IGNORED

New Pearl reviews on Amazon

thoughtful

I have no idea if someone who knows nothing of the controversy and is browsing reviews for a good book on raising children would be swayed by their praise or our condemnation (although I hope we have an impact).

I think that if someone is actually educated enough to be reading reviews, they have a chance of being swayed. I think that the type of person who defends/supports the Pearls wholeheartedly is far too close-minded to ever give any of the one-star reviews a good reading in the first place.

I do it for my heart too, but if even one parent is dissuaded from this book by looking at the reviews, it's been worth it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if someone is actually educated enough to be reading reviews, they have a chance of being swayed. I think that the type of person who defends/supports the Pearls wholeheartedly is far too close-minded to ever give any of the one-star reviews a good reading in the first place.

I do it for my heart too, but if even one parent is dissuaded from this book by looking at the reviews, it's been worth it.

Thanks -- I needed that.

Part of what aggravates me is that many of the glowing reviews are pretty well-written. I celebrate whenever I see one that reeks of SOTDRT or sounds like a raving maniac. But most have the chance of sounding reasonable and loving, to an un-knowing reader.

So I'll keep on keeping on . . .

I tried to leave a second review outlining just how we feel about Pearl's fishing for positive reviews to the tune of almost 500 in two days. I had my son open an Amazon account but he has to buy something first. So much for my one and only venture into sock puppeteering.

I guess the reviews are real and it goes to show how many idiotsI mean supporters Pearl has. It makes me feel for their children. I almost want to google the sickest most sadistic reviewers and report them to CPS if I find any dirt but alas I'm not that much of a cyberstalker.

I did get to see some of the new negative reviews which I'm sure were written by my fellow Free Jingerites. The one about the Amish abusing animals rings true. It really bothers me how much children AND animals are abused by people who are supposed to be devout.

"Me myself and I" and "Independent Thinker" are kicking butt over at Amazon. I am hoping they are FJ-erites. They call Pearl out on the many recent reviews (has even quoted his plea) and are everywhere in the comments sections. Yay!

Thanks to those of you who gave bad reviews to Babywise. In my educated, progressive little slice of the world I've never run across anyone personally who has ever read the Pearls. I have, however, twice, encountered Babywise "parents" spouting off nonsense about how infants only cry to manipulate you and how babies want to "rule the household" but responsible parents are obligated to wrest control back from them. At the time, my sweet girl wasn't even a twinkle in our eyes and I hadn't started looking into the scientific evidence regarding child development, so I didn't have an answer to them, but it just seemed... horrible on an intuitive level. To as lesser degree, I'm also kind of sickened by the "Ferberizers". Be a parent or don't. Don't have a kid and then justify to yourself why your 3-month-old is sobbing all night in bed while you have a glass of wine and watch Dexter, because those people who, y'know actually parent, are just raising spoiled monsters.

The site that had TTUAC, in full, online, has taken it down.

Apparently, people were actually reading it and realizing how awful it is. :roll:

achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

ETA - or maybe MP was pissed that it was cutting into his profits!

I have a crazy idea, since they feature the best of the positives, and negative reviews, is there any way to pick a real winner from the completely illegible, best of SODRT teachings for a group onslaught of positive ratings? I mean if the first post some one see's is completely ridiculous it could help people take a better look at the negatives.

The site that had TTUAC, in full, online, has taken it down.

Apparently, people were actually reading it and realizing how awful it is. :roll:

achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

ETA - or maybe MP was pissed that it was cutting into his profits!

Looks like the website owner took it down & posted this comment:

I recommended this book (To Train Up A Child) for years -- never advocating what many naysayers conclude after *hearing* about or lifting out of context sections of this book. I personally read this book as I do all other things I read: I read it, weighed it for it's validity, accuracy or usefulness and then, simply applied to our life the things that were of value -- our methods and applications were then personally designed (as we were *already* training and disciplining children. I do not now, will not in the future and NEVER have in the past advocated beating, whipping, abusing children. There is a giant leap from where I stand (and what's been *assumed* about the book TTUAC) and child abuse.... but somehow my well intentioned inclusion/recommendation of this book has had disastrous ramifications and for this I am sorry (and, frankly, weary of the ignorant hate mail recently) and thus have removed the content (the text of the book) from this page for this reason alone.

You can read the whole thing at the original link for TTUAC.

You can read the whole thing at the original link for TTUAC.

Where is that? I never found the whole thing anywhere else online.

Thanks to those of you who gave bad reviews to Babywise. In my educated, progressive little slice of the world I've never run across anyone personally who has ever read the Pearls. I have, however, twice, encountered Babywise "parents" spouting off nonsense about how infants only cry to manipulate you and how babies want to "rule the household" but responsible parents are obligated to wrest control back from them...

This is also my experience. I only "know" Pearl followers from the internet (and even that is quite unfortunate, and not good for my BP).

I run into more Ezzo/Babywise followers than I ever thought. A very close friend has her only grandchild being raised "Babywise", and it grieves her greatly, and has already caused a lot of problems.

Maybe it's just where I live, I don't know. There are a lot of Ezzo supporters in rather mainstream church groups around here. I'm ashamed to say that at one time, I was partially taken in by the Ezzos' stuff on older kids. (I did always say that their own family couldn't possibly be as perfect as they claimed in their videos). This was before they ever wrote Babywise. It was also before their own daughters grew up and totally separated themselves from their parents. Thank God (not said lightly) I was ALWAYS into common sense and LOVING my kids, so I guess I never actually "followed" their teachings, and my kids are now great adults.

I only "know" Pearl followers from the internet (and even that is quite unfortunate, and not good for my BP).

I run into more Ezzo/Babywise followers than I ever thought. A very close friend has her only grandchild being raised "Babywise", and it grieves her greatly, and has already caused a lot of problems.

Maybe it's just where I live, I don't know.

I see Ezzo and Dobson stuff in the thrift stores sometimes (and buy them to tear up and put in the recycling!), but have never seen any of the other crazy child-rearing books.

Where is that? I never found the whole thing anywhere else online.

Sorry. I was unclear. "The whole thing' refers to the website owner's statement on why s/he pulled the free, online version of TTUAC from her website: achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

The statement is at the link that formerly led to TTUAC.

Sorry. I was unclear. "The whole thing' refers to the website owner's statement on why s/he pulled the free, online version of TTUAC from her website: achristianhome.org/to_train_up_a_child.htm

The statement is at the link that formerly led to TTUAC.

Ah -- I thought you meant the whole book.

Not totally on topic, but one of my husband's cousins definitely follows TTUAC. I've met her twice, and my husband's not close to her at all. I am very worried for her children, but I'm not sure what I could do to actually get through to her. She's very unstable right now. She used to be super fundie, but after her baby died a few years ago she's done a 180 in the other direction. Now she's out of control and cheating on her husband and partying all the time, but she still uses TTUAC on the children. What would you do in this situation?

Not totally on topic, but one of my husband's cousins definitely follows TTUAC. I've met her twice, and my husband's not close to her at all. I am very worried for her children, but I'm not sure what I could do to actually get through to her. She's very unstable right now. She used to be super fundie, but after her baby died a few years ago she's done a 180 in the other direction. Now she's out of control and cheating on her husband and partying all the time, but she still uses TTUAC on the children. What would you do in this situation?

Call CPS.

I don't have any knowledge of any particular situation other than that she is using the books. Would I just say something like "I am concerned that her dicipline techinque is abusive"?

Reviving this thread because there seems to be a new influx today.

Did the Pearls send out another plea, or just make up a bunch of accounts and buy one thing from each?

:roll:

Off to read and try to discourage people from buying that piece of filth . . .

Reviving this thread because there seems to be a new influx today.

Did the Pearls send out another plea, or just make up a bunch of accounts and buy one thing from each?

:roll:

Off to read and try to discourage people from buying that piece of filth . . .

He's on Anderson Cooper again on friday so I'm guessing theyre expecting a lot of people googling the book. I assume theyre trying to prop the book up on amazon.

He's on Anderson Cooper again on friday so I'm guessing theyre expecting a lot of people googling the book. I assume theyre trying to prop the book up on amazon.

Oh, I know. But I check every day, and there has been very little for over a week -- in the last few hours, pages and pages have sprung up again. Very fast, very sudden.

I'm just wondering how/where they found the extra bunch of people, who hadn't posted before.

If they are, indeed, new people.

Wonder if Amazon checks for sockpuppets.

Found the reason for the new influx, on the NGJ Facebook page:

facebook.com/NoGreaterJoyMinistries

Dear NGJ Supporters,

The child training controversy surrounding NGJ, the Pearls, and To Train Up a Child continues to make headlines.

Mike has recorded a segment for Anderson Cooper's daytime talk show which is scheduled to air this Friday December 2nd. Go to the Anderson Cooper Website and click "show info" for information on which station and time it airs in your area. Mike is also scheduled to record a segment on Thursday afternoon for NBC's Today Show to air on Friday morning December 2nd (unless he is bumped by breaking news). Check your local listings for the station and time it airs in your area. After viewing, you can leave your comments on their respective websites and honestly respond if they do a survey.

Attacks and misinformation about To Train Up a Child are all over the web. Mike agreed to these interviews to counter the falsehoods by presenting the truth about the ministry and our materials. Please pray that his appeals to truth, wisdom and reason will prevail over the lies and deception surrounding this emotionally charged issue.

The enemeies of the truth continue their coordinated attacks and efforts to have To Train Up a Child (and other NGJ materials) removed from Amazon and other sales outlets. We remain confident that Amazon will not capitulate to the strong-arm tactics of these book burning thugs. People that have never read the book are putting up negative reviews on Amazon. It seems the more negative press we receive, the more copies we sell.

Please show your support for the truth and freedom of speech by supporting Amazon and other outlets that refuse to be bullied. If you have read To Train Up a Child, you may want to post your own honest review on Amazon.

Thank you for your support and we hope that you enjoy Mike's interviews.

Your friends at NGJ!

Well, isn't that special?

Archived