IGNORED

"Make Your Bed to the Glory of God"

rockytop

homegrownmom.com/homemaking-for-girls/make-your-bed-to-the-glory-of-god/4069

Ummmm..... I'm sorry, but what? I stumbled across this recently and still haven't quite figured it out. Does she mean that my comforter should be beautiful and pleasing, or that the act itself should be a supreme act of homemaking glory? Is this how the fundie housewives make it through the day? By pretending something as mundane as making a bed is ridiculously important to their spiritual wellbeing? Seriously, I consider myself a Christian but have never even entertained the thought that God cares how I make my bed. I just found this a little bit odd.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of get what she says, but then, I am fundie-lite :)

BUT I also think that this obsession with the Proverbs 31 woman is over the top and people read into that passage whatever they want. If she really wanted to use a Bible verse for getting her kid to make her bed well, how about: Do everything as unto the Lord and not unto men. I teach all my kids (boys included) that we do everything we can to the best of our abilities. That includes making beds and washing dishes, and playing sport and learning. It isn't about art, it is about doing what needs to be done and doing it properly.

I must admit, I thought that the subject of the thread was going to be all about having baby-making sex in bed and satisfying the patriarchy horndog husband's desires while looking up at the ceiling and offering it up for the glory of God.

I guess not. :think:

Yep, it's not enough that her little homemaker in training is making her bed, she has to be HAPPY about it and turn it into a creative outlet! That's what women are good for you know...making beds, mopping floors, and having babybeezzz.

It's just another way for these people to control their kids. It's not enough that they control their actions, they want to control their thoughts and emotions as well.

This makes me think of the following gem from Life in a Shoe:

If a Christian fries an egg, he self-consciously fries it to the glory of God. It is a Christian egg.

:lol:

This makes me think of the following gem from Life in a Shoe:

And then he eats the Christian egg? This doesn't strike me as very Christian. I thought that was the point of the talking animals in Narnia was that you don't eat them because they believe in Aslan too.

Courtney blogs over at Women Living Well. She has been married to her high school sweet heart for 13 years, home schools her son and daughter and is a graduate of the Moody Bible Institute.

I'm probably a terrible person for this, but I find it hilarious that there's a Moody Bible Institute. I know it's just his name, but I'm imagining a little frowny-faced Bible with lots of glum verses from Lot and Jeremiah.

Blergh...just another reason to chastise your kids for not making their beds perfectly - "would you make the bed that way if Jesus was coming to visit??? Look at those seams! They're not straight! And what about that pillow sham! Straighten those ruffles!"

(ask me how I know...yay being raised by a perfectionist mother :roll: )

Sorry, this is just more girl-hating bullshit. So boys get to go on Manly Adventures , but girls get to praise god by making the fucking BED? Just looking at xmas toy ads confirms this cultural mandate. Hell, the Target toy ad probably has as many housework toys for girls as Vision Forum does. Patriarchal society hates girls, even more than mainstream society does.

I don't think any god gives a rat's ass about how I make my bed or what I make it with.

If he/she/it does, it would go a long way in explaining why I have no use for him/her/it.

I get where she's coming from, sort of. The Bible says to do everything to the glory of God, so I've heard people say similar things in fundie and non-fundie (Ok, probably fundie-lite or fundie-but-not-as-crazy-as-I'm-used-to) churches - "Do your job to the glory of God, do the dishes to the glory of God, etc & so on". Still, the way she combines it with making the bed and sort of rambles off about beauty and happiness in the midst of it makes it really awkward.

Also, I never thought of this, but I just noticed people always seem to bring out that phrase when the work is mundane or unpleasant, but not for enjoyable things. I thought God wants us to be happy too, and since we do everything to His glory, I think I'm gonna spend some time this evening lounging around the house watching Netflix and eating chocolate to the glory of God. ;)

Also, I never thought of this, but I just noticed people always seem to bring out that phrase when the work is mundane or unpleasant, but not for enjoyable things. I thought God wants us to be happy too, and since we do everything to His glory, I think I'm gonna spend some time this evening lounging around the house watching Netflix and eating chocolate to the glory of God. ;)

Amen.

Good gosh.

Being raised Lutheran, I learned that doing *everything* to the glory of God was shorthand for, "Everything you do is sacred, and keeping your room clean is as important as Pastor's sermon on Sunday."

IOW, each one of us counts! Each one of us is equally precious to God.

My widowed aunt bought ugly (MHO) bedspreads for her kids. Plainer than plain, but they had piping around the top to help the kid know when the spread was properly in place. Her children -- sons-- both went on to great careers and families.

I wonder if the blogger will permit her dsughter(s) to attend post-secondary away from home or if she's received a revelation that a daughter's training now begins & ends w the "domestic arts,"

(Why yes, I am on a roll, this AM!)

Also: where's she get off saying the Prov 31 wife "spent countless hours " weaving a blanket? If ole P31 was doing everything else listed in that wearying chapter, she practiced time management and knew better than to obsess/bliss out over one activity or another.

Where do bloggers like her learn to make grandiose, dramatic statements that obfuscate the truth and ... Oh, yeah: their extremist pastors. Never mind.

Just glanced in my bedroom...I am SO going to hell

Me too! I only make the bed when I change the sheets, even then it's pretty jacked up. Oddly, my 6 year old makes her bed most mornings.....but I think that is so she can make all of her stuffed animals comfortable. ;)

Seriously, I never understood WHY it would matter to God how I make my bed or mop my floor or fold my undies. Doesn't s/he have better things to worry about?

♫ Seek ye first to make your bed

All to the glory of God

Then you can feel free to do these other chores

Hallelu- hallelujah.... ♫

I still don't get how the fundies read those verses about the Eishes Chayil and convince themselves that she was some shrinking violet, cloistered away in her room making beds or whatever. That lady was running a business, bargaining with merchants for fabric and doing a ton of other stuff. She probably hired someone to make her damn beds, because she had way better things to be doing with her time!

♫ Seek ye first to make your bed

All to the glory of God

Then you can feel free to do these other chores

Hallelu- hallelujah.... ♫

Not sure why exactly, but this made me seriously :lol: and is now stuck in my head. So, thanks.

I've heard the "God wants everything you do to be your personal best" argument, and I agree with it to a certain extent, but it just seems like this lady is placing waaaay too much importance on such a mundane task. And the whole "giving my daughter a Godly homemaking education" thing creeps me out.

Archived