IGNORED

C Jane 43 weeks preggo?

NothingLeftToLose

I even had a lady tell me "I don't see why you'd want to have a vaginal birth. With a vaginal birth it hurts to sit down and pee for days afterwards but when I had my c-sections I didn't have to worry about that AND I was waited on hand and foot! If the technology is available why not use it?". Err...

Maybe it's the part where they cut into you and you can't do a lot, whereas the vaginal birth just meant I watched how I sat on my little donut pillow (or on my extra Boppy... that thing is a parenting lifesaver!)...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VeraAnne - yep - right people..

While I am not a fan of induction or excess intervention - 42 weeks would about be my limit before I would begin to consider the risks no action vs post-date complications (ie: section, placenta degradation causing stillbirth, dystocia of large baby,

I agree- I know two women personally who's babies were healthy at 40 weeks, and dead by the time they went into labor. They were monitored as well. I don't see the point- why risk it? You don't get a medal.....

And pretty as she is she sure has so many photos. Too many face shots. It's narcissism.

That's what I think as well.

I would take any one of my horrible births over a c-section! That is surgery. No me gusta.

I have heard that you are not supposed to lift the baby afterward, and I wonder what I would have done. Probably ripped out some stitches, because my life does not allow several weeks of rehabilitation. I was really worried about needing a c-section with my youngest, because I had to be back in organic chemistry class the day after I left the hospital. It was a relief that everything went well enough that I could hobble my ass to school.

Emmie,

You can lift your baby after a c-section. After my twins were born, they brought both girls into my room for feeding and then disappeared. I fed one, put her back in the bassinet. Then I got out of the hospital bed, got my other daughter, got back into the bed and nursed her. This occured 4 hours after delivery by c-section.

IIRC, they told me not to lift anything over 10 pounds after my c-section. So newborn = okay (usually), but if you have one or more toddlers too, that could be a problem.

I don't read Nie or CJ anymore because they are both incredibly selfish and boring. I do wish CJ would talk about how she went from infertile for 5 years to popping out babies left and right. All she says is she didn't use drugs....I suspect she used SOME kind of intervention but wants everyone to think it was the power of prayer.

I know Nie (who is also pregnant now) was super into home birthing. Don't know whether she can do that now or even how a pregnancy works with burned skin. I have no clue whether CJ is into natural birth but oh man, if she has to have a c-section get ready for years of whining about it.

I read 1/3 of one post. CJane is a big boring, pain in the ass who is in love with her own face and has TOOO many pictures of herself on her blog. Attention whore.

I don't know if it's normal for LDS. Due dates are just an estimate, so she might not be 43 weeks. But if she's being watched by a midwife or OBGYN, and things still look OK, I don't see what the harm is. It's when the fluid levels drop, and the placenta starts to degrade is when it gets scary.

Family lore has it that I was due July 31st, and I wasn't born until August 23- after 36 hours of active labor. My own Mom, born in the 50's, was reportedly due at the end of May, but wasn't born until July 6th- my grandmother's doctor was shocked when my grandmother showed up at the hospital in labor, because he thought she had just delivered at another hospital more than a month earlier.

Yep, my fertility dr said its RARE to go past 42 weeks even if you're not induced and if you go past that threshold, 90% of the time, you ovulated late and your dr has their due date wrong. Especially if the placenta isn't aging or falling apart and the baby is not humongous.

One of my friends has had two C-sections. Her mom and sister, real winners, were criticizing her after the last one for being lazy and faking being in pain. She showed them her incision and shut them the F up. It isn't a tiny little incision, it was surgery. I would take hurting to pee for a few days too.

I'd rather go through the labor I did with my son, 28 hours, and his head was cocked, so it was EXTREMELY painful- I had a ton of back labor, did it 100% natural until hour 24 when I told my midwife that I was done done done and if she didn't call the anesthesiologist, i was going to put the epidural in myself than a C-section. My worst nightmare is major surgery. Adding to that, major surgery while having your arms strapped down and fully conscious? its like something out of Hostel. All you c-section mamas? you are HEROS. I don't know HOW you did it without going absolutely apeshit.

my friend's baby #1 was 40 weeks + 12 days, placenta had stopped working, emergency c section, the umbilical cord was dry, snapped in one short cut.

I think I'd be so wary of going overdue...

but my friend also had a planned c section out of the three csections and she said it was her best birth, less fuss of all. Of course she can't birth her babies (certainly not the nearly 9 pounder she just had) so in the end it's just less risk for her.

I am more scared of the epidural than of a csection. I want the use of my legs! and no chronic back pain either!

my friend's baby #1 was 40 weeks + 12 days, placenta had stopped working, emergency c section, the umbilical cord was dry, snapped in one short cut.

I think I'd be so wary of going overdue...

but my friend also had a planned c section out of the three csections and she said it was her best birth, less fuss of all. Of course she can't birth her babies (certainly not the nearly 9 pounder she just had) so in the end it's just less risk for her.

I am more scared of the epidural than of a csection. I want the use of my legs! and no chronic back pain either!

I have heard that planned sections are 100x easier to recover from than an emergent or emergency one.

I'm not against them, I'm just TERRIFIED. I know that frequently they save lives~ had my sister not had one, she and my niece would have both died, but if I am ever in need of one, they had BETTER KNOCK ME THE HELL OUT.

Edited to add: I only asked for an epidural out of sheer desperation. I had been in labor so long, and was tired of falling asleep in between contractions, waking up wondering who the hell was SCREAMING and realizing, it was me. I got 3 hours of sleep, somehow dilated completely in those 3 hours, pushed the kid out in 6 pushes. My MW said that the next one will come out probably like a canon because I was able to get him out in 6 pushes with an epidural AND his head was cocked- up and to the side. Apparently I have good Czechoslovakian child bearing hips.

Didn't we used to have an ob/gyn who commented on here? I had one child at 42 weeks - 11lbs 4 oz - one at 40 weeks 10 lbs 14 oz and one at 37 weeks 9lbs 8 oz...all vaginal (first one shouldn't have been but oh well)...I am a big fan of NOT letting things go too far. I actually think everyone is different and monitoring is essential after 40 weeks. My last two births were okay post partum but I will say that my first huge baby had me in the hospital for a week and basically paralyzed in terms of my bladder and, um, other bodily functions, for weeks. Worse than c-section IMO.

Didn't we used to have an ob/gyn who commented on here? I had one child at 42 weeks - 11lbs 4 oz - one at 40 weeks 10 lbs 14 oz and one at 37 weeks 9lbs 8 oz...all vaginal (first one shouldn't have been but oh well)...I am a big fan of NOT letting things go too far. I actually think everyone is different and monitoring is essential after 40 weeks. My last two births were okay post partum but I will say that my first huge baby had me in the hospital for a week and basically paralyzed in terms of my bladder and, um, other bodily functions, for weeks. Worse than c-section IMO.

Holy heck, 11.4 for a first born vaginal,I bow to your greatness. :pray:

My 9 pounder (first) had me sitting on the donut sideways for 6 weeks and he was a week early.

My second came 3 weeks early and my 3rd was preterm labor at 31weeks, then 6 weeks of bedrest and finally came on his due date.

With all that stress I stopped at 3,but always wanted 4.

Clibbyjo - this is why I think drugs are wonderful. Aside from big babies and painful deliveries...so many reasons to make sure babies are delivered in a timely manner....

oh yeah- that's definately worse than a c-section. I had three c-sections, and they really aren't that big of a deal. You're sore for a little while- but not six weeks! I've known women who are jogging on a treadmill 6 weeks after a c-section!

oh yeah- that's definately worse than a c-section. I had three c-sections, and they really aren't that big of a deal. You're sore for a little while- but not six weeks! I've known women who are jogging on a treadmill 6 weeks after a c-section!

It really depends on the type of incision and the person. Some heal faster than others. I had a laparoscopic surgery and went back to work the next day, meanwhile my friend (same age but 2 months younger) had the same laparoscopic surgery and she was on her back for 2-3 weeks.

I had 2 c-sections, and I bounced back pretty quickly. I think the first week or so I was sore getting in and out of bed, but after that I was fine. I got around quicker with the second one than the first. I never took a pain pill for either. I have been told I heal fast and have an extremely high tolerance for pain though.

Different people are different.

Different people are different.

QFT.

My big-baby births aren't horror stories (they were super short labors, totally worth the wait, IMO) but I'm surrounded by women IRL who've had misery with induction and c-sections. So our experience and the experience of others around us definitely influences our opinions and comfort levels, but are still anecdotal at best.

I had a 2 day induction followed by an emergency c-section at 37 weeks for pre-eclampsia issues and I can't imagine having gone six more weeks... scary!

FWIW, my emergency c-section was awesome. I walked around within 12 hours and was out and about within 5 days, I think I exercised at 3 weeks.

While I am not a fan of induction or excess intervention - 42 weeks would about be my limit before I would begin to consider the risks no action vs post-date complications (ie: section, placenta degradation causing stillbirth, dystocia of large baby,

That's where I fall as well. There's an increasing problem with women choosing elective inductions or C-sections at 37 or 38 weeks because they're uncomfortable and tired of being pregnant, and the babies actually end up being late pre-term and have higher risks of medical issues as a result. The March of Dimes and ACOG is now working to reverse this trend.

My OB warned me early on that he doesn't do those - for a first time mom, no scheduling of an induction until the 40 week mark, barring a medical reason. He said he's not popular with his pregnant patients in July and August (I was due in mid-August) because everyone just wants to be DONE but that the outcomes are better for baby and mom to wait until the baby's ready if possible. It's total anecdata but I know a lot of women who at their 40 week appointment scheduled an induction for 41 weeks and delivered before that date arrived, and my doctor said that statistically most women will go into labor on their own by around that time anyways. I agree with him that most babies will arrive when they're ready to come. He told me that he's had patients go to 42 or 43 weeks but it makes him nervous as hell because a postdates placenta can deteriorate rapidly and lead to a stillbirth. There's a lot of additional monitoring involved (like daily biophysical profiles which gets expensive for the patient depending on her insurance coverage) and while very few patients actually go that long it's stressful for all parties.

If I hadn't needed to be induced at 39 weeks for preeclampsia, at my 40 week appointment we would have scheduled an induction. My dates were 100% solid. A few things during my induction/labor/delivery indicated to my doctor that even without the medical complications I would likely have delivered on my own by my due date.

I think it's irresponsible to go that overdue when your dates are solid. An induction is no picnic and for me I preferred to avoid unnecessary interventions, but the risks to the baby and the mother start going up substantially after 41/42 weeks. A birth experience is not worth losing a child.

I suppose she is a lovely looking woman but the vanity! Seriously.

She is extremely lds lite.

I think she's insecure more than vain. Her sisters are all much prettier and thinner and I get the feeling Cjane is always trying to compensate.

I was a semi-follower of LDS with my first baby. It was a bit of a contradiction: I was unmarried, which was a problem, and 16, which wasn't really that big of a problem (in regards to LDS and in regards to the general lifestyle in which I grew up - and FTR, I'd cry if my daughter got pregnant before she was in her 20s). I was prayed over, a LOT, but it was quickly decided that I was fulfilling God's Will for my life as a woman, by most of the family (my mother's side are mostly hardcore Catholics, so I was fucked either way). In my mother's defense, she was devastated to learn of my pregnancy (she wasn't hardcore LDS or Catholic, she just kind of went along with whatever present company said to shut them up). I think the relatively recent loss of my father made that side of the family (the LDS side) more quick to accept it, but it went pretty easily. When it was announced that I was having a girl (an extremely rare event in my family), AND I planned to put aside my teenage summer plans to stay home and breastfeed, I was almost elevated to sainthood.

My daughter was c-section due to being a footling breech. I've now had 3 c-sections, and since I'm the most active person in our generation when it comes to procreating, despite sucky pregnancies, the LDS side has me as the current example of martyr/saint to hold up in front of their daughters. I keep telling them I'm Pagan, but they don't fucking listen. They're all about the babies, no matter how they get here. Oh, and my first c-section was great (aside from a misplaced - and hideously painful - epidural), second one sucked, and third was wonderful, except for the fact that I had a kidney and bladder infection immediately postpartum, which took a few days to show up on tests despite me being in agony. I've been in labor, and seriously bow to all of you women who go through that!

Archived