IGNORED

The Most Boring Vacation Ever - Sanders Family

onlyorganic

Okay, and I thought the time my parents drove all of us to Tampa to visit my grandfather's childhood friend was boring! No toys, no cookies. Just elderly people sitting in a trailer smoking cigarettes, yet... the Sanders family have treated their kiddos to what appears to be the most BORING VACATION EVER!

I feel sorry for the lil' guys, taking notes about how to be good providers for their future wives, who, I'm sure, were also at that conference...

refinersfireforge.com/blog/?p=5883

Hopefully they got to see some of Asheville. They have a pub there with like 100 different kinds of ale. Safe to say that wasn't the restaurant they visited? :) A nice feminist bookstore or twelve, too.

But they got to hang with the royalty - Dougie, Scott, the interns, all those fabulous dominionists who are laying the groundwork for everyone's future! Wonder if they got to see Peter Bradrick and Kelly, the ones who set the perfect example for all of them? I'm sure they all got great tips and ideas about how to snare the perfect man, without ever actually talking to him, that is. And the boys - they are learning young so they will be even better at it when their turn comes along.

Those conference thingies are a great place to either 1. sleep if you're a kid (I still LOVE to fall asleep to the sound of people talking in the background; or 2. run around on a rampage behind the scenes because your parents think it is a safe place so leave you totally unsupervised and destruction reigns. It doesn't look like their kids got to do either of those things, or she left it off the photo strip.

I guess one positive is, that if you're of marriage age, you might meet someone of whom your parents would approve. Must be hard to meet an appropriate spouse when you're so sheltered all your life.

On the other hand, why bring little kids? For them it definately would be the most boring holiday ever.

The child "taking notes" can't be more than...12? This is just plain scary. When I was 12 I was thinking about how much I'd love to go out for ice cream with Jason Priestley from 90210 (ahem, original 90210). I was NOT thinking how my womb would be used to glorify the Lord and how my (were I a boy) land and edumacation could be used to provide for a giant fam someday. It's creepy they prep' em this early. Can't kids be kids?

ETA: I am going to just pretend he is drawing Optimus Prime and isn't taking notes on how to be an ideal husband someday. I just... this creeps me out so hardcore. Where I come from, this kid's got allllll of high school, college, the party years, and the bachelor years discovering himself before he even needs to begin to think about providing for a family. Maybe I am reading too much into the "notes" but this photo especially makes me sad.

The child "taking notes" can't be more than...12? This is just plain scary. When I was 12 I was thinking about how much I'd love to go out for ice cream with Jason Priestley from 90210 (ahem, original 90210). I was NOT thinking how my womb would be used to glorify the Lord and how my (were I a boy) land and edumacation could be used to provide for a giant fam someday. It's creepy they prep' em this early. Can't kids be kids?

ETA: I am going to just pretend he is drawing Optimus Prime and isn't taking notes on how to be an ideal husband someday. I just... this creeps me out so hardcore. Where I come from, this kid's got allllll of high school, college, the party years, and the bachelor years discovering himself before he even needs to begin to think about providing for a family. Maybe I am reading too much into the "notes" but this photo especially makes me sad.

Let's just hope that his notes were just doodles and that he was thinking "what a crock of shit all this is!"

Reading the title I thought for sure this would be a Maxwell thread.

Me too! But I wasn't quite sure because the "v" word - *whispers* vacation - was used.

Those poor kids look bored beyond death. I think I'd lose my shit if I had to sit there at 12 or whatever, and listen to the droning of then hot air coming from the men on stage. Making it worse is if they HAD to take notes.

Seriously?!? Going to Asheville to spend (what seems to be) the entire time at a Christian marriage conference.... with your gaggle of children?!?!

I went to Asheville on my honeymoon and love that place with all my heart... to see them eating Subway (one of the only major chains in the downtown)... Ok... That is expected.

I'm going to agree with another poster that they did not enjoy one of the MANY micro-breweries or pubs in town... Do these families have an equivalent for "NIKE" when they walk past a head shop? :twisted:

OnlyOrganic: I live in Tampa and I am pretty sure 80% of the town consists of old people in trailers smoking.... I hear of people coming to Tampa for vacation and NOT going to Disney, which is 50 minutes from our downtown and I want to smack them. Our Busch Gardens isn't quite the same.

I did just remember that the Billy Graham leadership center/museum thing is in Asheville.... Fun times kids!!!!

My mom took us to a clock museum in rural Illinois... I think I would have rather gone to a marriage conference.

• 4 weeks later...

"Okay, and I thought the time my parents drove all of us to Tampa to visit my grandfather's childhood friend was boring! No toys, no cookies. Just elderly people sitting in a trailer smoking cigarettes, yet... the Sanders family have treated their kiddos to what appears to be the most BORING VACATION EVER!"

That kinda sounds like the family times with my grandmother's brothers and sisters. I remember sitting in this gigantic house that belonged to my grandmother's sister and my great grandfather was there and the only kids were my sister and me. Booorrrrrring! Then another time my grandmother's brother had Christmas at his house and all the adults sat there unwrapping presents. They forgot about my sister and me until my great grandfather finally gave us both these boxes of coins (which was kind of cool).

Edited to add a couple of comments. I looked at the link to the marriage conference and I thought "Only in hyper fundie land would they have a "gospel

centered marriage conference." Gag!

I can't believe that Paul Washer spoke for an hour and a half on the gospel. What is this, a revival or a marriage conference?

I thought it was funny that the manager of the restaurant insisted on coming out and praying over their food. Did he know something they didn't? :lol:

They took this holiday months ago, so it wasn't recent. But maybe they did visit some fun things.. at least I can hope as even a trip to Denver for a doctors apt would warrent a fun lunch or something fun to do and I'm an adult. For my kids it would be more. Lets hope we didn't get the whole story.

Archived