IGNORED

For Those Wondering About the Duggars & Spanking

Jessica

No, not in the same episode.

I saw the ep. with Jordyn and Jessa yesterday on youtube.

I'll try to find it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, not in the same episode.

I saw the ep. with Jordyn and Jessa yesterday on youtube.

I'll try to find it.

Thank you!! I'm usually good at finding stuff online. I'm on meds that make me a bit fuzzy so I appreciate the help!!

Children under 2-3 years old have no impulse control. The best way to keep them out of trouble is to redirect and distract them (like with a toy). Too bad people who do blanket training can't wrap their heads around this concept.

I also could sit still and color or complete workbook pages at a very young age. My little brother, on the other hand, couldn't even sit at a restaurant table when he was four and possibly even older. He has always had a lot more energy then me, and we just have different personalities in this regard. My point being just that young children, like adults, can be very different. IMO "good" parents find things that interest their children and work with their energy levels, etc. Until high school my brother was on enough sports teams that he typically needed to be at 2 practices a day, when he had fewer my mom and I could hardly stand to have him in the house.

Just as when you get a high-energy dog they need a lot more activity than a low-energy dog or you will have trouble with them behaving in the home, kids are the same way. The only difference is a dog's breed is a good predictor of their energy level, while with kids you never know what you're going to get. The goal should not be to train (or beat) it out of them, but instead work with what God or genetics gave you.

Jessica posted this quote about blanket training:

It’s teaching them responsibility (knowing & doing what both God & others are expecting of them) at an early age.

Somehow I just don't think God expects little kids to sit quietly on a blanket. Well, any god I might be inclined to believe in wouldn't expect that.

If God wanted babies to sit quietly on a blanket, he would have made them inclined to do so. I am currently watching my one-year-old go through his morning routine of dismantling my house.

If God wanted babies to sit quietly on a blanket, he would have made them inclined to do so.

This.

I am currently watching my one-year-old go through his morning routine of dismantling my house.

:lol:

That sounds very cute. Nice that he knows his responsibility and gets right to it! ;)

Was that in his chore pack?

Yes, his chore pack for the morning reads as follows:

Pull DVDs from shelf.

Remove Tupperware from cabinet.

Whine for sippy cup.

Throw the throw pillows from the couch to the floor.

Jump from couch onto pillows several times.

Take apart the Lego creation that 7yo brother spent hours on last night.

Pull laundry from bottom drawers, unfold and stomp on it.

Be insanely cute and happy while doing all of the above.

Pull DVDs from shelf.

Whine for sippy cup.

I like the bolded ones best! Although, pots and pans are more satisfyingly noisy than Tupperware.

What a hard-working boy! :D

I had no doubts they spanked from the very first special. In the 14K&PA episode, when they were going to the grocery store and leaving some of the kids behind 2 yr old (James?) was crying because he wanted to go. Michelle talked firmly to him, and he sucked it up mid-tantrum and went in the house. This is soooo NOT normal. There is NOTHING you can say to a tantruming 2 yr old to magically get them stop like that. I had no doubt then and I have no doubt now that the reason he stopped is that he had been regularly beaten and J'chelle reminded him that if he didn't stop, he'd be whipped or something. It was the fear of the punishment, not godly parenting, that stopped that tantrum.

I also think that older kids are "disciplined" with physical force also. Maybe not a beating, but they grab their arm/twist their arm or something as a physical reminder that they'd better STOP - or else. I noticed this on one of the episodes where JB & the boys went to some house to clean or paint or something - I think it was the one where one of the boys was there for the first time? Anyway one of the kids was goofing off and John David walked over to him pissed, and grabbed his arm/shoulder hard. The kid INSTANTLY complied. Then we saw something similar with Josiah in the #20 announcement. I think JB grabbed/twisted his arm/elbow as a way of getting him to comply. I think by the time they're big, just being grabbed is enough to keep them in line, but if not I'm sure things escalate from there.

Yeah, because twisting a teenager's arm will totally NOT lead to them fighting back, ever. Things do escalate from there. I'm not so sure about the Duggars, but things probably have escalated before, and will in the future.

Yeah, because twisting a teenager's arm will totally NOT lead to them fighting back, ever. Things do escalate from there. I'm not so sure about the Duggars, but things probably have escalated before, and will in the future.

I agree. Things like that do and will escalate. That kind of manhandling indicates a seriously broken relationship (though I believe any kind of corporal punishment and at any age is an indicator of a broken bond and of lack of ability to communicate), I totally see a physical confrontation between Dim Bulb and at least some of the boys, likely Josiah. Maybe even one of the older boys and a younger brother.

I wonder what story they'll make up when Josiah accidentally gets into a shot with a black eye or a twisted wrist, even when they're trying to keep the cameras away and edit him out.

I wonder what story they'll make up when Josiah accidentally gets into a shot with a black eye or a twisted wrist, even when they're trying to keep the cameras away and edit him out.

Sadly, I can see it easily being possible to film an episode and not show something like that, with a "cast" of 20+.

But man, I'd love it if something like that DID show up on screen.

I agree. Things like that do and will escalate. That kind of manhandling indicates a seriously broken relationship (though I believe any kind of corporal punishment and at any age is an indicator of a broken bond and of lack of ability to communicate), I totally see a physical confrontation between Dim Bulb and at least some of the boys, likely Josiah. Maybe even one of the older boys and a younger brother.

Probably something along the lines of "oh, boys will be boys, they're always rowdy." Or a construction accident where DIVINE INTERVENTION SAVED HIM FROM CERTAIN DEATH, and Josiah narrowly escaped with just a measly shiner/twisted wrist/bruise. And of course it will have happened when the TLC cameras weren't around. :roll:

I don't doubt the siblings have been into physical fights. And I don't doubt the kids have tried to 'resist training' a few times by fighting tooth and nail.

Makes me wonder about the whole 'modesty' thing too... :?

Well, they are throw pillows...! :lol:

Pull DVDs from shelf.

Whine for sippy cup.

he certainly has his jurisdictions down well.

Hi! New here, but long time lurker on the TWOP board. I just wanted to say that I fully believe that Jill is capable of spanking and otherwise punishing her kids..I mean her siblings. She is a die hard rule follower and I think that she probably believes everything her parents and Gothard tell her to. In the special where they went to Ireland, and specifically when they were about to make bread at the Irish Farm, Jill was holding Michael? or some other small child and there was a boy behind her (perhaps Jed or one of the similarly aged howlers) who was making faces at the baby and she swatted at him to get him to stop. It was quick, but I watched it back several times and she was definitely annoyed and on the verge of pissed with that boy and let him know.

This is painful to admit but growing up my parents weren't fundie but were abusive and I can't recall the number of times I was made to "discipline" my siblings. It hurts so much to think about.

Hi! New here, but long time lurker on the TWOP board. I just wanted to say that I fully believe that Jill is capable of spanking and otherwise punishing her kids..I mean her siblings. She is a die hard rule follower and I think that she probably believes everything her parents and Gothard tell her to. In the special where they went to Ireland, and specifically when they were about to make bread at the Irish Farm, Jill was holding Michael? or some other small child and there was a boy behind her (perhaps Jed or one of the similarly aged howlers) who was making faces at the baby and she swatted at him to get him to stop. It was quick, but I watched it back several times and she was definitely annoyed and on the verge of pissed with that boy and let him know.

I can see her doing it and then apologizing for it in private,behind mommy and daddys back. Something along the lines of "It hurts me more than it hurts you. It makes me sad to have to do this,but you know breaking the rules causes you to get punished. Please dont make me have to do it again. I love you and you know if I dont do it,mom or dad will,and it will hurt a lot more." with tears in her eyes the whole time. Thats how my mom was.

• 2 months later...
Jessa on both counts: trying to get Hannie to nap and say "Yes Maam", and trying to get Jordyn (a 1 yr old baby!) to quiet down aty the table and say "I'm sorry" while Jessa grabbed her chin.

Jessa doesn't have a maternal bone in her body, and I wouldn't be surprised if she remains childfree later on.

Do you have links for either of those?

They still link to the Pearls and call them family friendly!

http://www.duggarfamily.com/content/amazon_blitz

Screencapped it, just in case they ever decide to take it down.

33u96dz.jpg

That is actually from a sale that went on last summer -- if you look at the whole page, you'll see the dates.

Not that it matters -- I suspect they think NGJ is just ducky.

I think he's brilliant, putting the pillows onto the floor before he jumps off the couch. You are training up a smart kid.

Archived