IGNORED

Would you consider ATI/IBLP a cult?

CanticleoftheTurning

There are theological cults (according to Walter Martin's tradition who wrote the first definitive Christian book on cults. Any group who denies the deity of Christ is a cult theologically.

Then there is the social psychology/anti-cult movement definition of a cult which looks at the surreptitious techniques used by ideological groups. The accepted gold standard is Robert Lifton's eight techniques of ideological totalism, but there are other variations on them like Margaret Singer's list. And Biderman's list was used by Amnesty International to form their statement on domestic abuse. (I've got quick charts of all of these in the sidebar of my website.)

Christians don't particularly like to hear that the same techniques used on the Korean POWs when they were brainwashed, so they prefer to think of the same techniques as "Spiritual Abuse." watchman.org/profile/abusepro.htm

Steve Hassan's BITE model explains how a person can be dominated by controling behavior, information, thought, and emotion. Look at his FAQ list for more info. freedomofmind.com/Info/faq.php

I believe that IBLP is definitely a cult. It meets all of the criteria of spiritual abuse. If you choose to take the Lifton approach, it also meets those criteria as well.

So, in my blog post, I was going through each hallmark of a cult, and I've been linking numerous articles under each point. I'm just missing articles on this one:

Subservience to the leader or group requires members to cut ties with family and friends, and radically alter the personal goals and activities they had before joining the group.

but I remember reading somewhere about people having to cut ties or drastically reduce them in order to be properly Christian. I suppose I could use the numerous "music is evil!" posts under "personal activities."

And then I could have SWORN I read something about the ATI kids/teens having to work a lot, like excessively a lot, at the ATI camps or seminars...but for all my searching and link following (for 4 hours...) I can't seem to find what I had read. It would fit under this heading:

Mind-altering practices (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, and debilitating work routines) are used in excess and serve to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s).

And then yes, Gothard fits ALL of the cult criteria.

I'd just have to upload some sort of picture, either of the Duggars or of Gothard, and then my post will go live on the ChicagoNow blog.

I would appreciate help finding sources if anyone could oblige :) My blog post is basically explaining exactly why, with details, I am not happy about #20, with my worry about the cult and abuse...

Definitely will!

Probably some time tomorrow after I get all my links taken care of, the picture inserted, etc. It's kind of a long post, but I hope I hit all the major points.

Definitely will!

Probably some time tomorrow after I get all my links taken care of, the picture inserted, etc. It's kind of a long post, but I hope I hit all the major points.

Thanks! I'd be interested in the link too.

Archived