IGNORED

black friday humans or the possesed?

doggie

looking at the videos it makes me think the fundies are right. the insanity could not because by normal humans could it? only the devil could make people act like that, One thing it shows is what all the population in one state would look like according to the dugggers. When people are fed they would look like this. Watched people attach and tear apart cardboard displays looking for stuff (hunting animals with your bare hands?) fights over a game (dominance)? yelling screaming and wall to wall people with no personal space.

4_juEjtBREo

And that is half the reason why I slept in until 11 am. Never mind that at the crack of dawn I was still awake with a very sick tummy from living too high off the hog so to speak, but that is reason why I always sleep in on Black Friday. Just sick that people will sink so low and act like animals to one another. :naughty: :snooty:

This is why I do not participate. I went shopping one year and people were trying to kill each other just to get in the front door. Inside was a nut house with idiots SCREAMING, running and tripping over each other to get to whatever they considered to be the best deal. I was so disgusted that I couldn't stomach making a purchase and left as soon as the doors were clear enough for me to do so. Things like this gives me a case of the "Zsuzsu" (a strong hate for everyone).

It wouldn't be worth that to me no matter what they were selling, or how cheap they were selling it. Hell, they could give shit away and I wouldn't go through that mob of ass showing insanity. (note to the lady mooning the camera: Screw the waffle iron, you need some clothes that fit, cause those aren't cutting it).

I shop at a Walmart in what I consider to be a pretty nice area. Their store alone had 4 fights break out. One was over towels, another over sheets. Someone got their arm broken and had to be taken away by ambulance. Seriously folks? Over sheets? Really?

I have never been to one I may go in around 10:am but that's the closest I have gotten. I watched woman grabbing towels at walmart armloads of them with no care for color or amounts. There is not enough to last a minute but look at the lines. sorry but no way is anything that's on sale worth this. I looked at most of the ads and found nothing I wanted.

JuDTy0x06Ks

It wouldn't be worth that to me no matter what they were selling, or how cheap they were selling it. Hell, they could give shit away and I wouldn't go through that mob of ass showing insanity. (note to the lady mooning the camera: Screw the waffle iron, you need some clothes that fit, cause those aren't cutting it).

I shop at a Walmart in what I consider to be a pretty nice area. Their store alone had 4 fights break out. One was over towels, another over sheets. Someone got their arm broken and had to be taken away by ambulance. Seriously folks? Over sheets? Really?

I know and it just isn't worth it at any price. Heck, stay at home in your warm jammies and get better deals on-line with free shipping. No need to brave the cold, crowds and stress and you get to stay in your jammies all day. Win-win in my book.

eta; doggie, that song is perfect with that video.

did you hear about the woman who used pepper spray in a wal-mart? like, wtf??

Here's an article about the pepper spray incident. Police are still searching for the suspect.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... e-say.html

I've worked in retail and have seen enough craziness on Black Friday to where I stay home, unless I run out of something like milk or salt, and then it's going to the grocery store. The only other time I go out on Black Friday is to visit family I didn't get to see on Thanksgiving. To me, it's not worth the risk of being trampled or pepper sprayed to save money on crap, as there are more sales. In fact, I did some Christmas shopping on Tuesday, and the retail stores were practically empty even though there was still some good sales going on. Several years ago at a local Sears parking lot, the police had to be called to break up a fight over a parking space. When I heard that, my reaction was "WTF?"

i used to work in retail, too, and it was CRAZY. i was in a department store, and i was usually supposed to man the cash register and wander around my area, straightening things up and helping customers. well, that day, for the whole eight hours, i stood at the cash register and DID NOT MOVE THE ENTIRE TIME. and the line was ALWAYS at least several people long. and of course you'd get the people who wouldn't tell you they wanted a gift receipt until the transaction was complete, or they'd complain about a price, or they would misunderstand a sign and whine about how they wanted that specific price or percent off or just find ANYTHING to complain about...meanwhile they're holding up the line, which is growing and growing and growing...GAH I HATE BLACK FRIDAY.

Yeah, that would be an understatement. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

I never heard the first explanation they give of the name.

Much of my family worked retail, and we've called it "Black Friday," due to the hope that it would put a business on the black ink side of the ledger (making a profit), for as long as I can remember (and I'm in my 50s).

I think part of the reason it has become so over-blown is as much the human nature thing of being afraid one is going to miss something as it is specific deals that are being offered.

It's my idea of total insanity, though -- I just don't see the appeal.

I went to Black Friday at about 11 o'clock in the morning and it wasn't horrible, just a little busier than an average Saturday at the mall. I do think the opening at midnight is ridiculous because those employees should be able to finish enjoying their holiday and then get some sleep before heading to work. Our local paper ran a story about retail employees who hadn't slept since Wednesday. That, I think, is wrong.

I have to say, I'm somewhat surprised. I did Black Friday last year, at a Wal-Mart in my mother's town. The Wal-Mart is pretty much the only place to shop for anything, so I was bracing myself for it to be crazy, but it was positively tame - I didn't even see any arguments. I assumed, that with deaths and craziness in recent years, followed by more organization and stores opening earlier, that they'd figured out how to stem the crazy. I guess it's still very much a case-by-case basis.

My husband's comments were rather sad: "Gee what happened to the HOLIDAY of THANKSGIVING? All I'm seeing are ads for the HOLIDAY of Black Friday."

WTF? I think he's right.

I had a FB friend post last night that she was finally done shopping at 9:30pm. They had left her house (mom and sisters) at 9:30pm on Thursday. Twenty hours of shopping. No thank you!

This year, we drove across the state and surprised my family. They had no idea we were coming, and the surprise was perfect. I called my sister about a block from her house and asked her how her day was going. She told me she was giving a cooking lesson, so I teased her since I'm the one who likes to cook. Sister jokes back "Well, if you'd come home for the holiday ever maybe you could give the lessons!" At that point, she heard the door bell ring and though it was our father....her daughter answered the door and was speechless. My sister ran into the room and gave me the best hug I think I've ever had from her and started crying.

Then we had a terrible, overcooked, extremely dry turkey, which I did not tease her about.

No shopping, no thoughts of shopping anywhere at her house. Just happy family actually enjoying each other.

Honestly, I'm tired of being treated/called a "consumer." I'm tired of the ads - online, in the paper/magazines, on television, in my email - you cannot escape them. Over the past several years, my husband and I have been trying to simplify our lives, and that means getting rid of, and not buying more of, things that take up space in the house.

I used to spend quite a bit on holiday gifts but as the family grew, so did the number of people I had to buy for. A few years ago, I started giving gifts that meant something. I always have a specific gift in mind for each person. Some are hand-made (I make beaded jewelry), some are sentimental, and for the things that I get from the store or online, I find the best deals. Knowing what I want is so much better than randomly going to these crazy sales and grabbing things just because they seem like good deals.

So, no, I don't really do the Black Friday thing.

That's why if you're going to go Black Friday shopping, and you don't need anything specific, go around 2pm. All the asshats who have gone to the mall at midnight are sleeping the sleep of the consumerist crazy, and the ones who got up at 6 am are probably taking a lunch or gone back home by now.

I had to get bras on Friday and go to sprint to change a phone number (ex psycho stalker friend!). We went around 2-3 pm and Sprint was dead, the mall was like a normal run of the mill busy Saturday. My mother in law (who is British) was shocked because she's seen videos like the one above and assumed it was like a perpetual all day riot she wanted nothing to do with.

When I was a kid, people did go shopping the day after Thanksgiving, but it was not called "Black Friday", and the only thing I recall people acting like freaks about were Cabbage Patch Kids. The big department stores would unveil their displays that day, which only Nordstroms does anymore; most are up well before Thanksgiving. Now Christmas commercials start the day after Halloween, and some stores have Christmas crap in them even before then. Stores used to be closed on holidays, and now the fantastic marketers are opening stores on Thanksgiving, which should be a time to give thanks, not covet.

I realize I live in America, where the real religion is consumerism, but, can't people not shop for a couple of days a year?

When I was younger, I would always go to the mall the day after Christmas to get my holiday stuff for the next year. Since I worked retail, it was usually before my shift. I don't remember much about the day after Thanksgiving, it was not as crazy back in the 70's as it is now. I do remember when I worked at the bank, it was usually one of the slowest days of the year though. Because we were in an area that was supported by aerospace, most of the companies had 2 days off. The Wednesday before was hell though.

And the woman who peppersprayed has turned herself in:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... .A.+Now%29

I went to Black Friday sales at Walmart at 11 PM on Thanksgiving and then to Target at about 1 AM. Everyone was polite and there was no violence; just a lot of shoppers.

Unfortunately, these sales tend to pull in a lot of low income people who cannot afford to get their kids the "in" toy unless it is a killer deal. I got all my Christmas shopping done in about 4 hours and spend about a third of what the items otherwise cost, which is worth braving the crowds (for me at least).

Archived