IGNORED

C Jane 43 weeks preggo?

NothingLeftToLose

Mrs S, I was thinking you might be responding to comments about the irresponsibility of not inducing or going past a certain date? Because there was a little bit of saying what other people should do, from that side of things.

'Course, this is a hot topic so I'm surprised it didn't burst into flames sooner. :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The topic of the thread was someone going past what people thought is a normal due date. People gave differing views on this. I am giving my view. mags came on here and said I was merely spouting propaganda, so I looked up some statistics regarding the real-life risks of some interventions.

And how is it "moralizing" to say it is a good idea for people to be aware of the risks of certain procedures ?

You moralized elective inductions.

Mrs S, I was thinking you might be responding to comments about the irresponsibility of not inducing or going past a certain date? Because there was a little bit of saying what other people should do, from that side of things.

'Course, this is a hot topic so I'm surprised it didn't burst into flames sooner. :D

Hey I think i pushed back on that and pointed out that CJane was hardly a Carrie situation.

I wasn't calling anyone out in particular. :) I do see her side of it. Maybe I read that into things more because IRL I did get told, and told wrongly.

Yeah, except I didn't say that you were victimized by your doctor. I agreed that interventions save lives and result in better outcomes when they are done when needed

I didn't "moralize" elective inductions - I linked to valid information from mainstream research saying that elective inductions increase the risk of both infant and maternal mortality and health problems and that they ( the medical organizations ) advise against them.

No one who posted their birth experiences here ( except mags ) seems to have even HAD a purely elective induction so how on earth am I moralizing against your choices ?

*raises hand*

I had an elective induction. Last December I was pregnant with my second baby. She was due on Christmas day, but measuring kinda big (I know, measurements aren't super accurate, but I trust my OB.) I had a checkup 4 days before Christmas and aside from a slightly high BP the week before, everything was checking out fine. I was already starting to have random contractions and was dilated pretty well, so we both figured (her from her medical standpoint, mine from knowing my body pretty well) that I'd be having the baby within the next few days. She asked if I wanted to be induced the next morning so that I could be home for Christmas. Hell yes I did! I went to the hospital the next morning around 6am, had the easiest labor and delivery (epidurals are my best friend) in the history of the world and went home the following day, just in time for Christmas Eve with my family which included a brand new 8 lb 6oz healthy little girl.

I was fully informed of the risks and I still made the choice I made. Because, quite frankly, it was my choice to make.

MrsS2004, do you really think that the average educated woman is uninformed about these issues? You can't go to a mommy board of any type without someone attempting to shame you about one decision or another. Hyperbole seems to be more common than not in these dicussions. For instance, we have a poster (she hasn't posted in awhile that I know of) who claimed that doctors were tying patients down in hospitals as a matter of routine and forcing interventions upon them. Good lawd. How does one even respond to that?

I believe in being very educated about my health and that of my family. But it's not all black and white, and when people like you make rather sweeping generalizations which sound suspiciously like propaganda, you're probably going to get some pushback. I have nothing against being crunchy, and I don't believe in unnecessary medicine. I've not adopted a "the doctor always knows best" attitude, but I do choose physicians for specific reasons and develop relationships with them based on trust. I consider this a person who is going to be making decisons for me in a time of crisis (not remotely limited to a difficult childbirth) and I had better trust them and if I am seeing a doctor that I don't trust, then frankly, that's on me.

And as an aside that is not related to anything you've said, I also believe we've done a disservice to ourselves in this country by de-professionalizing all sorts of professions. Everybody's a do-it-yourselfer these days, and there seems to be a growing contemptuous attitude towards physicians, attorneys, teachers and all sorts of other professionals who commit their lives to learning, practicing, and honing a certain craft. While I am very confident in my own abilities and intellect, I am also humble enough to know there is no way that I can have the body of knowledge my physician (or my accountant) does. Just because I read an article or a 100 articles doesn't mean that I can know or predict the variables of any dilemma. That's why I seek professional advice.

/soapbox

Oh crap! Mrs S2004 I edited one of your posts when I thought I was quoting and editing my own posts. Help other admins! What do I do?

It happens. I did it once to Latravita (sp?) and I sent her a PM and explained what happened and apologized and she said she would forgive me :D I've *almost* done it a couple of other times, but caught myself. Nothing more really you can do.

I wish the buttons to "edit" and to "quote" were farther apart sometimes!

I don't even try to use the quote feature on forums .. cause I suck at it so badly ;)

Plus I end up inappropriately copy and pasting heated rants into work documents.. not good.

I don't even try to use the quote feature on forums .. cause I suck at it so badly ;)

Plus I end up inappropriately copy and pasting heated rants into work documents.. not good.

I was like half posting/half working.

Anyhow, I am totally sorry! I edited my edit to explain I screwed up.

I think the point I was making was that I don't think dr's are the be all and end all. In fact, I think of them as consultants. People I pay for their advice and I should probably listen to it because they are being paid and in general good at their jobs. I think women should be empowered to ask for what they want, to refuse things that would generally be viewed as a reasonable refusal. I think women should seek out information from sources other than one dr.

But ultimately, the decision should be between a woman and her doctor. I don't think it is helpful to quote or mention statistics when referring to specific situations or even really general situations. I also don't think it is warning! warning! Will Robinson when someone requests an induction or a c-section even electively. That choice should remain between the doctor and the woman.

Does that make more sense?

Yes, Treemom

It does make more sense, and I respect your opinion. I have strong feelings on the topic based on some really awful experiences I have had ( and more importantly - my daughter has had ) and those tend to get me worked up. I'll try to tone it down a little ( notice the word "try" )

CJane's second child, her daughter Ever, was born at home and she is planning on a home birth this time too.

I like CJane. I identify with her on a odd level in that I have 5 beautiful thin, 5'1, 100 LB. sisters. I am number 3 of the 6 girls. I was the tall one at 5"7, and the heavier one at 130 lbs. My nickname was "The Amazon", and I felt obese standing next to them in family pictures. I think CJane loves attention and loves photos of her face, as she s pretty, and she's happy as long as no one sees her body as she is overweight. She too have beautiful thin sisters.

If you haven't been the big girl in the family, it is hard.

Really? An "Amazon" at 5'7" and 130 lbs? I think your family has a messed up sense of weight- proportionally that's similar to 100 lbs and 5'1". Yeah, I'm the big one compared to my sister, but proportion wise we're about the same, I'm just 4" taller than her.

If our daughter doesn't come out on her own, I'm being induced next week. I'll be at 41 weeks then, and my OB told us that they don't like to go past 41 weeks because of increased risks for the both of us.

Archived