IGNORED

How Creepy Conservative Christian Modesty Doctrines Harm You

AtroposHeart

Modesty taught me that I was always on display. There was no occasion in which it was acceptable to be immodest. Not the beach, not at the pool with friends, not in my own backyard (sunbathing was out because a neighbor might glance over and see me). This took my normal self-consciousness as a teenage girl and amped it up to an impossible degree. I once had a bee fly down my (acceptably loose) shirt and, in flailing around to get it out, had a family member comment that I’d just “flashed†my own grandfather. I was horrified for the rest of the week. That’s not normal.

Her parents should have told that relative to shut up. No matter how fundie you are, why would you let someone guilt your child when they were trying to get a bee out of their shirt?

Some advocates of modesty go even further and demand that the girl still look cute and attractive to men. So on one hand, she can't attract men but on the other hand, she is supposed to be appealing to them.

Her parents should have told that relative to shut up. No matter how fundie you are, why would you let someone guilt your child when they were trying to get a bee out of their shirt?

When a bee or a spider gets in my clothes, I start running around while screaming GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF! I'm lucky if I also don't start stripping all my clothes and have done so in public. No, it isn't pretty to see a round little woman running around naked and screaming but most people seem to under stand that normally I don't act this way, just for bees, spiders and special occasions. Flashing my grandfather would be the last of my worries during that time or even after. :snooty:

When a bee or a spider gets in my clothes, I start running around while screaming GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF! I'm lucky if I also don't start stripping all my clothes and have done so in public. No, it isn't pretty to see a round little woman running around naked and screaming but most people seem to under stand that normally I don't act this way, just for bees, spiders and special occasions. Flashing my grandfather would be the last of my worries during that time or even after. :snooty:

hear hear!

...and now I have sprayed diet coke all over my lap top I am laughing so hard at this image! :lol:

:lol: :laughing-rolling: Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh.

OMG, that made me laugh so hard that my daughter got off of my lap because my "boobs are jiggleing too much"!

Love the "special occasions". Very funny.

Archived