IGNORED

The NON-Thinking Housewife is Truly a Joyless Twit

GolightlyGrrl

Man or woman, the NON-Thinking Housewife seriously needs to get a life. Imagine getting all worked up over people smiling or pizza when we have real problems in this world that need addressing.

Uuuuugh. I hate hate HATE to think of agreeing with this (wo)man on anything.

I actually do think she has a point though.

Not that I think our society should be about "formality," "hierarchy," and other bull that fundies love, but it would be nice if American culture wasn't so about putting on a fake smile at all times.

(This is from a woman who always gets told by some stranger to "smile" when she is really just lost in thought).

As a southerner, I am well-schooled in fake smiles, but the dumb housewife's real point seems to be that smiles = "signify a soft, feminized culture."

I'm beginning to agree with those who say the dumb housewife is really a dumb househusband.

A dude indeed...No woman I have ever met would try to make others feel bad for being 'soft and decadent'. A woman would say spoiled or wimpy, but only from the viewpoint of a man's brain is 'soft' a true insult....Gotcha Angryman!

Another reason that people in old photos didn't smile as much is because dental care/hygiene wasn't very good - a smile looks really nice when you have all your teeth; when you don't, it doesn't look so good.

My college library had tons of old women's magazines from the late 1800s and early 1900s and you could see it in the advertising art too. The earlier ads (for soap, dust mops, whatever) showed women softly smiling, no teeth. The toothpaste ads showed grinning women, and slowly, the art shifted toward showing women with full sets of gleaming teeth.

I think it's nice that we smile as much as we do! I mean, why not, right?

Not surprised by this posting. I agree with others people didn't smile or show teeth that much in pictures because of bad teeth. The Non-Thinking Housewife did a similar months back in which she bitched about photos of priests smiling and laughing.

Wow. She may be even more joyless than the Maxwells, which is quite a feat.

Ditto...she's a miserable old crow and wants everyone else to be miserable. My nick-name is smiley cuz I smile a lot. News-flash to this bitter old woman...some people are genuinely happy!

Archived