IGNORED

The Fake $10 Tip Has Gone Mainstream

Alecto

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I waitressed for ten years. I HATE it when people did chit like this. It's a cheap, shitty thing to do to someone.

Yes it is. And I never waitressed!

Really. Especially because the note looks quite real.

The comment that the waiter made about 'being more atheist than ever' made me chuckle. Way to go, proselytizers. Another one for Team Atheism. Keep up the good work ;)

Thankfully I am not waitressing anymore, if someone left me one of these I would probably chase them down and beat the crap out of them! HOW fucked up, "hey, lets leave this poor woman who is working really hard and making $2.50 an hour a FAKE $10 bill/tract"! Jerkoffs!

What a terrible unchristian thing to do. Waitstaff in so many states do not make minimum wage; they can be paid as little as 2.03 per hour and really depend on their tips.

Yes it is. And I never waitressed!

I waitressed in college. Someone left me a tract and no tip, they ordered me all up and down the entire meal, and I gave them superb service; this was not a fast food establishment. I did it all with a smile, and gave them an extra appetizer taste, just because the chef had made it, and I thought they might enjoy.

Silly fools paid with a check. They got a nice letter from me in the mail, politely telling them how much I made an hour ($2.00, yet was taxed on 15% of my sales), and that they could take their tract and shove it where the sun don't shine. At least the owners of the restaurant encouraged me. I used no profanity, but Note: Do not act like an ass in a restaurant and leave a check. Heck, don't act like an ass in a restaurant; the waitstaff talks to the kitchen, and I've seen some gross things happen....

This reminds me of the Maxwells praying for a waitress instead of tipping her. What pretentious wankers.

:x

This is a lot like those anti-modesty tracts that are supposed to "convert" the hapless women who receive them: Who would be impressed to change his or her religious views because some douchebag punk'd them with a fake $10 bill?

That's a crappy thing to do to someone. I read the comments (big mistake, I know), and one of them commented that they started to feel bad for the guy, but since he was saving up for only a video game, they didn't any more. smh

Waitressing is hard work. Leaving a fake tip - that is really a religious tract is just awful. Any waitress or waiter who has this crap happen to them has my blessing and approval to spit in the soup of any person who would leave a fake tip.

This reminds me of a documentary I saw recently on some men who were leaving the Amish. One left because he had a more evangelistic theology, but he hadn't really had the opportunity to do it in the Amish community. On his first attempt he did this and genuinely thought it was such a cool idea and had absolutely no concept of how offensive and ridiculous it is (he didn't give it as tips, just hanging out on the street). I felt kind of bad that he really couldn't see it, but if anyone ever gave one of these to me I'd be incredibly mad.

I've never been a server, but my dad has owned and managed several restaurants and bars. Some people seem to think tips are a "perk". They really aren't. Wait staff aren't paid enough and generally are forced to rely on tips.

I find proselytizing offensive and wish it would just stop. However, I find this less offensive if they had left a solid tip in addition to the tract. The tract would have still be crass but at least the tip would be fair.

Herman Cain when he was lobbing for restaurants wanted to abolish any minimum wage for servers.

You beat me to it.

The concept is called the "tip credit" - basically the employer says that because the servers should be earning a certain amount in tips, that should count toward the minimum wage and so he can pay less than that. It's expressed as a certain percentage, meaning the employer can get out of paying X% of the minimum wage, as a "tip credit."

Herman Cain, and the National Restaurant Association have lobbied for a 100% tip credit. As you say, that means that servers would be working ONLY for tips.

If you do any research around the ideas of minimum wage or living wage, you'll find the National Restaurant Association all over the place propagandizing against it - they don't believe in the minimum wage. They fund the "Employment Policies Institute" (very much NOT the "Economic Policy Institute" which is something entirely different!) which is dedicated to doing studies against the idea of minimum wage, never mind living wage.

You beat me to it.

The concept is called the "tip credit" - basically the employer says that because the servers should be earning a certain amount in tips, that should count toward the minimum wage and so he can pay less than that. It's expressed as a certain percentage, meaning the employer can get out of paying X% of the minimum wage, as a "tip credit."

Herman Cain, and the National Restaurant Association have lobbied for a 100% tip credit. As you say, that means that servers would be working ONLY for tips.

If you do any research around the ideas of minimum wage or living wage, you'll find the National Restaurant Association all over the place propagandizing against it - they don't believe in the minimum wage. They fund the "Employment Policies Institute" (very much NOT the "Economic Policy Institute" which is something entirely different!) which is dedicated to doing studies against the idea of minimum wage, never mind living wage.

So in the US, if you only make, say, $5/hr in tips, you're only getting $7.50 an hour? In Canada, for instance, I'm pretty sure people in food service don't have to be paid minimum wage, but if tips + wage are less than provincial minimum wage, the employer makes up the difference so they're still getting minimum wage. On the other hand, here in the UK wait staff are paid minimum wage and tips are, well, tips.

I was surprised when I moved here that 10% seems to be 'standard' for tips. In Canada it was 15%, and I've read from US sources on the internet that it should be 20%. I think this must be because of differences in wages.

One theme that crops up in the comments - that I've come across before - is that this kind of behaviour is often used as punishment for working on a Sunday. That is, you have a smug churchgoer in their Sunday best who decides that, in their moral superiority to the heathen serving them, they will leave a tract instead of a tip - anything else would be to encourage working on the Sabbath.

Not unreasonably, this attitude is widely regarded as utterly indefensible - they'll happily walk into a restaurant open on the Sabbath, eat a meal cooked by a chef on the Sabbath, accept service from a waiter who's working on the Sabbath, but mysteriously their scruples about all this devilish Sabbath-working put in an appearance only when it's time to pay.

I wonder if it would be ok for a fundie male to go to a topless bar and tip with a tract? :lol: I mean, according to fundies, if anyone's soul needs a-savin'... :roll:

Actually, now that I think about it, I would love for some fundie asshole to try that with a topless dancer. Living where I live, I've gotten to know several dancers, and when it comes to their money, they don't play! The ones I've met would tear the guy a new one and maybe even have the bouncer kick the crap out of him in the parking lot.

I'm still failing to recover from the shock that apparently $2 per hour is an 'acceptable' (*cough*) wage. Absurd and obscene.

Twice, when I had really great weeks at the up-scale fine dining place I worked at I actually got a NEGATIVE amount on the pay check, because of the taxes that waitstaff pay on tips!

When I started waiting tables back in 1982, if I remember right I made $1.65 an hour, plus tips, 20 ish years later I had made it all the way up to $2.75 an hour...WOOT! Granted it was not my main income all the time, but there were times when it was my ONLY income!

Herman Cain when he was lobbing for restaurants wanted to abolish any minimum wage for servers.

Ah, good ol' Herman. When he's not busy sexually harassing women, he's busy trying to screw 'em out of a couple of bucks an hour. What a prince.

Is there no such thing as minimum wage in the US?? My sister worked as a waitress 10 years ago, aged 17 (ie, still on youth rates), with no experiance and made $10 an hour!!

Archived