IGNORED

For Those Wondering About the Duggars & Spanking

Jessica

I don't know why they avoid the big question of whether or not they spank. I just found this little gem from quiverfull.com:

The Duggars consider the Bible something of an owner's manual, a how-to for life. They sometimes employ "time outs" to discipline their children, but they also think the Bible teaches parents to spank and even instructs on how to do it.

quiverfull.com/articles.php/id20/

And from their website circa 2005:

Tip-With 6 little boys age 5 and under we’ve enjoyed much more peace, harmony, & order in our home since a friend shared with us about ‘blanket time’. We began this training four years ago, when our second set of twins were 17 months old. They started learning self-control & obedience by sitting quietly on a blanket playing with a few toys. The key words are ‘sit’ & ‘quiet’! At first, we practiced 5 minutes, 2-3 times a day, & worked up to 10-20 minutes at a time. This one tip has changed the atmosphere of our home tremendously. We don’t have little ones tearing up the house as often & getting into things while we are busy. Occasionally, we still have those moments, but over all the little ones are content. This frees us to be able to accomplish more in our day! We have since, transferred this training to other areas, such as sitting during worship services, shopping trips & when visiting with company…etc. It’s teaching them responsibility (knowing & doing what both God & others are expecting of them) at an early age.

http://web.archive.org/web/200507060601 ... m/faq.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that they do spank and that the plumbing line is hidden from the camera. I just hope that the J'slaves do not have to disipline.

I believe that they do spank and that the plumbing line is hidden from the camera. I just hope that the J'slaves do not have to disipline.

I think J'Slaves do discipline when cameras aren't around. There was an episode in which one of the girls had problems getting Johanna or Jennifer to take a nap and I got the feeling that if the cameras weren't around a spanking would have happened.

Their website used to promote the Pearls. Notice how the website now leaves everything like this off to it. Clearly it's to avoid more controversy and maybe even child abuse charges.

Their website used to promote the Pearls. Notice how the website now leaves everything like this off to it. Clearly it's to avoid more controversy and maybe even child abuse charges.

I just love that as they've gotten more mainstream in the past few years, the show gained popularity, certain things have just disappeared, like the QF bible quote on their website, info on the pearls, even one of the girls saying "we have very conservative values" in the opening of the show. All mysteriously gone.....

If they came out and said they were hardcore bible believin', fellowshippin, spankin, prayer closetin, SAHDin, patriarcin crazy fundies, I think the public may have had a bit of a different perception of them....

Is there a screen cap or link of the former website where they promoted the Pearls?

These captures include tons of conservative/fundie Christian jargon and links, but nothing pertaining specifically to the Pearls or NGJM.

February 12, 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/200501111732 ... amily.com/

July 07, 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/200507070144 ... amily.com/

October 24, 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/200510240253 ... amily.com/

If anyone has a time frame for the Pearl reference, it would make searching the archive a lot easier.

Yeah I've been searching and I can't find anything related to the Pearls.

(as an aside, I love the icon GryffindorFTW. I use it as my MSN picture sometimes)

i think kids need to be able to occupy themselves for a while, with a drawing book, toy, picture book or whatever.

Apparently I could do so at 1.5 years without ever having been blanked trained.

One thing I find kind of funny is in England, 'spanking' is an exclusively sexual term :lol: When we mean disciplining children, the word is 'smacking'.

I think J'Slaves do discipline when cameras aren't around. There was an episode in which one of the girls had problems getting Johanna or Jennifer to take a nap and I got the feeling that if the cameras weren't around a spanking would have happened.

My father is one of 13 and he was in charge of disciplines for all the younger ones (he was 3rd oldest). He hated being in such a large family. It would not surprise me in the least bit if they spanked their younger siblings.

Given the rowdiness of the howler monkeys and the way jennifer and Jordyn wander aimless, I think there is little in the way of consistent discipline. It seems that, mostly, the younger ones are ignored.

Given the rowdiness of the howler monkeys and the way jennifer and Jordyn wander aimless, I think there is little in the way of consistent discipline. It seems that, mostly, the younger ones are ignored.

I think it's more likely that the quiet, unobtrusive ones are ignored as they constantly try and control the rowdiest howler monkeys.

Jennifer seems like a shy child who needs a lot of one-on-one time, reassurance and consistency to feel 'safe'. None of which she'll get in the Duggar household.

i think kids need to be able to occupy themselves for a while, with a drawing book, toy, picture book or whatever.

Apparently I could do so at 1.5 years without ever having been blanked trained.

Children under 2-3 years old have no impulse control. The best way to keep them out of trouble is to redirect and distract them (like with a toy). Too bad people who do blanket training can't wrap their heads around this concept.

I wish people would use the term "smacking" in North America. That's what it is, and I think more people would be against it if we didn't call it something else.

I think they spank, ahem, smack their kids. In their first book Michelle repeatedly refers to "training" the children. The plumbing line is probably kept in the prayer closet, one of the few places in the house not shown on television.

I wish people would use the term "smacking" in North America. That's what it is, and I think more people would be against it if we didn't call it something else.

I think we should call it "hitting", because that's what it is. You're hitting someone smaller and younger than you to make them do what you want. (And how do you react when your child does that to a younger sibling..?)

A young child is small and has delicate skin so it doesn't take much force to cause a reasonable amount of pain -- enough to "correct" them. If you hit an adult to cause an equivalent amount of pain, would it be assault? Yes. Because hitting someone with the intent to cause pain is an assault.

The fact that the person is small and young and dependent on you isn't a mitigating factor. It just makes it more reprehensible.

It breaks my heart to think that the older girls are being taught/indocterinated/forced to disclipline the younger ones.

It breaks my heart to think that the older girls are being taught/indocterinated/forced to disclipline the younger ones.

I'm pretty sure Joseph on up got spanked when Michelle actually did the mothering. I think once the older girls were old enough to raise the children the spanking stopped. I honestly can't see Jill or Jana hitting the little kids.

Jessa was pretty strict with Johanna when she didn't want to take her nap, but I don't think Jessa would use any actual force.

I totally think Jessa would, but probably not Jill. Jill wants to obey her parents, but she just seems too gentle to follow through with hitting. Jana would, she'll do anything J'Chelle says/delegates without a second thought.

Sickening.

I think we should call it "hitting", because that's what it is. You're hitting someone smaller and younger than you to make them do what you want. (And how do you react when your child does that to a younger sibling..?)

A young child is small and has delicate skin so it doesn't take much force to cause a reasonable amount of pain -- enough to "correct" them. If you hit an adult to cause an equivalent amount of pain, would it be assault? Yes. Because hitting someone with the intent to cause pain is an assault.

The fact that the person is small and young and dependent on you isn't a mitigating factor. It just makes it more reprehensible.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you're talking about "Duggars, Doctors, Discipline," it's Jinger who puts the kids down for a nap and has to get Johannah to cooperate.

I don't see any of the J'slaves spanking, myself. I have the feeling that JB and the J'uterus don't let them spank, but do everything else. If a kid "needs" a spanking, they go to JB or the J'uterus.

What pissed me off about that episode? It was Jinger putting the kids down for a nap (and Jessa, I think) but JB was playing on the fucking computer. Put your own damn kids down for a nap, asshole.

• 4 weeks later...
If you're talking about "Duggars, Doctors, Discipline," it's Jinger who puts the kids down for a nap and has to get Johannah to cooperate.

I don't see any of the J'slaves spanking, myself. I have the feeling that JB and the J'uterus don't let them spank, but do everything else. If a kid "needs" a spanking, they go to JB or the J'uterus.

What pissed me off about that episode? It was Jinger putting the kids down for a nap (and Jessa, I think) but JB was playing on the fucking computer. Put your own damn kids down for a nap, asshole.

The first video from the epi you referred to above shows the Jessa/Jinger putting them down for a nap.

Was this the same epi when Jessa(?) or JInger grabbed one of the little girl's mouths? I thought that happened at the dinner table.

Edited for riffle.

Jessa on both counts: trying to get Hannie to nap and say "Yes Maam", and trying to get Jordyn (a 1 yr old baby!) to quiet down aty the table and say "I'm sorry" while Jessa grabbed her chin.

Jessa doesn't have a maternal bone in her body, and I wouldn't be surprised if she remains childfree later on.

Jessa on both counts: trying to get Hannie to nap and say "Yes Maam", and trying to get Jordyn (a 1 yr old baby!) to quiet down aty the table and say "I'm sorry" while Jessa grabbed her chin.

Jessa doesn't have a maternal bone in her body, and I wouldn't be surprised if she remains childfree later on.

Is that in the same episode?

Archived