IGNORED

Maxwells are awfully quiet

denimjumper

It would be sooo boring to eat in that house. So boring to even exist in there, but it's just soooo sad to me that they can't even enjoy food. Do they never get to eat *gasp* "ethnic" food like Chinese?? What they do is bad enough, but not being allowed tasty food is just cruel. Wouldn't they think God made it tasty for a reason, so they should honour His creation by partaking?

I kinda hope they lurk here, because sometimes it seems like they're reacting to what we're talking about. And maybe they did realize how boring they are.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell these folks can make italian food tasteless and boring. I can't imagine raising kids with bland palates or rationing food, or not eating fresh veggies?? WTH how about a nice roasted pepper and asparagus Stromboli. Add some roast garlic, pesto, evoo, pine nuts, maybe some beet greens and a some low fat ricotta??

Can somebody tell me why making a salad in 10 min. is such a big deal? Sarah and one of their commentators mention it like it's this big accomplishment.

Daddy said the lord blessed him with the knowledge that they were to have salad, breadsticks and Stromboli for dinner, prepared by John (after his trip to KC) and Anna. What could there possibly have been to disagree with?

Is Stromboli a relative of the Zamboni?

Sarah is putting together her photo essay on the grass growing, but since this is fall, she'll have to wait until spring. Until then, she'll be working on getting the color juuuuuust right on her pictures. Once her photo essay is finished, there will be a massive amount of picture-heavy posts detailing the growth of the grass that lives near Uriah.

That's all I got.

If they're not allowed tasty food, why do they bother with dessert? Did they find a way to make their cookies taste like cardboard so they wouldn't actually enjoy them?

They totally look like a married couple, and why isn;t John wearing a manly apron?

Is it just me or does anyone else think one stromboli roll isn't enough for all 8 of them. I get they had a salad,bread sticks and cookies for dessert, but the main meal can't be more than 1 piece of stromboli for growing boys? I have a super skinny 15 year old and he alone would need at least 2 or 3 pieces that size himself and be hungry in an hour for more.They totally restrict food.

I picked that up from Sarah's Moody books. There would be a chapter centered around fixing a meal for the family and my response was always, "That's it??? Aren't those kids going to get something else for breakfast besides one Pillsbury roll with jelly on top?"

Can somebody tell me why making a salad in 10 min. is such a big deal? Sarah and one of their commentators mention it like it's this big accomplishment.

My daughter makes the salad here, it takes her 1 minute to throw mixed greens and grape tomatoes in the colander. She might grate a carrot or beets if I have any or add a can of chickpeas or black olives, but usually its just mixed greens and tomatoes.

I still cannot get over the lack of food they eat.I made homemade pizza yesterday. I used a whole jar of marinara sauce and 4 balls of mozz.cheese on the crusts. I cooked chopped onions, green peppers,zucchini in olive oil first and added those before baking.I forgot pepperoni or I would have added enough to cover one whole pizza the whole way(girl hates meat so one without) This was for 5 people with leftovers for lunch today. We also had 3 small heads of broccoli cut up fresh with 4 different hummus flavors for dip(Aldi hummus party pack is like $4 :)) and DH and kids had cookies for dessert. I had 4 squares of Aldi dark chocolate which I love.The kids still had a snack before bed. I would not make it as a Maxwell.

Re: Maxwells are awfully quiet

kunoichi66 wrote:

Quote:

Steve had a whole Corner about how food that tastes good is a temptation to the sin of gluttony so he won't permit it in the house. They're only allowed to eat bland things.

Please tell me you're not serious.

Why did God give us taste buds if we weren't to eat tasty food? I mean, come on! :doh:

The Maxwells mean never having to say you're kidding. I'm 100% serious.

Good point. :doh:

I too would love to read his invectives against food, tasty food, and how it can become an idol.

Me three. I read a lot of the old corners in wayback machine but admittedly, not much registered. I don't remember the food discussion and would love to see how he spins that one!

Ask and you shall receive: titus2.com/corners/5-09-d.htm

Highlights:

Jesus was saying that in regard to doing the right thing, our flesh is weak. The inverse is true as well because the flesh pulls strongly toward what is wrong. When I look at the struggles in my life, I see that I'm at war with my flesh. Like Paul, I know what I should do, but sometimes I don't do it.

I suppose my greatest fleshly struggle is with eating too much. I know mentally what my body appropriately needs to sustain itself, yet, I often choose excess.

So he restricts food for his family, as we've all noticed in their cooking posts..

Jesus said we are to watch and pray if we are to avoid giving in to a temptation. Watch means as we would expect—to be vigilant and observant for those things that are contrary to the Spirit. It means we are to make a conscious decision, a choice that we will be on guard against a temptation to do something to which the Spirit has said, "No." For me the majority of the problem is that I really don't want to be on guard against the temptation of eating too much, because I enjoy it. We prefer to embrace the temptation. A poor defense indeed would be for the soldier to be on the front line watching and guarding, but when the enemy comes near, he gives him a big hug.

Satan says, "Let your family have seconds helpings of burritos, Steve!"

The added difficulty with overcoming the flesh concerning food is that in a sense it isn't wrong. Everyone has to eat. Yet, if our eating isn't done in moderation, it is wrong, and there will be consequences for it.

Like obesity! And hellfire!

To take it a step further, we could look at what leads to overeating. Isn't it being covetous of good tasting things and the pleasure they afford us? I don't know about you, but I have yet to covet food like lettuce, brussel sprouts, and carrots. We covet the things that thrill the taste buds. We might be tempted to excuse being covetous, but when a covetous man is called an idolater, there is no mistaking it for the sin that it is.

If he doesn't crave Brussels sprouts and carrots then he's never had them made properly. Brussels sprouts caramelized in bacon fat? Carrots glazed with a buttery slick of reduced apple cider? Mmmm. Well, whatever, eating food you enjoy (that is, in Maxwell terms, food you "covet") is a temptation to idolatry, which is just about the worst sin there is.

Jesus said there are two things to help with lack of self-control—vigilance and prayer. To be vigilant means we have to be watchful for something that poses a threat. For me that is the greatest struggle. My flesh doesn't consider food harmful. As a first step, it is needful to take appropriate verses such as I've used in this Corner, memorize and then meditate on them to acquire God's viewpoint. Then, once we have the Lord's mindset, we can be watchful for temptation. However, it takes a moving of the will, a conscious decision to agree with the Lord.

Bolding mine. Note for infrequent Maxwell readers: this is far from the only time Steve Maxwell has nonchalantly claimed to have direct knowledge of the mind of God, omnipotent and unfathomable Creator of the universe, and the power to correctly infer His opinions and intentions. To Steve, this is just a matter of everyday fact. He probably skips Job 38 in his thrice-daily Bible time, or else he'd be ashamed of himself.

Steve, just a note, my altar is a stove, but since this is my day of rest, I've ordered a whole sausage and pepper pizza for myself. It will be brought to me by a nubile angel of college age. Amen.

edited for spelling

Arrrrggggghhhh! Now I remember that one. Poor Steve, he needs to get Teri a cookbook if he has never craved brussels sprouts, carrots or lettuce. I abhor cooked carrots, but I can eat half a bag of the baby carrots, raw, in one sitting. Brussels sprouts that are properly cooked in any number of ways - I adore them roasted with garlic - are second only to properly cooked asparagus. And even for this not-a-veggie-lover, sometimes there is nothing better than a fresh salad with lots of lettuce and fresh veggies.

Oh, but wait, I say they taste good when made right and/or craved. I guess I've made them an idol and must forever more only eat cooked carrots to deny my fleshly sin.

Brussel Sprouts carmelized in butter or good olive oil and garlic. My kids will eat a ton of them in one setting.

Barely cooked carrots drizzled with real maple syrup. mmmm.......

I abhor cooked carrots, but I can eat half a bag of the baby carrots, raw, in one sitting.

Oh, but wait, I say they taste good when made right and/or craved. I guess I've made them an idol and must forever more only eat cooked carrots to deny my fleshly sin.

We have the same idol!! :orcs-cheers: I go through like 3-4 pounds of baby carrots a week. I eat them with lunch and snack on them like crazy. In fact tonight when I had breakfast for dinner, I threw a handful on my plate, just because I like them so much. My dogs are even hooked on them; they beg when I pull the bag out of the fridge. I suppose I'm corrupting part of God's creation.

I wonder if Sarah has not posted much on the blog because Steve thinks that she is making an idol of it.

Or maybe he is afraid she'll actually make friends with some of their regular readers?

We have the same idol!! :orcs-cheers: I go through like 3-4 pounds of baby carrots a week. I eat them with lunch and snack on them like crazy. In fact tonight when I had breakfast for dinner, I threw a handful on my plate, just because I like them so much. My dogs are even hooked on them; they beg when I pull the bag out of the fridge. I suppose I'm corrupting part of God's creation.

Have you started turning orange yet? ;) I find that cooked carrots actually seem sweeter. It doesn't matter to me either way, though, because I love carrots. I like most vegetables, except the ones in corny Christian movies. ;)

I will always believe that Steve has made himself the Maxwell God.

He encourages his family to worship him. He makes the decisions on who turns what into idols. He takes a nap while others work. He took away Terri's Diet Pepsi, sports for the boys, and the family's enjoyment of good food.

His inability to control himself in the workplace has caused his family to suffer unnecessarily.

1 package pizza crust dough

1 small jar of jar spaghetti sauce

1/2 pound sliced mushrooms

1/2 of green pepper, sliced

1/2 chopped onion

1/2 can of corn

1 small can sliced black olives

1/4 pound mozzarella cheese

garlic and italian seasoning

THis is my easy ingredient list for stomboli. THis recipe does serve roughly 3-4.

Archived