleeve coverage. She won't wear anything unless in comes to within a couple of inches of her elbow. Anything less is "defrauding." Her family are Gothardites, btw.

Come to notice it, the Duggars hardly ever wear dresses. Why?

I think I read somewhere that Gothard doesn't allow women's shirts to be tucked in, although I might be lost in his sea of crazy. Or something about women's clothes falling from the shoulders, because that was the Greek chiton-look popular in Jeebus' day. If he is against waists that could be the reason for the few dresses except frumpers. I think they relax the rules around weddings though.

Does anyone know, or am I just starting to hear Gothard-voices in my head?

Guest Anonymous

I think I read somewhere that Gothard doesn't allow women's shirts to be tucked in, although I might be lost in his sea of crazy. Or something about women's clothes falling from the shoulders, because that was the Greek chiton-look popular in Jeebus' day. If he is against waists that could be the reason for the few dresses except frumpers. I think they relax the rules around weddings though.

Does anyone know, or am I just starting to hear Gothard-voices in my head?

I thought that Gothard doesn't have any real "rules" just more like I wish you wouldn't

What exactly is a chiton-look?

I looked up the word, but the translation doesn's make any sense. :lol:

A chiton is a piece of cloth which is doubled over and pinned at the shoulders.

And Gothard doesn't know what he's talking about - chitons were gathered at the waist!

Re: Fundie fashion advice!

annalena wrote:

What exactly is a chiton-look?

I looked up the word, but the translation doesn's make any sense.

A chiton is a piece of cloth which is doubled over and pinned at the shoulders.

And Gothard doesn't know what he's talking about - chitons were gathered at the waist!

Yeah, I can't remember where I read this, but a there was quote by a fundie about women's garments hanging from the shoulders. I had to look up a picture of a chiton again because I was sure they were sleeveless and had a loose waist.

Yeah, come to think of it, you seldom if ever see the Duggar women (Michelle, included) wearing a one-piece dress. Why not?

I think it might be because of caring (the J'Slaves more than Michelle) for all the small kids, there's inevitably messes that occur

on or near the top of the body, (feedings, drooling, diaper changes) and it makes better sense to wear an outfit one can remove

the top of, rather than have to toss the whole thing into the laundry. Also, because clothes are easier to fit (and trade with one

another) if blouses/tops and skirts are the primary attire than dresses. And, denim skirts take more wear and tear than do dresses.

Because J'Chelle is usually nursing on a regular basis, it's easier for her to wear tops/skirts than dresses, hence the daughters are

somehow compelled to dress "just like Mom"...maybe Jim Bob likes his daughters to dress like Mom, too?

Well, I have skirt options for them too!

933723-22-MAGGIO-Knee-Length-Skirts.JPG.jpg

Not as, um, rough as jean skirt but prettier. Actually, something I would very much wear.

Yeah, I can't remember where I read this, but a there was quote by a fundie about women's garments hanging from the shoulders. I had to look up a picture of a chiton again because I was sure they were sleeveless and had a loose waist.

Yes, they're sleeveless.

Archived