IGNORED

What Do Fundie Purity Rings Look Like?

luv2laugh

What kind of purity rings do most fundies typically get? Do they get the usual casual looking ones or expensive ones with diamonds and such?

I suppose it depends on how much the family can afford and if they feel a showy ring would be too wordly. I still wear mine because it is really pretty even though I'm married. It is a big natual pearl surrounded by smaller diamonds.

most of the kids in the southern baptist church I grew up in wore sterling silver rings. one girl had a pretty one that had a pearl in the center and a small diamond on each side. she said "the pearl represents God and the diamonds represent my future husband and me."

I'm venturing to say that most purity rings are sterling silver or another type of inexpensive ring, instead of anything so elaborate. though, who knows.... if the ring will need to last the wearer a while...

I think there's a lot of variance amongst families. The Duggars mentioned in their last book that the girls could choose whatever style they liked, but maybe they have to start off with the plain gold band. Joy is wearing that now. But Jana used to have the plain band and has gotten an "upgrade" as noticed on recent episodes of the show and book signings. I've noticed Jinger's ring is thick silver and worn on her middle finger (it may be that she lost weight and it no longer fits on her ring finger?). But I think she too had the "starter" band. I recently saw a shot of Jill's hands and she still opts for the plain band. Not sure about Jessa.

I also recall Anna (Mrs. Smuggar) wore a plain gold purity band that Smugs replaced with the "half carrot" during that more than awkward proposal scene.

My friend wore jade because it was British Columbia's stone. I always thought that was a really neat idea, the concept of purity rings aside. Of course, she is now a he living with his girlfriend, so I think the "purity ring" meaning is long gone!

Do the Duggar boys wear purity rings, or just the girls? I know they tend to be more popular with girls, but the Duggar family seems to at least be unhypocritical and emphasise purity for boys, too.

I think there's a lot of variance amongst families. The Duggars mentioned in their last book that the girls could choose whatever style they liked, but maybe they have to start off with the plain gold band. Joy is wearing that now. But Jana used to have the plain band and has gotten an "upgrade" as noticed on recent episodes of the show and book signings. I've noticed Jinger's ring is thick silver and worn on her middle finger (it may be that she lost weight and it no longer fits on her ring finger?). But I think she too had the "starter" band. I recently saw a shot of Jill's hands and she still opts for the plain band. Not sure about Jessa.

I also recall Anna (Mrs. Smuggar) wore a plain gold purity band that Smugs replaced with the "half carrot" during that more than awkward proposal scene.

I wonder if they pass the starter band down as each older girl gets an upgrade? Wear used jewelry and save the difference? :roll:

I wonder if they pass the starter band down as each older girl gets an upgrade? Wear used jewelry and save the difference? :roll:

I really doubt one that fitted Jill's spindly fingers would get around Jinger's or Joy's!

Archived