IGNORED

A Gallery of Vision Forum Catalogue Covers

GeoBQn

Here are the Vision Forum catalogue covers from the past 15 years.

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2011/11/9731/

This is a more in depth essay of their decision to make this year's cover Titanic themed.

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2011/11/9729/

How do we reconcile “women and children first†with the spirit of feminism? We do not. Today, many are confused. They have a quaint appreciation for “women and children first†while misunderstanding the application to the duties of manhood and the distinctions between the sexes.

As we progress through the twenty-first century, Christians need to understand the choice before them. It makes no sense to speak of women and children first in one breath, and place our daughters in harm’s way in military combat in another. If men are no longer the defenders of women, why hold the door for a lady or perform other acts of deference which once defined the meaning of “gentleman� Today, Christians need to see exactly where feminism and evolution have taken us—into a world where it is every person for themselves in a struggle for the survival of the fittest.

Why hold the door open for a lady? How about opening the door for everybody regardless of gender, and calling it "respect" instead of "gentlemanly behavior" or "deference" or "chivalry."

With all the talk of the men of the Titanic being raised in a "Christian culture," I think Dougie would be surprised to find out that the Titanic had a kosher kitchen.

Enough with holding the door! My God, this pops up all the time as an example of feminism run rampant, the downfall of western society, the Devil attacking, and other such bullshit and it is the dumbest argument I have ever heard. It's just a door, get over yourself. And why is holding the door defending a woman? Is the ebil door going to swing all over the place and knock a woman out so the manly men have to stop sweatily romping to go protect her? What are these crazy people's thoughts on revolving doors? /rant on doors

There was only one instance in my life when I wished a man would have held a door open for me. A family member was moving house and I was carrying an armload of boxes. There was a guy standing by the doorway-- he was somebody's co-worker, IIRC, and I'd never met him previously-- and it would have been truly helpful if he had opened the door for me. But he did not, and it pssed me off. It had nothing to do with chivalry or gender roles; I would have been equally irked if it had been a woman standing there doing nothing while I was trying to get those boxes through the door.

It's just common courtesy to hold the door for someone coming right behind you instead of letting it swing shut in their face. If a guy wants to feel chivalrous and let me in first hey, I'll take that. But that doesn't need to go with keeping women out of the world. Oh no, women go to school, now we can't open doors for them, soon they'll refuse to bear children at all! It's a slippery slope!

"That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?"-- Sojourner Truth

"That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?"-- Sojourner Truth

that is so awesome.

and while it's been discussed before, it's also worth noting (dear doug), that only the rich women and children got off. plenty of poor women and children were still on that ship when it went down.

That's the least convincing threat I've ever heard. "If you don't stop going to university, and getting a job, and generally having your own life at the pace you want it...I might stop holding doors open for you! Scary!"

Dougie lives in this imaginary world where in the past all people dressed in fancy clothes and sat around drinking tea. That is why it was so funny when Knight came and told us how smart Dougie is, because he is only smart in his imaginary world.

So, where in the holy fuck were all these men with a desire to hold the damned door when I was 8 months pregnant and my husband was TDY? The only man who opened a door for me was shamed into it by his wife. Or when I was carrying around my small infant, the only men who jumped to help me were old enough to be my grandfather.

Get over the damn door, for fuck's sake.

*Shrugs*

Chivalry and respect go both ways, across genders.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a complex society where the innate physical differences in strength between the genders are almost a moot point. It is no more straining for a woman to hold a door open than it is for a man. Even our state-of-the-art warfare means that women can be combatants on pretty much equal par as men.

It's called 'progress'. (Not warfare, God forbid, but technological advance and gender egalitarianism).

Archived