IGNORED

Turkey Day at the Duggars

NurseNell

As I'm cooking my 12 lb turkey in preparation for tomorrow's dinner with my younger son, DIL, and 2 little grandson's I got to thinking about the Duggars. How many turkeys do they cook? And mashed potatoes, uffda, that would be a whole lot of potatoes to peel, although I use baby reds and leave the skin on. Has there ever been a TLC show on thanksgiving with the Duggars?

Guest Anonymous

They probably shred the meat from a single turkey leg and share it between two casserole dishes, along with a large bag of tater tots and a can or two of cream of mushroom. :lol:

DH got a 22lb turkey, for three of us, sigh. In a week he's going to be complaining about eating left overs.

They probably use box mashed potatoes.

-QKdwaUo5wI

I know there was more on this episode but I can't seem to find anything more on youtube.

Doh :doh: , I just found the latest blog of the Duggars with the same video. Anyway, a side note on the yeast rolls they make or should I say Jana makes is listed on there. From the full length epi of a very Duggars Thanksgiving we learned that teen Jana did most of the cooking/baking and prep work. No idea who cooks the turkey though.

Link to their latest blog: http://duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11 ... ggars.html

Why in the world would they need 15 pies? If there are 8 slices per pie, and each person eats 2 slices... Shouldn't they only need 5? Maybe 6 if there are bigger eaters?

They probably just want to make sure they have enough leftover pie. I always make "too much" pie, too, but I love pie and want to eat it for a coupel days after.

although...15 pies is a lot of work!

not even instant mashed potato flakes, they probably get potato pearls like they use in school cafeterias (as shown on a first season episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution).

And possibly just one turkey, and hot dogs for the "little ones".

And jell-o with mashed up cranberries in it.

Oh, crap, they had A Very Duggar Thanksgiving special? I hope it comes on again, I need to search so I can DVR it, lol.

Why in the world would they need 15 pies? If there are 8 slices per pie, and each person eats 2 slices... Shouldn't they only need 5? Maybe 6 if there are bigger eaters?

This. I think they totally inflate the numbers a lot so people ooh and ahh over it.

We go around the table, from the youngest to the oldest, to say one thing," explains Michelle in a People article. "You can't repeat what someone else has said they are thankful for, so it gets harder the longer it goes around.

I pity the last few kids who have to say anything. God, Jesus, Family, TLC would go pretty quick and what are the rest left with what? Flip flops? Curly hair? Waiting for Prince Charming? Plus the food would get cold having to wait for 20+ people to go.

Actually, making 15 pumpkin pies would be relatively easy. Even if you make each crust separately, if you make the crust in a food processor, it takes about 5 mins total (including measuring the ingredients). Then the pumpkin pie mixture takes another 5 (if you use the large cans of pumpkin, you get 2 pies from each mix).

Now, if she had made 15 apple pies, that would have been a lot of work...

They probably just want to make sure they have enough leftover pie. I always make "too much" pie, too, but I love pie and want to eat it for a coupel days after.

although...15 pies is a lot of work!

There's no such thing as too much pie ;)

This. I think they totally inflate the numbers a lot so people ooh and ahh over it.

I pity the last few kids who have to say anything. God, Jesus, Family, TLC would go pretty quick and what are the rest left with what? Flip flops? Curly hair? Waiting for Prince Charming? Plus the food would get cold having to wait for 20+ people to go.

lmao, I'm rolling over here!! :D

They probably shred the meat from a single turkey leg and share it between two casserole dishes, along with a large bag of tater tots and a can or two of cream of mushroom. :lol:

THIS.

Have we ever seen them eating, you know, an actual piece of meat? (at home, not at a restaurant) They MIGHT do it for Thanksgiving, but that's probably the only time all year. The rest of the time they stretch a pound of hamburger 20 ways by mixing it into a big ol' bowl of processed fat & carbs.

And on the pies - why ALL pumpkin? Why not a few pumpkin, plus apple, peach, cherry, blueberry, rhubarb, lemon meringue, etc. Nothing wrong with variety, and INDIVIDUALITY! (Unless you're a Duggar.)

I'm more concerned about side dishes in general. I know it's almost blasphemous, but I don't really care about the turkey. To me, it's just wasted space in my stomach that could be used for the important stuff, like corn souffle, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, crescent rolls with butter, stuffing, and pie. Yeah, I loves me some carbs. Anyway, I doubt they have the good stuff for side dishes. I could eat a giant pile of mac & cheese alone if I didn't have to fit all the other stuff on my plate. And even though I love the cheap boxed stuff, I only want homemade at Thanksgiving. I'm sure they don't make good sides, and certainly not enough for everyone to have the amount I would like. It's kind of a shame because mac & cheese isn't much harder to make than TTC, and you can even make it ahead. And even mashed potatoes isn't a big deal if you leave the skin on. But they probably break out the instant potatoes, the Stovetop stuffing, and the frozen Stauffer's macaroni even though they have that gigantic kitchen to cook in.

Yeah, never enough pie!! My family made extra pies too, just because we liked them and they were great for breakfast the next day.

My BFF makes the best chocolate pie ever. She has promised to make me one tomorrow. I crave this pie - and in general I can walk away from desserts. :D

Yeah, never enough pie!! My family made extra pies too, just because we liked them and they were great for breakfast the next day.

I love pie for breakfast! It's my favorite Thanksgiving leftover.

My BFF makes the best chocolate pie ever. She has promised to make me one tomorrow. I crave this pie - and in general I can walk away from desserts. :D

Whoawhoawhoa. You said chocolate pie? Can you wrangle the recipe out of her? :mrgreen:

Whoawhoawhoa. You said chocolate pie? Can you wrangle the recipe out of her? :mrgreen:

What kind of chocolate pie is it? I make chocolate french silk pie, it is amazing. (It's also what I have every year for my birthday cake.)

Apparently, the Duggars are hosting Thanksgiving for 50 this year.

http://www.tmz.com/2011/11/24/duggar-fa ... -counting/

Do we know who the Vanderhoff family of 23 people is?

They are a family with 9 bio and 12 adopted children. And that's all I know.

edited to remove 21 children since a family of 23 people presumably has 2 parents and 21 children

Archived