IGNORED

Where's the compassion? Abortion vs Fundie Lifestyle

Guest devilsadvocate6

To put it another way, if you and your church decide that clipping toenails is murder, should that be made illegal as well?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Personally, yes, I think it should be illegal except in instances of saving the mothers life. And if it were illegal, it would not be up to me to decide on the penalty. I would not expect it to carry a severe or harsh sentence nor would it carry the death penalty. I would be ok with a fairly lenient sentence that included counseling. I would also be ok with the sentence being dependent on the circumstances. Sort of like how a crime of passion can carry a lighter sentence than one carried out in cold blood. So a woman who had multiple illegal abortions and it could be proven that she was using it as birth control would get a heavier sentence than a person who just found out that their unborn child would have such severe deformities that it would not live past a few days or weeks and would be in constant pain or suffering would get perhaps a very light sentence or community service.

If you think someone should get ANY punishment for that, then you are a piece of shit and a poor excuse of a human being. For any abortion, but in particular for this example. I'm pretty sure you don't feel compassion for anyone.

In the days when abortions were illegal (in some states), women were seldom prosecuted for having one. LE was more likely to elicit their cooperation in having the abortion provider be prosecuted. (Guttmacher Inst., Lessons from Before Roe...).

Guest Anonymous
DA, Raquel is keeping the horse improperly, where is your compassion for the horse? Should an animal be abused and we have nothing to say about it?

I haven't read everything she has written about the horse so I can't say whether there is any actual abuse happening or if you just suspect some abuse might happen in the future. Is there any indication on her blog as to where she lives so that she could be reported to the local authorities?

If there is no way to report suspected abuse, then I would think the comments could at least be kept about the actual horse and not all the comments I have read that were directed at her as a person that had nothing to do with the horse.

Personally, yes, I think it should be illegal except in instances of saving the mothers life. And if it were illegal, it would not be up to me to decide on the penalty. I would not expect it to carry a severe or harsh sentence nor would it carry the death penalty. I would be ok with a fairly lenient sentence that included counseling. I would also be ok with the sentence being dependent on the circumstances. Sort of like how a crime of passion can carry a lighter sentence than one carried out in cold blood. So a woman who had multiple illegal abortions and it could be proven that she was using it as birth control would get a heavier sentence than a person who just found out that their unborn child would have such severe deformities that it would not live past a few days or weeks and would be in constant pain or suffering would get perhaps a very light sentence or community service.

How enlightening and considered you are about the penalties. That reassures me, you really had me worried. :roll:

Personally, yes, I think it should be illegal except in instances of saving the mothers life. *snip* So a woman who had multiple illegal abortions and it could be proven that she was using it as birth control would get a heavier sentence than a person who just found out that their unborn child would have such severe deformities that it would not live past a few days or weeks and would be in constant pain or suffering would get perhaps a very light sentence or community service.

So...you want to punish women who choose to spare their unborn children a short and painful life full of suffering? :shock: And we're the mean, callous ones?

I had an abortion, and no I don't expect compassion. I do expect, no in fact I demand that other women have the legal right to make the same decision that I did. I further expect that people like you who feel the need to interfere with other peoples private medical decisions, and can seriously type the above bolded sentence should take their KJV bibles and crawl back under a rock.

I haven't read everything she has written about the horse so I can't say whether there is any actual abuse happening or if you just suspect some abuse might happen in the future. Is there any indication on her blog as to where she lives so that she could be reported to the local authorities?

If there is no way to report suspected abuse, then I would think the comments could at least be kept about the actual horse and not all the comments I have read that were directed at her as a person that had nothing to do with the horse.

So not only do you want to control what I can do with my uterus, you want to control what I do with my hands (typing)? And I am the one without compassion?

So if the women themselves who have had abortions don't want or expect compassion, then why was I told I should have compassion toward them? I guess I don't understand why I should be expected to have compassion toward something that I see as morally wrong when even the women who have had abortions don't expect compassion.

You don't need to have compassion towards them, because IT'S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS WHAT A WOMAN DOES WITH HER BODY!

Where on FJ does it say I need to have compassion for fundies?

Definition of Compassion: Literally, suffering with another; a sensation of sorrow excited by the distress or misfortunes of another; pity; commiseration.

I do for some; others, hell no. I have compassion for the kids who have been brainwashed into their parents' chosen way of thinking, mostly college educated parents who could make any decision they want. Pity is part of compassion, and I have plenty of pity for the SAHDs, especially. I was one of them before they had a name, and I was one of them when I married a fundie, as a virginal bride. Did my church have compassion for me when I was thrown aside by my fundie husband, who wanted a "full quiver" and was married to me, a barren woman? No, there was not. I have immense compassion for a girl forced into a marriage with a man she barely knows.

The flaw in your argument: religious freedom is a given in the US, like it or not; reproductive rights are not, and are being eroded more and more by the religious. I have compassion for a woman who, after much soul searching, terminates a pregnancy for HER OWN REASONS, which are none of my, or anyone else's business. I don't know a single woman who took this situation lightly; I am glad I've never had to make it myself.

Guest Anonymous

So...you want to punish women who choose to spare their unborn children a short and painful life full of suffering? :shock: And we're the mean, callous ones?

Seriously. She wants to make treemom pick up trash on the side of the road for making the best choice she could when she was faced with a heartbreaking situation, but we're lacking in compassion because we disagree with people on the internet. What the actual fuck?

But devilsadvocate6, here is where I will agree with you. Sometimes I think that the snark goes too far (and dear God, don't bite my head off and accuse me of hand slapping, I just think it sometimes but keep my mouth shut about it. I am not trying to change what anyone says here or how they say it). There have been times where I was about to post something but didn't because it was overly mean and these people are real people with real feelings. However, this board is made up of all sorts with different opinions and people can express them however they want.

I do too. And I choose not to participate...or sometimes i say I think it went to far. I think it is ok to have the opinion that you think it is too far, and even express it. Typically the handsmacking comes in with the dire consequences and guilt.

Guest Anonymous

Just as you all have the right to use your vote to try to keep people in power that believe it should be legal, I also have that same right to cast my vote for people who are pro-life. My right is not higher than your right, and your right is not higher than mine.

I seriously doubt that abortion will ever be illegal in the US. But that doesn't change the fact that it is my right to cast my vote for those who are pro-life and it also doesn't change the fact that it is my right to decide whether or not I would drive a woman to an abortion clinic. I don't expect anyone on this board to agree with my choices, but just as you all have the right to choose abortion since it is currently legal, I also have the right to vote with those who are pro-life and to disagree with the notion that abortion in any circumstance is ok.

Just as you all have the right to use your vote to try to keep people in power that believe it should be legal, I also have that same right to cast my vote for people who are pro-life. My right is not higher than your right, and your right is not higher than mine.

I seriously doubt that abortion will ever be illegal in the US. But that doesn't change the fact that it is my right to cast my vote for those who are pro-life and it also doesn't change the fact that it is my right to decide whether or not I would drive a woman to an abortion clinic. I don't expect anyone on this board to agree with my choices, but just as you all have the right to choose abortion since it is currently legal, I also have the right to vote with those who are pro-life and to disagree with the notion that abortion in any circumstance is ok.

Ah so now we're getting down to the real issue. You've got some kind of a beef with the election process and electing prochoice candidates. What state are you in? A red one or blue one?

While they may not insist on everyone having one, they often expect everyone to be okay and accepting with their decision to have one.

Well yes, why not? After all it is nobody else's damn business what a woman chooses to do with her own body.

Um voting isn't going to change the state of abortion at all.

Guest Anonymous

You don't need to have compassion towards them, because IT'S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS WHAT A WOMAN DOES WITH HER BODY!

So explain then why it is ok for there to be laws that tell me that I must use a seat belt? If I fail to use a seat belt and I die, shouldn't that be MY choice, because it is MY body?

What about suicide? Why are people who try suicide locked up and given psychiatric care after a failed suicide? Shouldn't we just let them die where they are or release them without any mental health care because after all, it is THEIR body and THEIR choice to kill it if they want to?

Fine. Vote as you choose. That's what voting is designed to do - give people a way to say what they think.

But, I still don't understand the entire point of your original post. Your voting practices had no part in what you initially said.

Attempting to rile people up so you can play victim is quite pathetic.

No one needs, wants or expects your personal compassion for a personal choice they make that has nothing to do with someone they've never met. No one who made a personal choice is demanding anything from you, personally.

Go away and shut the fuck up. You lost this one as quickly as you dreamt it up. Don't wear your seat belt, please, as you speed away in a huff. I wouldn't want to personally be responsible for you having to wear one. How the fuck did you get from abortion and compassion to seat belts?

Never mind.

Seriously. She wants to make treemom pick up trash on the side of the road for making the best choice she could when she was faced with a heartbreaking situation, but we're lacking in compassion because we disagree with people on the internet. What the actual fuck?

I seriously can't wrap my head around this way of thinking.

So, did you come here just to call us uncompassionate, or do you have a point?

I would like to know this, as well.

yes because that would have taught me.

Oh wait no it wouldn't have.

I am against laws against suicide. Seat belt laws are a little different; the human body can become a projectile and kill others in the car. It is a matter of public safety as much as personal safety.

Guest Anonymous

Ah so now we're getting down to the real issue. You've got some kind of a beef with the election process and electing prochoice candidates. What state are you in? A red one or blue one?

I have zero beef with the election process. I wish there were more choices than just the same old politicians who make huge promises and then fall flat when in office (this would be both parties, not just one or the other).

So, did you come here just to call us uncompassionate, or do you have a point?

That was my first question, what is your point??

Archived