IGNORED

Laws in a Mormon Country

emmiedahl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up here in Blue law Country (Connecticut) you can't buy alcohol in a store on Sundays or after 9pm, it was 8pm until a few years ago. Stores used to open after noon on Sundays when I was young but that law has ended.

We also have some goodies such as: (these may or may not still exist, but they once did)

• -No one shall run on the Sabbath day, or walk in his garden or elsewhere, except reverently to and from meeting
    -A man that strikes his wife shall pay a fine of £10; a woman that strikes her husband shall be punished as the Court directs
    -Married persons must live together, or be imprisoned.

There are also many areas/villages/towns in my last place of residence (Alaska) that ban the sale and or possession of alcohol. They take it very seriously and transporting alcohol to some of these towns will land you in jail.

Caffeine is also used medicinally for people with migraines and asthma to name two things..

That's where my brain went.

Considering my coffee is for migraine purposes only. mostly.

What's funny is that Salt Lake City is like Land of Starbucks. I was there for a week last summer and I slept horribly like I always do when I travel, so I used the GPS on my cell phone to search for caffeine and there was a Starbucks like every two blocks. Of course, it's possible that most places are like that and I'm just not used to it because where I live, we have Starbucks, obviously, but we also have a lot of Tully's and Moxie Javas and a ton of local coffee shops, all of which are more popular than Starbucks.

Here in Ramsey County you have to buy liquor at a liquor store, not in the grocery store. I use wine and beer for cooking, and having previously lived in states where I could buy those in the grocery stores it was a surprise to learn I couldn't here.

Oh yeah, I think that's the whole state - it's a pain in the ass, let me tell you. I love being able to pick up wine and beer at the grocery store when we go to Iowa. When my son was littler I just took him in the store with me when I picked up stuff for cooking or parties - nobody even blinked when he was an infant - but now he's big enough, this summer I got asked to leave him in the taped-off area by the door that's legal for under-21s. No thank you. But it's hard to schedule a kid-free shopping trip during the hours the liquor store is open. I have to wait for him to go to bed!

Also in Wisconsin people take kids to bars all the time, and that was true in Iowa when I was growing up - like, corner bars would have a foozball table and a pool table and serve some food and kids would just hang out & drink pop & play games while their parents had a beer and talked. Seems like nobody does it here. Minnesota is weird.

Also in Wisconsin people take kids to bars all the time, and that was true in Iowa when I was growing up - like, corner bars would have a foozball table and a pool table and serve some food and kids would just hang out & drink pop & play games while their parents had a beer and talked. Seems like nobody does it here. Minnesota is weird.

I think it was more common when I was a kid too, even in CA. I think that the no people under 21 rule is just much more enforced now, so it's changed all over. (though the bars we were in usually belonged to family friends)

Not to thread-jack but shortly before we resigned from the mormon church, my mom and I decided to rebel and get ourselves some coffees. Well from drinking the coffee I got an ulcer and thought God was punishing me. I got down on my knees and repented harder than I ever have and I still didn't feel better. I was totally immersed in mormonism and so it was hard for me to forgive myself for breaking the rule.

Anyway back on topic, I often wonder what it would be like to live in a mormon-run theocracy. The idea makes me sick, knowing what I was taught and how much my life sucked when I was a member, I could never live that way.

Pre-marital sex would probably become a capital offense. :lol:

Oh and I don't know about framed pictures of parents being in kids rooms, but I do know that it was encouraged that every room of the house have a picture of a temple or Christ in it. At least in my stake in Michigan.

Not to thread-jack but shortly before we resigned from the mormon church, my mom and I decided to rebel and get ourselves some coffees. Well from drinking the coffee I got an ulcer and thought God was punishing me. I got down on my knees and repented harder than I ever have and I still didn't feel better. I was totally immersed in mormonism and so it was hard for me to forgive myself for breaking the rule.

I stopped wearing my garments in August and was afraid I'd get in a car wreck or something, but nope! I'm alive and kickin' and quite happy. I also got a bottled mocha frappuccino from the grocery store about a month ago. What a bad ass!

Were you actually diagnosed? An ulcer is unlikely to happen from one cup of coffee, but I would probably blame the stress of trying to decide whether or not to stay in the church for it instead of the coffee.

Did they test your kidney stone? I didn't have to give up ALL caffine, just some stuff like instant coffee. I did have to change my veggie eating habits.

I didn't know caffeine gives you kidney stones... should I cut down?

What about the veggies, did you just have to eat more of them?

Sorry for threadjack, I am curious 'cause I am kinda a caffeine addict too :|

I stopped wearing my garments in August and was afraid I'd get in a car wreck or something, but nope! I'm alive and kickin' and quite happy. I also got a bottled mocha frappuccino from the grocery store about a month ago. What a bad ass!

LOL, I never made it to the age to get garments but I'm sure if I had I would have figured that I'd spontainiously combust or something of the sort. I drink ice tea all the time now, I had always loved it but was forced to give it up when we converted, I'm back to drinking it and it is a totally healthy substitute for all the pop I drank as a mormon. Although I was always scolded by other young women's members for drinking Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew with caffeine. So I was screwed either way.

Were you actually diagnosed? An ulcer is unlikely to happen from one cup of coffee, but I would probably blame the stress of trying to decide whether or not to stay in the church for it instead of the coffee.

Yes I was diagnosed with one. It was two 20 oz. cups of coffee in one day. My doctor told me that is what most likely caused the ulcer. It was probably the combination of self-hatred and the coffee, of course I didn't tell my doctor about the predicament I was in, so who knows.

Did they test your kidney stone? I didn't have to give up ALL caffine, just some stuff like instant coffee. I did have to change my veggie eating habits.

Mine was found to be Calcium oxalate = diet. Not really caffeine but found in items that have caffeine, among other.

Oxalate is in tea, coffee, cola, dark greens (like spinach), sweet potatoes, chocolate, strawberries and other berries.....and on and on, the lists were extensive and broken up into categories. The more water you have, the more likely the oxalate will be dissolved and unable to form the stones.

Mine was only 5.5 mm and needed to be removed, it was painful as hell and the hospital bills (even with good insurance) are horrid. Initial thinking at the ER based on location, type and severity of pain was appendix, so there really wasn't going to be waiting around for a regular doctor. I am desperately hoping never to repeat the experience.[

I didn't know caffeine gives you kidney stones... should I cut down?

What about the veggies, did you just have to eat more of them?

Sorry for threadjack, I am curious 'cause I am kinda a caffeine addict too :|

I've read many different things- some doctors say it's caffine, others say it's another compound in coffee and tea, still others say it's in instant coffee, and some don't worry at all. But basically you need to keep hydrated and caffene doesn't help with that.

My stones are calcium oxalate, so I have to stay away from foods that are high in oxalic acid. I also have to watch my sodium. My stones, as are most, have a genetic link- several family members get the same kind of stone. I have to admit that I've gotten lazy, as I haven't had a stone in many years. But my laziness really only includes taking vitamin C, which my doctor thinks is probably safe, and allowing limited amounts of some of the prohibited foods, and of course the cherry coke, coffee and tea. (I do drink a lot of water too)

Here is a link to more info about stones. In any case, go along with what your doctor suggests, and if you haven't had stones, you may not be predisposed for them so don't freak out and change your diet just because some people have issues with digesting some things. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/ ... stonediet/

Mine was found to be Calcium oxalate = diet. Not really caffeine but found in items that have caffeine, among other.

Oxalate is in tea, coffee, cola, dark greens (like spinach), sweet potatoes, chocolate, strawberries and other berries.....and on and on, the lists were extensive and broken up into categories. The more water you have, the more likely the oxalate will be dissolved and unable to form the stones.

Mine was only 5.5 mm and needed to be removed, it was painful as hell and the hospital bills (even with good insurance) are horrid. Initial thinking at the ER based on location, type and severity of pain was appendix, so there really wasn't going to be waiting around for a regular doctor. I am desperately hoping never to repeat the experience.[

How long did they give the stone to pass? In my family's experience it's really uncommon for them to go in right away. The worst one, well two, that I had they waited a month for it to pass before doing anything but pain control, it WAS miserable. My grandfather was hospitalized a couple times while they waited for his to pass. Stones are also partly genetic, and not entirely diet based (which is why some people can eat a certain diet and never have problems and others have tons of problems.) And I do know about oxalates and stuff, I've had stones three times, the last time after I changed my diet...

How long did they give the stone to pass? In my family's experience it's really uncommon for them to go in right away. The worst one, well two, that I had they waited a month for it to pass before doing anything but pain control, it WAS miserable. My grandfather was hospitalized a couple times while they waited for his to pass. Stones are also partly genetic, and not entirely diet based (which is why some people can eat a certain diet and never have problems and others have tons of problems.) And I do know about oxalates and stuff, I've had stones three times, the last time after I changed my diet...

No time at all. I went in on Saturday afternoon and they took it out Sunday morning. My white blood count was apparently pretty up there so they weren't messing around. The doctor said there was no way it would have passed with my anatomy. After hearing of friends/coworkers whose doctors have had them try to pass 8-10mm stones, I am very thankful I only had one day and night of just wanting it all to be over! I couldn't read, knit, sit up straight....

No genetic link in my family at all and given what the doctor found, he said I'm prone for more in the future. So its the goal to prevent. (And just had another huge glass of water after my last post! lol)

Yeah, I end up curling up in a ball, I can't move either. Usually I end up with a bladder and/or kidney infection, but yours must have been major with that fast of a removal. I think that they often ultrasound them to break them up now too. I have to say that waiting a month for one to pass, with an attack every time it shifted, was the most miserable month of my life. There are still foods that I should be able to eat, and can't because I ate them before an attack during that time. It was over 10 years ago too.

I think that nearly everybody with oxalate stones is prone to more, we've just got messed up anatomy. I honestly wouldn't know the genetic link if I wasn't close to my extended family. It isn't my parents or siblings who have had stones.

I apologize ahead of time but I haven't read all the responses here. All I can say is I am always pissed that Target and the local mall stores are all closed on Easter and Christmas. There are other holy holidays for non-Christian religions -- why are these two so sacred?

In Washington state, the liquor stores are state controlled (but that will be changing in June 2012 due to a very controversial vote here about 3 weeks ago). I must say, though, that the state has made a really good effort at keeping liquor under control but also making the liquor stores open 7 days a week and even some holidays. So they were really trying to maintain that control without giving it up to privatization. It will be interesting to see how this all rolls out. Washington, as liberal a state as it is, is one of the last states to have to give up liquor control.

BTW, how many times can I possibly say "liquor control" in one posting? Off to find my tangerine vodka...

Oh yeah, I think that's the whole state - it's a pain in the ass, let me tell you. I love being able to pick up wine and beer at the grocery store when we go to Iowa. When my son was littler I just took him in the store with me when I picked up stuff for cooking or parties - nobody even blinked when he was an infant - but now he's big enough, this summer I got asked to leave him in the taped-off area by the door that's legal for under-21s. No thank you. But it's hard to schedule a kid-free shopping trip during the hours the liquor store is open. I have to wait for him to go to bed!

OMG can't imagine that. Most pubs here have hours where kids can be in. But they are not banned (well, there are some pubs you wouldn't take a kid to.)

My niece was a preemie and when she was six weeks old we took her to a pub. She slept quietly in her carrier or in my or my brother's arms while we had a couple of pints. She was tiny and a lot of people came over to "awww!" There's an old tradition in Scotland of giving money for the baby so when I or bro was holding her we found people had tucked money away in her carrier. My brother used the money to buy nappies and formula. He was very grateful.

One old couple got a bit tearful on seeing her. They told us about their kids and came and sat down with us. It was generally a lovely experience.

Yet in South Jersey, you can buy liquor/wine in grocery stores (Wegman's that I know of, but probably others) and places like Sams Club. Go figure. At least North Jersey (I grew up in Morris County) isn't like Pennsylvania (where I live now) and makes you buy your liquor and wine from a state store. The prices my parents get at Bottle King, Shop Rite liquors, and A&P Liquors are SO much better than what I can get here. We're talking like a $5-$10 difference per bottle.

Preach it sister!! Our liquor stores are also still closed Sunday, so you have to plan ahead. I have noticed some of the big Giant Eagle Market Districts(PA grocery store) are starting to carry some speciality beer. I believe I heard a Sheetz(gas station/store) just got a permit as well. Its slowly coming to PA. I really hope it does, as I have friends who rave about Trader Joe's cheap wine and I would like to try it.

Ulcers are not caused by coffee, nor by stress (despite that commonly held belief).

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/

A bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is a major cause of peptic ulcers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin and ibuprofen, are another common cause. Rarely, cancerous or noncancerous tumors in the stomach, duodenum, or pancreas cause ulcers.

Peptic ulcers are not caused by stress or eating spicy food, but both can make ulcer symptoms worse. Smoking and drinking alcohol also can worsen ulcers and prevent healing.

Ulcers are not caused by coffee, nor by stress (despite that commonly held belief).

That's interesting. Like I said, I have no clue what caused it, my doctor just told me I had one and said it was most likely caused by the coffee. I had heard that coffee can cause them and make them worse so I went with that.

Thanks- I was sure that two cups of coffee couldn't have caused an ulcer- aggrivated it, yes, but caused it, no.

Probably a case of "we know so much about our bodies but still so little. Just like how we've all gotten different advice and treatment on kidney stones.

Preach it sister!! Our liquor stores are also still closed Sunday, so you have to plan ahead. I have noticed some of the big Giant Eagle Market Districts(PA grocery store) are starting to carry some speciality beer. I believe I heard a Sheetz(gas station/store) just got a permit as well. Its slowly coming to PA. I really hope it does, as I have friends who rave about Trader Joe's cheap wine and I would like to try it.

In several counties there are a handful of stores that are open from 12:00-5:00 on Sunday. Thankfully, there is one in close proximity to me. Wegman's has a great selection of specialty beers that we like to get, but the Giant, Surefine/Nell's, and Weis don't carry it around here yet. Wegman's had a wine kiosk for a while, but that was a complete and utter disaster, and they told the LCB to take it the fuck out. Aldi supposedly has decent wine, but I'd really like to try Wegman's when they are finally allowed to carry it. The closest TJ's to me is in Maryland... I wonder if they sell wine there.

That's interesting. Like I said, I have no clue what caused it, my doctor just told me I had one and said it was most likely caused by the coffee. I had heard that coffee can cause them and make them worse so I went with that.

I think that doctor was uninformed/out of date, or apparently incompetent.

Clear documentation of H pylori as the cause of ulcers was published by major peer-reviewed journals in the 80s, but was not widely accepted until the mid 90s when the patents for acid reducing drugs expired, removing drug companies' financial incentives to resist antibiotics as treatment for ulcers (the antibiotics work because they kill the H pylori bacteria).

The docs that proved all this received a Nobel prize for their work in 2005.

Archived