IGNORED

"Make Your Bed to the Glory of God"

rockytop

I wonder if the blogger will permit her dsughter(s) to attend post-secondary away from home or if she's received a revelation that a daughter's training now begins & ends w the "domestic arts,"

Probably. As a kid, my family attended the church she goes to and I've met her. It's mostly fundie-lite, with a bit of more conservative backlash. Almost everyone there goes to Liberty. She'll probably send her daughter there or Moody, since they have the money, even if the girl is only interested in homemaking. They have family development and women's ministry degrees that a lot of girls get there in order to "get the college experience" even if their bigger aspiration is to be SAHMs.

SAHDs are relatively unheard of in her real life circle.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw man, I am such a failure. I never made a big deal of my daughter making up (or not making up) her bed. :cry:

Up until very recently, my husband made up our bed for over 23 years. I've finally started doing it in the morning, since I wake up later and he seems to like it. (see that's one of those lessons the wanna be submissive types should learn )

Alas, he still changes the linen.

Amen.

Since I started reading fundie blogs I have been using God to justify any thing I want. For example: today the Lord called me to make homemade cinnamon buns. I submitted to his will. Then the Lord called me to lick all the "extra" icing from the mixing bowl and again I submitted to his will. Later I suspect that the Lord to guide me to some fine Merlot.

"Sure, it’s not perfect, nor the way I would do it…but she’s a domestic artist in training!".... I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit! But I am a heathen Catholic convert and we don't read the Bible, so I don't really understand it.

Just glanced in my bedroom...I am SO going to hell... :twisted:

You, too? I refuse to make my bed unless company is coming. After all, at the end of the day I'm just going to mess it up again, right? :naughty:

Since I started reading fundie blogs I have been using God to justify any thing I want. For example: today the Lord called me to make homemade cinnamon buns. I submitted to his will. Then the Lord called me to lick all the "extra" icing from the mixing bowl and again I submitted to his will. Later I suspect that the Lord to guide me to some fine Merlot.

:lol:

I just glanced in my bedroom as well, and I'm joining Kitten in hell. Not only is the bed unmade, but there is a NAKED MAN in it, to whom I am not married... :twisted: And even when the man gets out of bed, it probably won't get made...

Damn, I just make the bed to keep the cat from sleeping directly on my pillow. Guess I'll be spending eternity with Basement Cat.

Especially since my mind went immediately to the gutter when I saw the thread title...

The people who define a Proverbs 31 woman as somebody obsessed with housework and juggling 2,738 tasks per day on top of that forgets that the woman in the poem has servants. And not undertrained underaged daughters either. Servants, professionals, who she pays to take care of the house FOR her.

Me, too, but it's the dog's fault.

Clearly he is Cerberus, the hound of Hell.

Excerpts from Proverbs 31 were recited at my aunt's funeral yesterday. Like many of the wonderful women in my family, she was what I truly think of as fitting that text (well, except for having servants -- none of us can afford that!).

I hate what the fundies make of it, ignoring all of the parts about her being a businesswoman, and, if they are also frilly-faux-Victorian worshippers, also ignoring the part about her being strong and hard-working. Oh, and quite a few ignore the part about giving to the poor, as well.

My Hebrew is not fabulous, so someone who know better is free to correct me, but I think this translation, which I found online, is pretty accurate:

An accomplished woman, who can find? Her value is far beyond pearls.

Her husband's heart relies on her and he shall lack no fortune.

She does him good and not evil, all the days of her life.

She seeks wool and flax, and works with her hands willingly.

She is like the merchant ships, she brings her bread from afar.

She arises while it is still night, and gives food to her household and a portion to her maidservants.

She plans for a field, and buys it. With the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.

She girds her loins in strength, and makes her arms strong.

She knows that her merchandise is good. Her candle does not go out at night.

She sets her hands to the distaff, and holds the spindle in her hands.

She extends her hands to the poor, and reaches out her hand to the needy.

She fears not for her household because of snow, because her whole household is warmly dressed.

She makes covers for herself, her clothing is fine linen and purple.

Her husband is known at the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.

She makes a cloak and sells it, and she delivers aprons to the merchant.

Strength and honor are her clothing, she smiles at the future.

She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the lesson of kindness is on her tongue.

She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Her children rise and praise her, her husband lauds her.

Many women have done worthily, but you surpass them all.

Charm is deceptive and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears God shall be praised.

Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

http://judaism.about.com/od/shabbatpray ... chayil.htm

I know I've said this in these forums before, but I hate the way fundies get all legalistic when they interpret those lines. Like, it's okay for a woman to plant a field or make clothing at home, but it's not okay for a woman to work outside the home. Well, duh--when those lines were written, there really wasn't a workplace outside of the home. Hey, dumbasses, the menfolk were also planting fields and manufacturing goods at home, because that's how the Biblical economy was set up. Factories and offices and retail establishments did not yet exist.

Oh, and by the way:

She extends her hands to the poor, and reaches out her hand to the needy [...] and does not eat the bread of idleness.

Suck it, Lady Lydia

She girds her loins in strength, and makes her arms strong.

Suck it all "complementarians" everywhere.

Sounds to me she's trying to glom off of the "Chop wood, carry water" mantra of the....Buddhists? (Or is it Hindu? Ack, my ethnocentricity is showing.)

But then again, what do I know? I used to quote that in college when people would ask me why I can't bear to sleep in an unmade bed. Moreover, I wash the sheets every three days, minimum, and have been doing so since, oh, age 12. Seriously, I've found myself asking more than a few times in the past three decades why I care so fucking much about my sheets! It's a curse, I tell you, a curse!

I only make beds when guests are coming over who would actually be invited upstairs where the bedrooms are.

Me too. There are tons of things I would rather be doing than spending hours and hours perfecting my bed (and making my own bedcovers).

She makes a cloak and sells it, and she delivers aprons to the merchant.

Strength and honor are her clothing, she smiles at the future.

It sounds to me like she's allowed to work!

I dont make my bed - ever. I dont see a point. I change the sheets and throw the comforter back on it, but why waste time on something I'm just going to mess up? Plus... the dogs...

I'll see you in the circle of hell for women who hate chores/don't give a crap about "homemaking"!

I'll see you in the circle of hell for women who hate chores/don't give a crap about "homemaking"!

which, I remember reading in my early days of fundie fascination, is akin to being a witch...

Most days I make up my bed just before getting in at night. Discombobulated sheets and blankets make me feel dirty. Weird, I know!

I do the same thing!!! :D

homegrownmom.com/homemaking-for-girls/make-your-bed-to-the-glory-of-god/4069

Ummmm..... I'm sorry, but what? I stumbled across this recently and still haven't quite figured it out. Does she mean that my comforter should be beautiful and pleasing, or that the act itself should be a supreme act of homemaking glory? Is this how the fundie housewives make it through the day? By pretending something as mundane as making a bed is ridiculously important to their spiritual wellbeing? Seriously, I consider myself a Christian but have never even entertained the thought that God cares how I make my bed. I just found this a little bit odd.

My philosophy is why make your bed when you're just going to sleep in it again :lol: And I am a Christian too.

I'm probably a terrible person for this, but I find it hilarious that there's a Moody Bible Institute. I know it's just his name, but I'm imagining a little frowny-faced Bible with lots of glum verses from Lot and Jeremiah.

:lol: :clap:

It makes me a kind of crazy I'm aware of but refuse to acknowledge fully, but I just washed my sheets and made my bed. And instead of thinking what I instinctively think - how awesome it is to slip under the covers into fresh sheets - I thought "am I doing this for god or for me? How can I glorify god by tucking in the corners and smoothing over the comforter".

Of course, I thought that within the confines of the sarcasm party that lives in my head 24/7 and chuckled.

Good thing I live alone and don't have to explain my random outbursts of laughter while doing regular, mundane household chores.

(And, as a side note, I am eagerly anticipating 8pm, since it's a relatively acceptable time for a gown woman to go to bed, so I can crawl into those sheets and wrap up in the fresh smell along with the down comforter and cozy blanket - all the things that make bed the coziest place to be. If god doesn't find glory in my dreamy comfort, he won't find glory in anything I ever do).

edited because typos suck

You, too? I refuse to make my bed unless company is coming. After all, at the end of the day I'm just going to mess it up again, right? :naughty:

That's my philosophy.

Archived