IGNORED

"Make Your Bed to the Glory of God"

rockytop

I always straighten my covers right before getting into bed. They have to be straight then. The rest of the time I wouldn't care, but I do yank the covers up during the day because I live in a studio. I sort of have to keep the clutter down because a) it's small and b) when you walk in, you see the whole house. I don't want the maintenance guy to think I'm a total slob if my toilet goes out on me or something.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excerpts from Proverbs 31 were recited at my aunt's funeral yesterday. Like many of the wonderful women in my family, she was what I truly think of as fitting that text (well, except for having servants -- none of us can afford that!).

I hate what the fundies make of it, ignoring all of the parts about her being a businesswoman, and, if they are also frilly-faux-Victorian worshippers, also ignoring the part about her being strong and hard-working. Oh, and quite a few ignore the part about giving to the poor, as well.

My Hebrew is not fabulous, so someone who know better is free to correct me, but I think this translation, which I found online, is pretty accurate:

An accomplished woman, who can find? Her value is far beyond pearls.

Her husband's heart relies on her and he shall lack no fortune.

She does him good and not evil, all the days of her life.

She seeks wool and flax, and works with her hands willingly.

She is like the merchant ships, she brings her bread from afar.

She arises while it is still night, and gives food to her household and a portion to her maidservants.

She plans for a field, and buys it. With the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.

She girds her loins in strength, and makes her arms strong.

She knows that her merchandise is good. Her candle does not go out at night.

She sets her hands to the distaff, and holds the spindle in her hands.

She extends her hands to the poor, and reaches out her hand to the needy.

She fears not for her household because of snow, because her whole household is warmly dressed.

She makes covers for herself, her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Her husband is known at the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.

She makes a cloak and sells it, and she delivers aprons to the merchant.

Strength and honor are her clothing, she smiles at the future.

She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the lesson of kindness is on her tongue.

She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children rise and praise her, her husband lauds her.

Many women have done worthily, but you surpass them all.

Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears God shall be praised.

Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

http://judaism.about.com/od/shabbatpray ... chayil.htm

This was the Gospel reading today (in the Catholic church).... I immediately remembered your post from yesterday when it was being read. I could only think of fundie husbands and wives during the reading, so I essentially got nothing from the Mass. I'm an awesome Catholic.

I think this is from Isaac Watts:

A servant with this cause Makes drudgery divine;

Who sweeps a room, as for Thy laws, Makes that and the action fine

At least he admitted it's drudgery!

It makes me think of Carrie Newcomer's Holy as a Day is Spent. Love these lines. Is it okay to c and p the whole thing? If not, I'll edit.

Holy is the dish and drain

The soap and sink, the cup and plate

And the warm wool socks, and the cold white tile

Showerheads and good dry towels

And frying eggs sound like psalms

With a bit of salt measured in my palm

It’s all a part of a sacrament

As holy as a day is spent

Holy is the busy street

And cars that boom with passion’s beat

And the check out girl, Counting change

And the hands that shook my hands today

Hymns of geese fly overhead

And stretch their wings like their parents did

Blessed be the dog

That runs in her sleep

The catch that wild and elusive thing

Holy is a familiar room and the quiet moments in the afternoon

And folding sheets like folding hands

To pray as only laundry can

I’m letting go of all I fear

Like autumn leaves of earth and air

For summer came and summer went

Holy is the place I stand

To give whatever small good I can

The empty page, the open book

Redemption everywhere I look

Unknowingly we slow our pace

In the shade of unexpected grace

With grateful smiles and sad lament

And morning light sings “providenceâ€

In short, I guess I agree with the OP, even if I rarely make my bed.

When my husband was working the PM swing shift, he'd get up much later than me, and he'd make the bed every day. Now that he goes to work at the ungodly hour of 5 AM, no one makes the bed (what, are you suggesting that I do so?).

I made my bed this morning before I left for work. Just like I do every morning. Like I've done every morning since I was a child. I have never had a religious revelation or experience while completing this task. ;)

I made my bed this morning before I left for work. Just like I do every morning. Like I've done every morning since I was a child. I have never had a religious revelation or experience while completing this task.

Yes, but Courtney has nothing else going on in her life and needs blog fodder.

I get out of bed at about 4:00 AM to go to the gym, then to work, every morning. My husband is still sleeping in it at that time. Most days he makes it when he gets up for work or at least pulls the covers back up. Other days, no one makes it as he is in a bit more of a rush or just does not care too. My husband has loosened up over the years as he used to be much more concerned with making it properly every morning (former military). I on the other hand see no point in making it when I get home from work given it has survived most of the day unmade already without the house burning down. When I lived on my own, I'd rarely "make the bed", though sometimes I would be inclined to somewhat pull the covers back up.

My husband once joked that I get up early to avoid making it, and I offered to start making it when I get up with him still in it. He declined.

I am probably quite the heathen, though.

Archived