IGNORED

Bria quoting Asimov - why?

julie paradox

Bria has this at the bottom of her blog. No comments, no nuffin.

"Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly."

-Isaac Asimov-

What is going on?

(should I perhaps not have pointed this out to Kelly? 8-) )

Something quite snark-worthy is this little text which shows up before you comment:

"All comments are filtered. Only kind and gracious comments will be allowed, you can be wrong just don't be hateful about it."

Basically you need to suck up to her? :roll: Also what about the last words? If you disagree with her, then that means you are wrong? She will only allow a dissenting opinion if you suck up to her?

It sounds like she read it to mean that people who are atheists or secular humanists want to force their beliefs into schools, the whole persecuted thing. If that's how she took it, she thinks that this quote is about people who DON'T believe in "endowed by their Creator" (as written at the link), and how they force their secular humanism on innocent school children. When I first read that quote, not knowing what it was about, I saw it the way she must have taken it. It's the way my sister would have taken it. It's part of the whole mentality of christians being persecuted in the U.S. But I don't know who Bria is so..don't know.

Who is Bria?

Wow - I was reading her new blog at open-bookreviews.blogspot.com/ and she is remarkably well-read. She must know who Asimov is! Her taste in movies is very wordly, too - she even has Back to the Future listed as one of her favorites! :o I'm used to that in the fundies I know, but the ones who write these blogs are usually very anti-secular things. It's nice to see how much she has explored literature, movies, music, and that she's been allowed to. Still - it makes the Asimov quote even stranger, since she must misunderstand it!

Thanks - so that is Generation Cedar? Oh wait it looks like Bria's blog is at Candid Creation?

That's Bria's old blog, where she doesn't write anymore. I think I understand why she left that blog: "The tea room was VERY cute! The waitresses were also polite. But there were two very out of place characters. Two young men in their teens with a mop of hair, in a tea room? What guy wants to work in such a feminine place? Maybe I don't want to know!" Basically, she was displaying her ignorance there.

Now she sounds a bit more mature. Her new one is this: happy-healthy-home.blogspot.com/

Her taste in movies is very wordly, too - she even has Back to the Future listed as one of her favorites! :o !

Yup, her taste in music is also quite wordly, I guess. However she thinks listening to Taylor Swift makes her sway to the world's ways, since Taylor's music is immoral (and Taylor's immoral songs can apparently tell you a lot about Taylor's personality :roll: ). Also some of Celine Dion's songs are ungodly, you know.

Wow - I was reading her new blog at open-bookreviews.blogspot.com/ and she is remarkably well-read. She must know who Asimov is!

You think so? Huh. Seems like mostly Christian fiction with a couple classics thrown in.

You think so? Huh. Seems like mostly Christian fiction with a couple classics thrown in.

She's got a whole bunch of non-christian stuff in there. If she loves christian fiction, that's her business, but she also likes other things and that is something significant. I was most impressed with her movie list, because it seemed so filled with stuff that would be against her pure beliefs. Back to the Future, for instance, has some light swearing, and Ever After certainly was NOT about courtship! They even kissed over gypsy ale and he didn't even know that she had no father to ask for courting permission. It just seems...odd. But nice.

Like I said, my extended baptist family would watch and read these things, but they aren't of the whole courtship mentality.

I thought it was by way of showing how evil she thinks people like Asimov are.

:doh: That must be it! Maybe she thought it would be obvious.

She's got a whole bunch of non-christian stuff in there. If she loves christian fiction, that's her business, but she also likes other things and that is something significant.

I went through the whole blog to pick out the non-Christian books, and of them there were:

Two fiction books for children

An economics book ranked at an 8th-10th grade level on Amazon

A world history book for children

Three classics (The Phantom of the Opera, A Tale of Two Cities & The Scarlet Pimpernel)

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

The Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler ~ William L. Shirer

So, IDK. I just think 'well-read' is praise too high for our Bria

I agree, she's not very well read. And I don't know if she has the tools to understand what she reads. Despite her bio, I would not say she has any of the characteristics or traits that Anne of Green Gables or Lizzie Bennet have.

I suppose if she does know who Asimov is, she may be quoting in terms of 1 Corinthians 1:27, the "foolish things will confound the wise," i.e., a big "in your face" to secular people.

I went through the whole blog to pick out the non-Christian books, and of them there were:

Two fiction books for children

An economics book ranked at an 8th-10th grade level on Amazon

A world history book for children

Three classics (The Phantom of the Opera, A Tale of Two Cities & The Scarlet Pimpernel)

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time

The Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler ~ William L. Shirer

So, IDK. I just think 'well-read' is praise too high for our Bria

I saw a whole lot more than that. Maybe we were looking at different blogs of hers. She had a very long list with lots and lots of secular classics on there.

I agree, she's not very well read. And I don't know if she has the tools to understand what she reads. Despite her bio, I would not say she has any of the characteristics or traits that Anne of Green Gables or Lizzie Bennet have.

That was my thought, too. I'm not familiar with Anne of Green Gables, but she really didn't strike me as a Lizzie Bennet-type character. She would have married Mr. Collins, I think.

That's why I was surprised at the secular stuff she has read. Being a "Daughter At Home" seems like any outside interest would have been snuffed out - although I have a friend who is a "Daughter At Home" and she loves secular classics and music, and has dances a la 18th century English ball dances and Jane Austin. I'm just saying that homeschooling/patriarchal ones I know in my own life are so much more liberal in worldly stuff than the ones who write the blogs, in general, so it was nice to see that Bria is aware of actual literature.

Archived