IGNORED

A Duggar--Vanderhoff Thanksgiving

IReallyAmHopewell

I saw this on TMZ the other day and wondered if there was a particular reason for it. Do the Vanderhoffs have a blog or anything?

I wasn't able to find a blog.

3 turkeys for 50 people?? Only if they are 20 pounds each, and ya really can't fry anything bigger than 14. Again with the food rationing on proteins. I'm guessing they bought smoked turkeys at the grocery store rather than whipping out the old Weber.

Our family holidays on the East Coast typically had a minimum of 40, more typically about 50 with the extra roomies the college age folks brought or a new widow etc. We always had 2 huge turkeys, 20 lbs of kielbasa (smoked and fresh), 20 lbs of perogies, a huge pork roast or suckling pig and perhaps a stuffed breast of veal. That didn't include the specialties that each family added to the feast, three huge pans of stuffed cabbage, a Smithfield ham, not to mention the lasagna's, manicotti, and sausage and peppers from the Italians who married into our clan. Add to this, the traditional side dishes, stuffing, breads, yams, creamed corn, pearl onions, two kinds of smashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, coleslaws, salads, chopped chicken livers.

And no we didn't have dishwashers, but large kitchens, maybe an extra stove in the basement or garage. Everyone brought stacks of real china, and flatware. Amidst all the tumult of these grand feasts all the china and glassware and flatware was hand washed and returned to those that brought it. Same with the desert dishes. And piles of table linens and cloth napkins.

That article was pretty old. I saw maybe five non-white kids on the Duggars' porch waving goodbye. They looked mainly Central American, which would make sense since China has subsequently closed off adoptions to Americans.

I wonder how legit this organization is versus the one that tried to literally kidnap children out of Haiti. Yes, those kids desperately need homes, but it's not the right of some American NGO to snatch them (although I'm aware that pay to play adoptions happen all the time).

I guess the Vanderhoffs a)have a lot of money and b)have moved from Jersey since that article was written if they were able to housesit then have Thanksgiving with the Duggars. I'm sure TLC taped this; putting a couple with real Christian compassion next to Boob and Michelle might make them look better by association.

Archived