IGNORED

Anyone interested in seeing items from ATI's EXCEL?

formergothardite

I think mine was EXCEL four or five. Since I might be posting pics, I don't want to be too specific so no crazy angry fundie finds out the name of the girls and posts them. There was a ton of drama right before I went with a girl running away and other girls hanging out the windows and getting on the roof being wild, so they had us on a tight leash. They would try and get us to tattle on our roomates for disobeying and they were constantly dropping by the rooms, dragging out every item and going through them to make sure there was nothing to indicate that you were even thinking of doing something bad.

And fasting on Sunday! I hated that. And walking around and around in the little cirlces at the park, but not too fast. We didn't get to play soccer, just frisbee, and there was even debate over that. Good times I tell you.

What was the rationale behind fasting on Sunday? They didn't want to prepare (or supervise the kids preparing?) food? (I hadn't heard this one before).

I had the misfortune of being a member of a church for 5 years (this was a number of years ago) where the pastor and family and other leadership of the church were heavily involved in Gothardism, but (as has become very clear) they hid much of it and never mentioned "Gothard". It was always veiled as "homeschool convention". Also, does it seem that Gothard has gone further and further off the deep end as the years have passed, or do you think he was always this bad?

Guest Anonymous

What was the rationale behind fasting on Sunday? They didn't want to prepare (or supervise the kids preparing?) food? (I hadn't heard this one before).

I had the misfortune of being a member of a church for 5 years (this was a number of years ago) where the pastor and family and other leadership of the church were heavily involved in Gothardism, but (as has become very clear) they hid much of it and never mentioned "Gothard". It was always veiled as "homeschool convention". Also, does it seem that Gothard has gone further and further off the deep end as the years have passed, or do you think he was always this bad?

My own take is that he was always this bad, but he made more of an effort to camouflage it. While his ideas and the movement they spawned were still in the embryonic stage, he kept a relatively low profile. But now that he's made inroads into the mainstream, he can afford to unleash the ctazy.

I think the rationale for it was that it was supposed to be a day of rest, prayer, and fasting. There was one girl there with some medical problem that caused her not to be able to fast, so she was able to keep all sorts of food in her room and she shared it with her roomate during on Sundays. My roomate and I never actually prayed, we just sat around and talked about all the food we would be eating if we were allowed to eat.

None of the papers I have have any sort of copyright on them. The bi-weekly notes sent home are just a list of character qualities and how I rated with them along with notes from the leader giving her opinion of me. I always scored low on joyfulness vs. self-pity. LOL I don't want to post anything that would get FJ in trouble, though.

Michelle Duggar hands out the character qualities at her little "teas" for Christian moms in her area (they showed this during an episode of the show). I think those are all over the internet and they're in the back of the Duggars' new book, with a link to the ATI site, so anyone can see them, and use them as Michelle does during her "teas."

I think you're in the clear.

And I'm glad the X-tian camp I went to was co-ed. Even though I never put out, I was the undisputed camp slut because I nabbed the guy all the girls wanted. :D

Archived