Lily

I'd think the logical location for the mechanical room is in/around the storage room. It could also be in the same corner of the house as the laundry room/play room/clothes room. Or it's that little space recessed into the clothes closet with the door on it, which should be halfway underneath the staircase. That doesn't seem to be a coat room or a bathroom, and it would make sense for the mech room to be there because of all the laundry hookups.

I LOVE floorplans. I missed my calling as an architect, but I did get to design my house's floorplan, which was pretty cool. I'm always trying to figure out the floorplans in houses on TV, LOL!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe. It just seems odd that it would be on an upper floor. Aren't they usually in the basement or on the ground floor because of the hook ups?

I looked at the floorplan because I just have a weird fascination with floorplans in general. Seriously, I started watching a show on HGTV just because they have a small segment where they show a floorplan. But I could not see any door into the master bedroom. It also sucks that the boys room gets a studio, and the girls get a sewing room. They don't even have access from the hallway so there's basically no way that a boy could be interested in sewing or a girl could do A/V stuff. I wonder where they have their SOS computers though? Is it in one of the lofts? The guest bedroom through the laundry room kinda sucks too. When it's not just grandma and they have actual guests, it seems weird to make them go through the laundry room to get there. I guess it's good that it's more private though.

The door to the master suite is on the diagonal wall between the spiral staircase and the side of the bathroom. It's a really odd room, now that I look at it, it always looked weird in the episodes, but it's even weirder for a master suite on the floorplan.

I LOVE floorplans. I missed my calling as an architect, but I did get to design my house's floorplan, which was pretty cool. I'm always trying to figure out the floorplans in houses on TV, LOL!

Oh, good, I'm not the only one :P

Maybe. It just seems odd that it would be on an upper floor. Aren't they usually in the basement or on the ground floor because of the hook ups?

I think they have to be, don't they? :?: My best guess is in the storage room somewhere. That would make the most sense, there just doesn't seem to be room for it upstairs or elsewhere even if it could be on an upper level, and we haven't seen it just out in plain view in the laundry/clothes area.

Oh, good, I'm not the only one :P

:D Do you ever get completely frustrated and/or develop a smug sense of satisfaction when a floorplan completely changes and you realise it's either a set or they've changed locations and disguised it? MAN that bugged me with Friends. I hated Friends to begin with, but the magical mystery apartments of Bizarro World bugged the shit out of me. A room would show up for 2 episodes and then enver be seen or referred to again!

The thing that puzzles me, after just rewatching 16K and moving in, is the square footage claim.

We know the kitchen island is 20 feet long. Using that as a guideline, and assuming the floorplan on the KodiakSteelHomes site is roughly to scale, it can be assumed that the house is about 40x110ft, which would give the base floor 4400sqft in a rectangle, but once you knock off the storage and pantry, which are really just garage space, -600sqft or so, you're left with about 3800sqft. The top floor in a rectangle looks about 34 by 110, which would bring the available floor space to roughly 3700. But a good bit of that is open to below, with just the catwalk overtop of it. We'll be generous and give the upstairs... 2500sqft. So even giving liberal estimates, this only brings them to 6300 or so. And I think 2500 for the upstairs is stretching it hugely. Even if we add in the garage space again, it doesn't bring it to 7000. I've also heard them say 7500, but there's just no way.

Then again, this is all being done by eyeballing the space and using the floorplan's scale as a guide, so it could be way off. But that has never looked like 7000 to me anyway. There's a community building where I live that's 6000 and looks about the same, if not bigger.

I believe they are a child size toliet and a regular one. Makes sense with so many small children.

That's true. They're not designed to be used at the same time - the Duggars make a big deal about how you have to lock the door when you go to the bathroom to avoid having your modesty compromised, and they don't even go into the bathroom with the kids who are toilet training. It's just a regular-sized toilet and a smaller one for the smaller kids.

Michelle said the reason they had it built was because she hates potties. She starts the kids toilet training as soon as they're able to pull down and pull up their pants on their own and climb up on the big toilet by themselves. That's because they only have the one kid-sized toilet, so if it's being used they'll need to get themselves to a adult-sized toilet.

:D Do you ever get completely frustrated and/or develop a smug sense of satisfaction when a floorplan completely changes and you realise it's either a set or they've changed locations and disguised it? MAN that bugged me with Friends. I hated Friends to begin with, but the magical mystery apartments of Bizarro World bugged the shit out of me. A room would show up for 2 episodes and then enver be seen or referred to again!

I hate that! It's particularly bad with animated shows, I think. I've been trying to work out the floorplan of the Simpsons' house for ages.

There's a den behind the garage, next to the kitchen :) trying to figure out the upstairs is impossible, just assume there are big voids all over the place

A place for the furnace, water heater, etc??

They also have that piping under the floors for heating, as well as a "plug and play" vacuum system wired throughout the house. It would also have been smart to put in multiple water heaters for that many people sharing that many baths, so hopefully they did that. All of that stuff might require more space than the average house for a "mechanical room". It still seems more logical to put it on the ground floor, but it's not really a requirement. Since their mechanical room is under the eaves of the house, it probably has sloped ceilings and may not be suited for much else.

This is off topc, but I saw it mentioned in one of the replies. Wtf is "Nike"? I have been wondering for a while, and I can't figure it out, or remember (in case it's something I should know from watching the show).

Wtf is "Nike"?

Nike is what people shout when the kids have to avoid looking at something that would 'defraud' them.

I always laugh when I see it, actually....in ancient Greek, the word 'nike' means 'victory'!

It tickles my funny bone lol :dance:

Guest Anonymous

Nike is what people shout when the kids have to avoid looking at something that would 'defraud' them.

I always laugh when I see it, actually....in ancient Greek, the word 'nike' means 'victory'!

That's what Michelle's uterus will shout when she finally goes into menopause.

kunoichi66 wrote:

That's what Michelle's uterus will shout when she finally goes into menopause.

:laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rolling::laughing-rofl:

Here's their floor plan: http://www.kodiaksteelhomes.com/images/ ... orPlan.pdf

They actually have two small rooms downstairs with doors/closet space. Grandma has the room with adjoining bath off the laundry room, labeled as the "guest suite". It sucks that it's off the laundry room but it's probably also fairly private and quiet back there (all that white noise from the washers and dryers running).

Just going off appearances, I do feel badly for her. Whether she wants to be there or not, it seems like she's lost her spark.

Interesting that Jim Bob's office gets a closet. It was obviously added on purpose, I wonder why he gets a closet and no one else does?

Well, it keeps her close to her chores.

What in the world is a "good bye" room?? It's right next to Jim Bob's office on the 1st floor. Is that a fancy name for a mudroom???

Maybe it's where they pray over you before they kick you out for bringing sin in.

It sounds like stuff like "Keeping Room", "Gathering Room", your home MUST have special names to show how close and bonded the family is. Maybe probably.

Just curious - which rooms were they on Friends?

I've been trying very hard to figure out the iCarly floor plan!

Um but back on topic - Amy really confuses me. The parents let her be around their girls, and she is on the show, but she just seems like a huge danger to lure the girls into sin :idea: :D Have any of you heard JB or Michelle mention Amy's role in the family? I mean they must feel she has a place that doesn't let sin in.

• 3 months later...

Amy is there to show that they aren't *that* secluded and conservative. Perhaps TLC didn't want them compared to Kate Gosselin and how she completely abandoned her friends and family once she acquired a little fame.

I think Amy and Deanna and Grandma are the ways they show they haven't abandoned their family etc.... Makes them seem more human.

What I don't understand is why Grandma can't have a little house or even a nice trailer house (some of them are pretty nice) on the massive property. She doesn't seem in need of supervision. But, that's what I would do for my mom.... I wouldn't want her to be my slave or nanny or live like a child in my home.... if I could afford it I would give her her own space nearby so I could look after her but where she could still live like an adult.

I just realized that she was born on the same day as my late mother (who died at age 55) which is on May 26, 1941. So Grandma Duggar is 71 and taking responsibility for those who won't. I can't imagine my mother alive to exist to take care of my (pretend) army of children. When I think of it this way, it makes me even sadder.

They also have that piping under the floors for heating, as well as a "plug and play" vacuum system wired throughout the house. It would also have been smart to put in multiple water heaters for that many people sharing that many baths, so hopefully they did that. All of that stuff might require more space than the average house for a "mechanical room". It still seems more logical to put it on the ground floor, but it's not really a requirement. Since their mechanical room is under the eaves of the house, it probably has sloped ceilings and may not be suited for much else.

I don't remember which episode I saw it on, but I believe JB said there were four large (larger than average residential) water heaters. I don't think he mentioned the layout.

What in the world is a "good bye" room?? It's right next to Jim Bob's office on the 1st floor. Is that a fancy name for a mudroom???

My guess is that's a joke. I have relatives from roughly that part of the country (NE Oklahoma/SW Missouri) who laugh about how long it takes to say goodbyes and send houseguests on their way. The guests are ready to go, their hosts see them to the door, and they say goodbye--only to stand around on the porch, in the driveway, or just inside the front door exchanging small-talk for dog years before goodbye really means goodbye. I've heard some of them joke about hasty goodbyes that only took two hours. So it's no stretch for me to imagine the Duggars doing the same thing and thus calling their mudroom/vestibule a "goodbye room," because that's where you stand around while making those prolonged goodbyes.

Archived