IGNORED

Do fundies get their pets fixed?

Deleted08

Totally OT, but have you seen that Twilight Zone episode written by Earl Hammer (The Waltons) where the old man and his dog die while out coon hunting and then they walk up the road and try to get into "heaven"?

I'll say no more b/c it's full of awesomeness, but you would love it if you haven't seen it.

GMTA!

It's not so off-topic. It circles around the idea of what life is, whether we are users or stewards of the earth and its creatures, treasuring individual lives (which implies not just creating a bunch of them to keep the numbers up), and rigid belief with cruel laws vs. a kinder way of thinking of belief.

More quotes about the idea:

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~cypert/dick/inheaven.html

We usually did and if we didnt' it wasn't because of fundie beliefs. One of our dogs mothers won the big show in England (Crofts/Cross?) and he was a rare breed so we considered breeding him, though we never did. He wasn't allowed to run free so it wasn't an issue. The only other unspayed animal (also a breed that is fairly rare) that we had we were considering breeding but I wanted to get her hips checked first before I either spayed or bred her. Unfortunately because we weren't familiar with heat cycles in dogs we apparently locked her up too late. We did have puppies which we made sure were wormed, vaccinated, and homed. And then we spayed the mom because we didn't want a repeat. I almost got in a fight with our University vet because he didn't want to spay my cat before 6 months because of her size (she's still only 6#).

Kind of off topic, but maybe not, but this stray cat is hanging around the house and I think she might be pregnant. I can't let it starve, so I put food out for it because it looks pitiful. I've already called all the animal rescues and none of them will take it right now. I am so stressed this cat is going to give birth in my yard and I will be stuck with kittens. I wonder if I take it to the vet if they can give it an abortion. I wish people would fix their pets. This one is tame, so it is used to being around people. Anyway, off topic rant over.

Kind of off topic, but maybe not, but this stray cat is hanging around the house and I think she might be pregnant. I can't let it starve, so I put food out for it because it looks pitiful. I've already called all the animal rescues and none of them will take it right now. I am so stressed this cat is going to give birth in my yard and I will be stuck with kittens. I wonder if I take it to the vet if they can give it an abortion. I wish people would fix their pets. This one is tame, so it is used to being around people. Anyway, off topic rant over.

Does you area have any catch and release programs? They will catch the cat, spay/neuter it, and return it where it came from. Also your local shelter may have a reduced rate for a spay. It would cost you some $$ but it would eliminate the chance of kittens.

I think it is only for feral cats, this one isn't feral. I don't really want the cat and I really don't want kittens. I'm more of dog person myself. I guess when I put out food for it (but it was so sad looking and I really don't have a heart of stone) I messed up and now it isn't going to leave. There is like a waiting list for the reduced spay clinic and they only do it a couple of times a year.

The vet should still be able to spay her even if she's pregnant, unless she's about to drop. But they would usually charge more as its a slightly trickier operation. Still a better option IMHO than her giving birth to unwanted kittens though (which is probably riskier for her anyway).

I've rounded up several stray pregnant dogs and cats and had them spayed.

The vet can do it, but it does cost a little extra. The cost was worth my piece of mind. Having kittens around sounds a lot more fun than it actually is, even if they are outdoor animals.

Our local animal shelter cooperates with a big city animal shelter, and they put out an announcement that the big city place got a grant to help pay for spaying/neutering. They load up the critters here in the little city, and take them by van to the big city for the cheap fixin'. Wish you had something like that available.

Good luck.

I called the vet and I'm going to take her in next week after my husband gets paid. I can't tell if she is pregnant or not, but she looks skinny, but her tummy is starting to look a little fatter. I don't know if that is from having regular meals or pregnancy. After I get her shots and get her fixed I'm hoping to find someone to take her. My dogs don't like cats, but the local shelter is very high kill and I think they still gas, so no way I am taking her there. I'll keep her before I do that.

Archived