IGNORED

Little Adolf Hitler's Parents Lose Custody of Newborn

tropaka

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... ewborn.php

These parents are crying that the children were taken simply because of their names (Adolf Hitler, Honslyn Hinler, Aryan Nation) and that they are not nazi's (although they posed with their children next to a nazi flag). 2 years ago their older children were removed after domestic violence in the home. Their newborn was recently taken away shortly after birth.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

These parents sound like freaks and if there has been violence in the home then those kids need to be taken away. Those names are horrendous.

The names are horrible, but it sounds like there were issues of abuse or neglect. The physician who delivered her new baby called DYFS himself, and I'm sure his concerns were not name-related.

Giving a kid those names is emotional abuse imo and its no surprise to me that there would be other types of abuse in that home.

Absolutely. Those poor kids.

Mmm... they will probably be bullied in school. :(

And all throughout life. Hopefully they will want to change their names when they get older.

Do you all think the names alone would be reason to take the kids? Not saying that was the only reason they were placed in protective custody, just wondering what everyone's opinion on that would be.

The name selection should certainly indicate that the parents aren't acting in the best interests of the child, but it wouldn't be enough for CPS to get involved. It's a shame that both of these people can't be neutered/spayed, so that they stop reproducing.

I don't know. . . the libertarian part of me says no, but then again, some of these names are really indicative of serious problems on the part of the parents. I mean, what's to stop parents from naming their child "pond scum" or "sewage" or something like that? A child is a separate person from the parents and should have some rights, one of them being not to be held up to ridicule from the first day of their lives. So I guess I think the horrible naming shows parents that are highly disrespectful to the personhood of their own child and is more of a symptom of a problem that needs to be treated as opposed to a "right".

It is an interesting situation in which the parents' rights and the children's rights are at odds. They cannot possibly have a chance at life with names like that.

I don't know. . . the libertarian part of me says no, but then again, some of these names are really indicative of serious problems on the part of the parents. I mean, what's to stop parents from naming their child "pond scum" or "sewage" or something like that? A child is a separate person from the parents and should have some rights, one of them being not to be held up to ridicule from the first day of their lives. So I guess I think the horrible naming shows parents that are highly disrespectful to the personhood of their own child and is more of a symptom of a problem that needs to be treated as opposed to a "right".

I kind of go back and forth on it too. However, there are plenty of awful and stupid names out there (as evidenced by many, many bad baby name sites) and where does it stop? Do you remove a kid from the home because they're named Daiquiri?

I firmly believe in restricting name choices. I'm told quite a few countries do this, not permitting abusive or historically painful names. Name your kid Anna with seven Zs and a Q, whatever, but when your name choice is openly derogatory, like the above mentioned "sewage" or "asshole" or yes, "Hitler," it shouldn't be allowed.

In the case of a name like Adolf Hitler or Aryan Nation, I have no problem with DFS or the county vital records office (whoever issues birth certificates) taking the parents to court to get the name blocked. I agree that a name like that is indicative of further abuse or neglect. It wouldn't shock me if these parents intended to homeschool to keep their kids totally isolated from society.

I kind of go back and forth on it too. However, there are plenty of awful and stupid names out there (as evidenced by many, many bad baby name sites) and where does it stop? Do you remove a kid from the home because they're named Daiquiri?

Can you give your kid any name you want in the USA?? In Germany the registry office (I'm not sure whether I translated it correctly...I hope you know what I mean) has to accept the name. Names that are too "special" aren't possible.

I'm related to a Brandy and a Chardonnay (Bran and Shar) and there is nothing abusive about their upbringing I know of. So although I do not condone naming kids weirdly I strongly doubt it is evidence of abuse...

I can't believe the names were the only thing, though they might have sparked an investigation.

My guess it the mom disclosed about violence to her doctor, who reported it, or that the doctor thought she saw signs of abuse or drug use, and reported it.

Can you give your kid any name you want in the USA?? In Germany the registry office (I'm not sure whether I translated it correctly...I hope you know what I mean) has to accept the name. Names that are too "special" aren't possible.

Yup. And adults can change their own names to anything they want, as long as they aren't attempting to commit fraud. (When I decided to go back to my maiden name, but with a new middle name, I had to visit the local probate judge at city hall, so local practices may vary.)

I'm related to a Brandy and a Chardonnay (Bran and Shar) and there is nothing abusive about their upbringing I know of. So although I do not condone naming kids weirdly I strongly doubt it is evidence of abuse...

I know a ton of Brandys (Brandee, Brandi, Brandie, Brandyee) and I think Chardonnay is a nice name. However, "Asshole" and "Hitler" are abusive.

Yup. And adults can change their own names to anything they want, as long as they aren't attempting to commit fraud. (When I decided to go back to my maiden name, but with a new middle name, I had to visit the local probate judge at city hall, so local practices may vary.)

Thank you!

While I think the names are giant red flags, that there was obviously further abuse/violence going on for them to keep the children away that long and to take a newborn so quickly.

It's one thing to name your kid after your favourite wine or cocktail - another to signal your admiration for genocidal mass murderers.

The parents of Adolf Hitler, the 5-year-old New Jersey child with the most unfortunate name, have had their newest baby, a boy named Hons Campbell, taken away from them as well. Adolf and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, were all taken into custody by New Jersey Youth and Family Services in 2009. The Campbells, Heath and Deborah, say they don't know why Hons was taken, and the agency has reportedly been prohibited from talking about it. However, last year an appeals court ruled that the older children were at risk due to the parents' "unspecified physical and psychological disabilities," including violence in the home.

There was also apparently evidence of abuse or neglect, found by a family court, which the Campbells say is untrue -- they say their children were taken because of their Nazi-inspired names. The Department of Youth and Family Services has denied that:

A DYFS spokesperson told ABCNews.com in 2009 that she could not comment on a specific case, but said children are only taken into custody if there is a suspicion of abuse or neglect.

"We would never remove a child simply based on their name," the spokeswoman said.

They were not removed because of the names. Adolf was the baby's older brother. The baby was names Hons.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... ewborn.php

I do not agree with taking kids just because of their name. As a parent you have a freedom to name your child what you want.. the child also has the freedom to change said name... My wish is that it is earlier than 18.

That said, it seems there were other things involved and if so, then yes, CPS has a right to take those kids from their parents.

I don't agree with the requirements to name your child something someone else approves of. The names for my future children are different, but not abusive. Names change over time to mean different things. I changed my name legally at 19, and have never looked back. It wasn't because I had a horrible name, but because it was a clean break from my family.

There are rules in America over naming your child, but they stop at curse words (like asshole) and numbers (7, not the word spelled out "Seven").

I think it's really difficult. Of course it's the parents freedom to name your child what you want, but in this special case and with these special names it's hard to draw the line between "freedom" and "abuse".

Archived