IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

Joining in the CSA love :) Last week they had a pickling workshop. Also, we got a lot and a lot of S Q U A S H ! (Joy.) And kale! (Yay!)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember when u get off work (late), I will start a thread in chatter for CSA discussion (if there isn't one already). Since I'm new to it I think it would be fun to share recipes and tricks to keep veggies fresh, etc. It can be a challenge to work with what you get each week.

I was a member of a CSA for years when I had roomates. Loved it and couldn't say enough good things. Now that it's just me, I rely on the charity of my friends and relatives gardens and my small balcony garden. My aunt just gifted my with her first zuchinnis of the season on Sunday, and I'm making fritters tonight and chocolate zuchinni bread when the humidity lifts. :dance: I'm an on call garden babysitter for the friends/relatives and consider it the least I can do.

I'm devout about eating in season, but I do freeze and can some of the summer windfall so green beans do show up on my table in January. I wish I could be a full on locavore, but lemons and olive oil are not local to me, and too important to my diet.

Tuna Casserole (Cream of soup, Canned Tuna, Egg Noodles, Cheese, some sort of frozen veggie)

Funny story - a friend of mine also grew up in a big family (Catholic) with parents on a budget to feed all their kids. She hates tuna cassarole with a passion because of her memories. She once described her mom making tuna cassarole as putting "one flake of tuna for you, one flake of tuna for you," and so on. She also hates leftovers of any kind, because of all the left over dinners they had as kids. To her, tuna cassarole, leftovers, etc., all symbolize being poor and doing without.

Now to me, tuna cassarole is a comfort food. When I'm extremely stressed, or sad, I often crave tuna cassarole. I steam broccoli and blend it into the cassarole, just to make it a touch healthier. I can't diss tuna cassarole - it's seen me through some tough times :)

I'm making fritters tonight and chocolate zuchinni bread when the humidity lifts. :dance: I'm an on call garden babysitter for the friends/relatives and consider it the least I can do.

I would definitely be interested in the recipe for chocolate zuchinni bread. I'm making zuchinni lasagna tonight with fresh zuchinni from my sister's garden. I made fresh lemonade from 3 lemons she gave me earlier this week - so delicious!

Please share the recipe for chocolate zuchinni bread! I'm going to my first ever farmers market tomorrow and can't wait to stock up on some fresh fruits and veggies hopefully the prices will be decent.

I would definitely be interested in the recipe for chocolate zuchinni bread. I'm making zuchinni lasagna tonight with fresh zuchinni from my sister's garden. I made fresh lemonade from 3 lemons she gave me earlier this week - so delicious!

Here you are ladies:

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/08/cho ... hini-bread

For the chocolate bits I use regular chocolate chips that I put in a Ziploc and pound with the meat tenderizer.

Archived