IGNORED

Do the Duggars always wear two tops?

Daenerys

Wearing a cami (which I do a lot) or a tank top under another top does not look weird. Wearing a long-sleeved top under everything looks weird, to me. Robyn, Christine, and Meri do it a lot, and Christine nearly all the time.

I actually own a Liz Clairborne pool shirt that has a white lining in the front that gives the two shirt look and I would guess a bit cooler than actually wearing two shirts.

The Brown women and their double tops look silly to me, considering they are rolly polly ladies (except for Robin) and the choice of bright cami over tight brown long sleeved shirt makes them look like they are part sausage.

I only have one thing to say. As a menopausal woman, I can NOT imagine wearing double tops in 95 degree weather, or for physical labor types of jobs.

I sometimes wear that look, although I agree that it's not so flattering on the Browns. It helps to have a bit of taste and occasionally look in a mirror while dressing.

Practically speaking, since I need reasonably nice, conservative clothes for work and modest (elbows covered) tops for synagogue on Saturdays, I have a drawer full of 3/4 sleeve shell tops. The material is very thin - much thinner than a typical t-shirt - and it has plenty of lycra. This makes it the perfect piece to wear under anything. However, I'm busty and a really thin top full of lycra looks a bit obscene if I don't have a layering piece to go over it. Aside from the modesty factor, 3/4 sleeves also make me look about 10 lbs slimmer, since I have skinny wrists but major upper arm jiggle. If I'm not out in the sun, black works better than white. I also have sleeveless shells, and even a half-shell that just goes past the boobs, but those require a top with a sleeve.

When you are busty, it's hard to find a top that looks decent if you don't layer. Too loose makes me look enormous, too tight means that all you see is boobs sticking out. Button-up shirts just don't look good on me, since they either gap or look like a tent. What I really need is a nice shell to contain everything and provide a foundation, with a jacket, cardigan, wrap, vest or wispy little top over, preferably something that gives a nice V-shape at the neck, goes in a bit at the waist and skims over the tummy.

Religious girls also use the shells so that they can avoid completely matronly styles, and shop at regular stores. If you have a shell underneath, you can wear virtually anything over it and still be within the modesty rules. Muslim women cover to the wrist, not just the elbow, so it's even harder to find regular tops that aren't matronly or bulky with long sleeves, especially if you want something lightweight for summer.

Here I am wearing just a cami over my bra, you ladies are making me feel a bit of a harlot! I get hot easily, no way I'm wearing two shirts unless it's for the purpose of being able to remove the top layer if I get too warm. Or, possibly, with shirts that are meant to be worn over another shirt, like loose plaid button ups or sweaters that only reach your waist or loose transparent blouses or something like that. And if it's summer, you can be certain I'm just wearing a tank top and shorts, and if anything is revealed, well, damnit, it's hot here in summer!

If I'm working out, I just wear a tank top.

Usually, if I'm wearing a shell, it's either not summer or I'm indoors. The air conditioning at work is pretty strong. The few times that I did wear them in really hot weather, I also wore an extremely light skirt with sandals, and the layers on top wear also light-colored and super lightweight. On long walks, I even drenched my hair in water to keep cool.

I'm almost always wearing a kidney warmer (plain black or white, no grandma model) under my shirts and tops, mainly because of temperature issues. also nothing will show over the jeans that is not supposed to show . low rise jeans especially...

if it's really, really warm though, i just dont care and wear sundresses most of the time anyway.

i am not too concerned with cleavage though. there isn't too much to show (unfortunately)

Arkansas is hot in the SUMMER....

My daughter, a 15 year old cheerleader in public school, and her friends all wear two layers--whether or not they're in school. They got used to camisoles when they were the style and still layer t-shirts or camis with just about everything!

Probably camis or light tshirts underneath. I grew up with the "double layer" teaching being pretty standard for girls, though t-shirt material wasn't acceptable at all, since it's "clingy".

I'm fine with wearing t-shirts now, but I almost always put something underneath. Mostly because I'm "big" overall, but have a small bust, so shirts in my size tend to show all the way down to my belly button if I bend over. So I wear a snug, light weight t-shirt underneath. And it's actually not so bad in the summer. Plus, the first shirt catches all the nasty sweat, so I don't get dark stains on the outer layer. bonus! :p (and yes, I do use antiperspirant and all that. just a prolific sweat-er, sadly)

I always wear two shirts! :O Sometimes I'll wear a contrasting, longer shirt underneath if the shirt on top is too short or a long sleeved shirt under a short sleeved shirt but often I'll just wear two of the exact same t-shirt, one over the other. Then I wear an unbuttoned cardigan or a (similarly unbuttoned) button up long sleeved shirt over top of that. When I go to the gym, I wear two thinner t-shirts... Donno why! I've been doing it for years and feel naked otherwise.

I also noticed it on All-American Muslim last night, where at least one Muslim woman was wearing a tight-fitting white top underneath a sleeveless dress. I also found that odd-looking. It seems to me some sort of jacket or even shawl worn over the sleeveless dress would look much better. Or perhaps just don't pick a sleeveless dress if you find it immodest or otherwise inappropriate?

You've never put a long sleeved shirt underneath a dress or short sleeved shirt because it's cold/adapting a summer dress for fall/etc? I don't see much of a difference.

Course, I like the way that long sleeves look when layered under shorter sleeves. Just have to get the neckline right, since I don't have a modesty thing other than having a large chest. Which means I'm often wearing a cami layer anyways, even in the summer. Once you sweat through the first layer, it keeps you nice and cool.

I notice it way more on the Browns, mainly Christine, than on the Duggars. She wears what I'd consider the tank top over the other, fuller shirt. I find it a rather odd use of the tank top.

Same here. I wear a cami or tight tank top under most of my shirts to keep the "girls" in check but putting a tank top over a long-sleeved shirt just seems a bit pointless to me.

I only have one thing to say. As a menopausal woman, I can NOT imagine wearing double tops in 95 degree weather, or for physical labor types of jobs.

As a 20 year old woman I can't either!

As someone with huge tracts of land, I frequently wear a cami under shirts with a lower neckline to help keep the "girls" in and not have inappropriate levels of cleavage. I rarely wear long-sleeve shirts under other shirts, though, and when I do it's because it's cold and I need to layer, not for modesty reasons.

I frequently wear two shirts if the top one is too low cut for my taste. But I live in northern CA, and my undershirts are usually just camisoles with no sleeves

Yeah I do the same and I live in DC. Also I think layering looks pretty.

I don't have huge tracts of land (in fact, they're very small) but I wear two tops because they actually give me more cleavage. :D

I hate the v-necked ones, they don't work nearly as well.

I always wear a cami under a shirt- many shirts for juniors are made with a thin, stretchy, see-through fabric and require something underneath. I also get cold very easily, and in winter it keeps me warm. In summer it helps keep the sweat off my back, and also stops the sweat from seeping through my 'good' shirt.

I do this, but I'm still nursing. The innermost top goes down, top on top goes up, boom, instant "modest" breastfeeding, without a gigantic cape that screams "TITTYS ARE OUT AND BABY IS FEEEEEEDING" ala J'chelle.

That and even if I'm not planning on nursing, i'm VERY long waisted, and my tops have a tendency to ride up. If I wear 2, for some reason they don't as much.

I haven't really gone out in only 1 top since the baby was born :oops:

I find nursing takes help a lot and since some of my clothes ride funny (what with changing 1+ cup sizes during the day, several times), having that coverage is helpful--even if I DO use the cape while nursing ;)

Archived