IGNORED

"October Baby" Movie

ThisOlGirl

So I guess this movie has been out almost a month, but I had not heard of it until now. I guess with all the hype and praise (snort) that "Courageous" was getting this one kind of fell by the wayside. Or maybe I'm the only one that missed it. Anyway, here's the plot of the movie:

OCTOBER BABY is a coming of age story of Hannah, a beautiful 19 year old college freshman. In spite of her energetic (if somewhat naïve) personality, Hannah has always felt like an outsider. Something is missing. She has always carried a deep-seated sense that she has no right to exist.

When she discovers she was adopted it comes as a shock, but Hannah's world is rocked even more when she learns why she was never told before – because she was the survivor of a failed abortion. Desperate for answers, she embarks on a road trip with some friends (including her oldest and closest friend Jason) to find her biological mother. In the process she unexpectedly discovers hope, love and forgiveness.

This uplifting and beautiful film may change the way you look at the world, your loved ones ... and life.

Frankly, I'd rather watch Lifetime Movies all day. And I hate Lifetime Movies.

Wow. Sounds like an awful movie. The over the top praise it gets from viewer reviews (doesn't seem to have been reviewed by an professionals) is a huge flashing warning sign to me that people are in love with the message.

I'd never heard of it until about a month ago, when the Sanders' posted about it. Evidently they were extras in it then made a big deeal about going to see it when it came out.

With that as my intro to its existence, I had no qualms about forgetting all about it.

Apparently attempting an abortion... magically scars the soul of your baby into feeling that it shouldn't exist? Is that the same fundie-magic that causes imaginary holes to appear in your heart when you date?

Apparently attempting an abortion... magically scars the soul of your baby into feeling that it shouldn't exist? Is that the same fundie-magic that causes imaginary holes to appear in your heart when you date?

Sometimes it's like they're a whole other species.

Ok, can somebody please educate me? How does an abortion fail exactly? How could you miss a fetus in a D&C? Ok, maybe you could take RU486 and have it not work, but did they have that 20 years ago? The whole premise doesn't seem plausible to me. They should have made it that the girl had a twin and her mother had selectively reduced her pregnancy. With so many twins having paranormal connections, that would at least be moderately interesting.

I was a little surprised that John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard) & Jasmine Guy (A Different World) were in the movie. I know they're not A-list by any stretch, and I don't really know anything about John Schneider's work after The Dukes of Hazzard, but Jasmine Guy? I used to watch A Different World when I was in high school, and it dealt with some (at the time) controversial topics--definitely not fundie-approved. She played the mistress of a gangster in Harlem Nights. I believe she also dated Tupac Shakur once upon a time, and she's pretty close with(and wrote a book about) Tupac's mom, Afeni (a former Black Panther and a woman who would probably scare the shit out of your average whitebread fundie).

So yeah, how Jasmine Guy ended up in a film like this has me a little confused. :think:

two words: Oh Gag

Now, if someone really IS the survivor of an abortion then I'm all for you--I'm not saying that to put down your life story. Just don't want to see a movie that sappy.

I know the story about the one named Gianna. The thing I don't get is, how do they know the CP is from a failed abortion and not from the very premature birth? I guess I am nitpicking. My attitude is get it done (and DONE. with a period.) as early as you can, to prevent these issues.

How many kids are *not* suffering from painful and debilitating syndromes because their mothers did abort? And how many kids are suffering because their Quiverfull parents chose to continue having babies after doctors told them to stop? Josie Duggar comes to mind. Abortion survivors do not even get a bronze in the Pain Olympics, if they really want to play such a terrible game.

One "prolife" movie, Bella, is actually pretty good. I don't really see it as pro-life; the protagonist killed a little girl accidently and feels he makes up for it by offering to raise the baby of a woman who is considering an abortion until she is ready to come and take it. It's a weird movie, but it was emotional just because you can see how much better the man feels in doing this selfless thing. Like it's a symbolic healing.

Archived