IGNORED

PZ Myers vs. Ken Ham's creationist dogma

silvia

scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/06/dear_emma_b.php

Great letter -- and great reminder of just how relentlessly the creationist movement indoctrinates young children. I wish Emma B. could read this herself.

scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/06/dear_emma_b.php

Great letter -- and great reminder of just how relentlessly the creationist movement indoctrinates young children. I wish Emma B. could read this herself.

I agree :clap:

PZ's answer to the child was very respectful and beautiful. I can't believe that anyone would teach a child to ask an adult, "Were you there?" My initial reaction would be that the child was calling me old.

Ken Ham is crowing over fooling a child. A young girl visited a moon rock display from NASA, and bravely went up to the docent and asked the standard question Ham coaches kids to ask — and she's quite proud of herself.

I went to a NASA display of a moon rock and a lady said, "This Moon-rock is 3.75 billion years old!" Guess what I asked for the first time ever?

"Um, may I ask a question?"

And she said, "Of course."

I said, in my most polite voice, "Were you there?"

Love, Emma B

Ken Ham is also quite proud of himself. He's also pleased with the fact that many people will be dismayed at the miseducation he delivers.

Each time I give examples in my blog posts of children who have been influenced by AiG, the atheists go ballistic on their blogs. They hate to read of instances like this. They want to teach these children there is no God and they are just animals in this hopeless and meaningless struggle of this purposeless existence.

What really bothers me about Ham's bragging is that the dialogue just stops after Emma asks the question. The response that the docent makes isn't even considered. It's really telling that the creationists have no intention of actually listening to anyone who answers their questions, which is probably why people like PZ Myers have to repeat the same things over and over. And just out of general curiosity, I want to hear the docent's response. It's just bad writing to end with a question.

The next time some recruiter (and, really, that's what "soul winning" is) tells me about the resurrection of Jesus, I know what my question will be! :lol:

Honestly, though, how do they know the world was poofed into existence by God? Were they there?

Ken Ham is crowing over fooling a child. A young girl visited a moon rock display from NASA, and bravely went up to the docent and asked the standard question Ham coaches kids to ask — and she's quite proud of herself.

I went to a NASA display of a moon rock and a lady said, "This Moon-rock is 3.75 billion years old!" Guess what I asked for the first time ever?

"Um, may I ask a question?"

And she said, "Of course."

I said, in my most polite voice, "Were you there?"

I so, so fervently hope that, when he talks about creation and the flood, etc., that there are children who pipe up "Were you there?"

Well, maybe I don't -- they'd probably get the logic scorned/shamed/beaten out of them. :( :cry:

Love Paul Meyers. He's a nice guy.

I like that, "Where you there when Jesus was supposedly put on the cross?"

r

I so, so fervently hope that, when he talks about creation and the flood, etc., that there are children who pipe up "Were you there?"

Well, maybe I don't -- they'd probably get the logic scorned/shamed/beaten out of them. :( :cry:

IIRC, Ham teaches his followers to respond when the question is turned back on them with "No, but I know someone who was!" And he told me all about it in his modern scientific textbook, the Bible!

That was an awesome letter.

As for Ken Ham, he's ignorant about a whole lot of things - he gives a big speech about how some basic Chinese characters show the truth of Genesis, which apparently goes over great with his usual audience. Problem is, any kid who has been through the equivalent of elementary third grade in any character-using country can tell him that his supposed etymologies are 100% completely bogus.

Meanwhile, for another sort of amusing letter exchange with creationists - one dealing with an adult who should definitely know better, so far more harsh and snarky, you have to read about The Lenski Affair if you haven't already. Basically, one Andrew Schlafly (son of Phyllis, and founder of Conservapedia) attempts to show up a biologist Richard Lenski, and gets soundly, soundly pwned. The link goes to Rational Wiki, which in turn has links to the actual sources.

ETA: Can I spell? Apparently not...

IIRC, Ham teaches his followers to respond when the question is turned back on them with "No, but I know someone who was!" And he told me all about it in his modern scientific textbook, the Bible!

Well, damn.

Self-righteous, fact-hating putz.

Meyers' responses are often very humane, and carefully crafted with different audiences in mind. In this latest article, he has armed every reader with a very important and foundational tool in the search for knowledge - a question: "How do you know that?" It's a slightly more advanced version of the equally valuable, "Why?"

Scientists, journalists, and theologians should all ask that one question sometimes: "How do we know this?"

The simpler variation of this question should be introduced to children while they're still suckling at the breast: "Why?"

Archived