IGNORED

Teri is thankful for the nursing home church

lilwriter85

I was just looking at the Maxwell family members' gratitude lists and Teri listed the nursing home church in her list. Oh yes, Teri you are so thankful that your family holds services at a nursing home so you can protect your precious children.

I was just looking at the Maxwell family members' gratitude lists and Teri listed the nursing home church in her list. Oh yes, Teri you are so thankful that your family holds services at a nursing home so you can protect your precious children.

Their lists read like self adoration and propaganda for their way of life and their god.

Man, those were some depressing lists. It makes me thankful for being allowed to be a unique person and not just an iteration of my father.

THIS!

I am thankful for many, many things. Too many to narrow down into a list of any kind.

Right now, I am immensely grateful I was not born a Maxwell.

Mary's list included a sad, strange one: "Susannah Joy and my other two nieces". Why only name the one that died?

That was pretty weird and sad.

Mary's list included a sad, strange one: "Susannah Joy and my other two nieces". Why only name the one that died?

To make it clear that they consider her one of the family still? I dunno. You'd think she'd name the two living kids too, though.

Well Mary is still pretty young and maybe this is her way to express that this tragedy had a deep impact on her. Maybe she is some kind of traumatized. To whom could she talk? Teri and Steve only would tell her to pray and be the silent, obedient girl that she already is.

To make it clear that they consider her one of the family still? I dunno. You'd think she'd name the two living kids too, though.

It's a bit weirdly phrased, too... I guess Mary is saying they were thankful that she ever lived, but it comes across lexically more like her being thankful she died.

And Teri's thankful for Uriah!!!11!!!

Speaking of Uriah, I was going thru lists of students on Tuesday to make a list of kids with anaphylaxis history. There were two Uriahs, one a first name (boy), and one a last name. I couldn't believe it. :geek:

Right now, I am immensely grateful I was not born a Maxwell.

This.

It really struck me how nothing on the list is evident of any joy in their lives.

Jesus, who bought me with His precious blood and saved me. He owns me, and I delight to be His!

When I read that, all I could think was that Sarah really wants a boyfriend.

Opportunity to bring joy to the elderly at our church.

Oh, Sarah.

You know what's particularly disturbing about the Maxwell list? Almost all of their items listed are the same. There is almost no individuality. Not that it's a surprise, but it really brings home the fact that these people aren't individuals -- they are all clones of Steve.

You know what's particularly disturbing about the Maxwell list? Almost all of their items listed are the same. There is almost no individuality. Not that it's a surprise, but it really brings home the fact that these people aren't individuals -- they are all clones of Steve.
That really stood out to me too. The lists are all the same stuff only reworded slightly, and even in very much the same order.

Plus it's all so sterile - look at us, we are thankful for things that let us live the perfect life. There are no entries with any individuality like "I'm thankful my dentist checkup went well" or "I'm thankful for good weather in the garden" or anything.

They are all little robots and that isn't a big surprise. You develop your identity through your the people you interact with like your friends, classmate or teachers and thats something the Maxwell kids never experienced.

I read those lists and nearly cried. What sad sad lives those poor kids (and adults) lead.

The Maxwells are thankful for the Maxwells. Nothing and no one outside their family cult is worth their consideration, much less worth being grateful for. Besides, anything good that happens to them is all god's blessing, not the actions of anyone else.

They weren't grateful for the mechanics who got the bus up and running from its latest (predictable) break down; it was god's blessings on them. They pray, god tells Steve what to do, they thank god and then tell everyone how especially blessed they are.

They are not thankful for other people or what any other person does because no one does anything for them but their god; the one who spends so much time blessing them, he forgets to bless those who are sick and starving and homeless. Their view of life, god and themselves won't let them be grateful or thankful to or for any other human being or circumstance.

Well Mary is still pretty young and maybe this is her way to express that this tragedy had a deep impact on her. Maybe she is some kind of traumatized. To whom could she talk? Teri and Steve only would tell her to pray and be the silent, obedient girl that she already is.

I found it strange too but I wonder if Mary is thinking a lot about Susannah because both of her SILs are pregnant and she's scared that she will loose another niece/nephew?

I liked that Uriah got a few shout outs.

I found it strange too but I wonder if Mary is thinking a lot about Susannah because both of her SILs are pregnant and she's scared that she will loose another niece/nephew?

That's a good point, and I'll bet you're on to something there. I realize a niece's death would be traumatic to any young person, but I wonder how Mary, who lives in a family that truly believes God protects them personally, justifies such a death in her mind? I wonder if it rocked her budding faith, even somewhat? I mean her brother prays to see the northern lights and gets his prayer answered, but a much loved and wanted niece dies. I wonder how a young girl makes sense of that.

Terri's item of thankfulness for "the man" she's been married to for the past 37 years seems clinical and dry.

Poor Sarah thinks she has the "ability to write."

And her note of thanks that, "All my needs taken care of" sounds like she's glad she doesn't have to worry her pretty little head about anything.

Have to wonder if these people will ever wake up and what will happen if they do.

I left this comment:

I’m thankful for my mother in law who left us yesterday. She raised 5 kids, each unique and different and one is my husband. She had a simple faith, and was there for anyone who needed help even when she was hurting and sick.

I’m thankful for a roof over my head. A bed to sleep in. Good books in my library and wonderful choices to read.

I’m thankful for our Lord Jesus Christ whose grace is freely given without condition. For his mercy upon us all and for his love which is daily felt.

I’m thankful for my 2 children who have grown to be wonderful adults. Who have gifts of their own and use them daily.

I’m thankful for my Mom. She’s my hero. She loves me and reminds me daily of how to walk with the Lord. She’s 86 and very independent. Tomorrow she and her grandkids are leaving for Yosemite. Just to go and see the majesty.

I’m thankful for my husband who loves me very much, holds my hand when I need him, and is my best friend.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Think they will print it?

That's a good point, and I'll bet you're on to something there. I realize a niece's death would be traumatic to any young person, but I wonder how Mary, who lives in a family that truly believes God protects them personally, justifies such a death in her mind? I wonder if it rocked her budding faith, even somewhat? I mean her brother prays to see the northern lights and gets his prayer answered, but a much loved and wanted niece dies. I wonder how a young girl makes sense of that.

Good point with the random prayer answered. I wonder if Susannah's death causes Mary to question her faith more then the older ones who had already had it well beat into them that God doesn't always answer prayers. I'm sure Steve and Terri had Mary convinced that she needed to pray constantly for Susanah to live. I hope Mary continues to ponder things and question the boring existance she has until one day she steals the keys to Uriah and goes as far as she can before he breaks down. Unfortunately that would probably not be far and Steve would do a brisk run and bring her back. :(

Archived