IGNORED

Asking God For Strength, Wisdom Or Patience

debrand

I spent a few years of college thinking that a friend had committed suicide, my major cancelled, and a few other things all happened because I had prayed for faith. It was a running 'joke' at our church that we shouldn't pray for faith because of how God teaches faith (see: above). In addition to finding that horribly selfish, I'm amazed at how self-centered that is: because I prayed for faith, all of these things happen that affected many people--not a single event attributed to my faith prayers impacted only me. Strength was usually lumped in, synonymous with faith--and praying for strength without praying for faith had a strange self-centered vibe, so no one did that.

Praying for patience wasn't as bad--my boss at work regularly comments on the slow drivers in front of him, and how he was praying for patience on the drive. Faith was the penultimate of dangerous things to pray for (but the bragging rights were equally impressive).

Praying for wisdom wasn't connected to any negative things, strangely enough.

I definitely pray for these things frequently, I've never heard anyone say not to, except sometimes as the "be careful what you wish for" joke someone mentioned. Sometimes I'll make my prayers very specific but generally I believe that God knows my heart and mind better than I do, and like a lot of the others said, I believe it makes more sense to pray that whatever is happening I'll be able to handle it with strength/wisdom/etc. What about that verse about the Holy Spirit interceding for us with groans deeper than our words or something like that? (I'm afraid I hardly ever had to memorize scripture word for word in my Lutheran upbringing... )

I was also taught that prayer changes the person praying, so by extension praying for something abstract like that for yourself is basically a good way to go about it.

Those sorts of things are the only things I ever DO pray for, because I don't believe that God intervenes in our lives beyond just being there to help us get through whatever happens. God isn't going to magically make all the problems my friends are going through right now disappear, for example, but He might be able to give me strength and courage to be the kind of friend they need to help them through it.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Yes! This is what we were taught. We got "pray for strength, patience, courage and wisdom to deal with your trials in life and help others". Not to pray for them as abstract qualities, although I don't think anyone would have minded if we did.

Certainly not God would send bad things on you if you did! God would be very cruel in that case!

Yes! This is what we were taught. We got "pray for strength, patience, courage and wisdom to deal with your trials in life and help others". Not to pray for them as abstract qualities, although I don't think anyone would have minded if we did.

Certainly not God would send bad things on you if you did! God would be very cruel in that case!

Very true :) And who would want to worship a cruel God? Such a God would make Himself morally redundant.

JFC: are you now an atheist (as many/most Marxists are) or do you still, in some form or manner, believe in God? Just curious, is all :)

The only things I DO pray for are strength, wisdom, and patience. Those, and for the spiritual health of my family (including myself). I also send prayers up for those in difficult circumstances that I otherwise cannot affect. What I DON'T pray for are material things.

Any God who'd treat you like Job if you asked for patience is a plain old mindfucker.

Very true :) And who would want to worship a cruel God? Such a God would make Himself morally redundant.

JFC: are you now an atheist (as many/most Marxists are) or do you still, in some form or manner, believe in God? Just curious, is all :)

I'm an atheist, but I was sent to a religious school for a few years, which is where I gleaned my slight knowledge of the business. My primary school was fairly religious also, no separation of church and state in Scotland!

Totally agree, most Marxists are atheist. Although I know Marxist Muslims of varying ranges of belief (no niqabis, some women into the modest clothing and hijab, some self described "secular Muslims"). Also, now I think of it, one Marxist who's training to be a pastor. He's fairly disapproved of, though.

Since I love wandering off topic ;) I was telling some comrades about my relative's funeral I was at and they said "How did you put up with the religious shit?" I admitted to singing the hymns and reciting the Lord's Prayer with everyone else. They were pretty shocked and said they couldn't do it.

That's really funny. Love how some Marxists and/or atheists really get worked up about that stuff! :D

I have no problem attending an atheist function :)

Marxist Muslims? Do you think it's part of some kind of Islamic Liberation Theology or just because Muslims are a persecuted minority?

I pm'd you, by the way :)

That's really funny. Love how some Marxists and/or atheists really get worked up about that stuff! :D

I have no problem attending an atheist function :)

Marxist Muslims? Do you think it's part of some kind of Islamic Liberation Theology or just because Muslims are a persecuted minority?

I pm'd you, by the way :)

I replied, sorry, my phone ate the first one!

It's a Pavlovian reaction to me with the Lord's Prayer. I had to recite it every day in school so when the priest and congregation started I did too without thinking. We had it up on the wall of my primary school and the little kids were taught to read it. Don't think it does any harm to say it at a funeral.

I have never asked the Muslims I know about this directly but my general impression is that Allah doesn't drop the banhammer on you for being involved in politics, and they have been having a tough time for years and feel that a great change is needed. Muslims often get involved over two issues, Palestine and antifascism. They then may become more intrigued with the ideas on the Left. This seems a sensible way of approaching things.

The only religious group (aside from fundies of any stripe, who wouldn't be vaguely interested anyway) which I struggle with accepting is the Quakers. I know, I know, I'm a terrible person. However I do not see what a bunch of pacifists, lovely though they are, are doing in a revolutionary movement. However, don't get me started ;)

Archived