IGNORED

New Pearl reviews on Amazon

thoughtful

I check the reviews of TTUAC on Amazon now and then. For a long time, most of the new ones were all one-star ratings and reviews decrying the book.

Today, a bunch of new 5-star, glowing reviews have appeared.

If anyone's in a thumbs-downing (or thumbs upping, for the well-written "anti" reviews) and/or commenting mood, come on over:

http://www.amazon.com/Train-Up-Child-Mi ... Descending

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect its in response to all the negative press they've gotten lately - Anderson, Dr Drew, ect.

I suspect its in response to all the negative press they've gotten lately - Anderson, Dr Drew, ect.

The negative press has been going on for a few weeks -- these (and there appear to be dozens and dozens!) just appeared today.

So it may be a concerted effort by some group.

It really surprises me that nancy grace hasnt sucked onto this and DEMANDED that the book be pulled. This type of stuff is what she loves! Right now she's got a new case just starting and some people to call names. Its perfect. NANCY... now that you've been kicked off dancing with the (D list) stars come out come out wherever you are!

It must be some sort of group effort because there are at least 13 pages of reviews done on Nov 9 and 10. I haven't' gotten past page 13, but most of the pages have no, or only one negative review and the rest are nauseatingly glowing

It must be some sort of group effort because there are at least 13 pages of reviews done on Nov 9 and 10. I haven't' gotten past page 13, but most of the pages have no, or only one negative review and the rest are nauseatingly glowing

And most of the recent positive reviews have lots of "found this helpful" ratings. The few new negative reviews that have slipped in have unpleasant comments after them.

ETA -- I'm on page 26! They are endless!

E(again) TA -- 29 pages of new reviews -- where did they find them all?

From the most recent review:

Most parents "raise" their children, they do not "train". I raise chickens, I need to train my children.

Great.

Now, besides the wordplay with spank/whip/switch/chastise, these people think that "raising" is only done with animals and "training" is done with children.

What a lovely green sky and blue grass I see outside my window.

Words mean things, folks -- yes, language can be fluid, but making up your own rules doesn't change the fact that Michael Pearl encourages people to cause physical pain for no real reason.

Not in the reviews, but in the discussions (I think this person drank the spiked Kool-Aide -- of maybe she's just been asleep since the 1980s):

The Pearls are no more responsible for child abuse than an author of a book about becoming a Nazi or witch! Why aren't we grilling those people who ceremoniously slay children in their rituals like witches, high level Masons, and the like???

:shock:

http://www.amazon.com/Abuse/forum/Fx2ZV ... 1892112000

The source of the influx - from the NGJ Facebook page:

As you may be aware, NGJ is in the midst of a controversy as the result of a recent article in the New York Times and the subsequent articles and blogs that are using that article as a base, much of which is taken out of context and adding their own inflammatory rhetoric.

The opponents of the tradional, biblical, child training philosophy presented by NGJ are rallying an orchestrated attack to discredit the Pearls and our Ministry. This includes petitioning sales outlets such as Amazon to discontinue selling To Train Up a Child and all other NGJ material. Another tactic is to fill the book review pages on Amazon with negative 1 star reviews and hateful comments. We trust God's protection but also recognize our responsibility to properly respond and make these circumstances known to our supporters.

The time, energy and expense of this set of circumstances are a burden to our staff that is robbing us of the time and resources needed to operate the ministry. We greatly appreciate all the notes and emails of encouragement that have been received and covet your prayers and support during these difficult times.

You can assist us by making your voice heard. Share your beliefs and leave a comment to all the online articles that you read. You can also go to the To Train Up a Child page on Amazon and leave your own review and rate the other comments by checking "Yes" for the positive reviews and "No" for the negative reviews. You may also make your own comments in response to other reviews. Click "Create your own review" (located after the last review on the page) to rate To Train Up a Child and add your own review.

We covet your prayers and support and trust that God will be glorified through all of this.

Sincerely,

Mike and Debi

facebook.com/NoGreaterJoyMinistries

Not just facebook, NGJ also sent out a big email blast asking people to give them positive reviews, "thumbs up" positive reviews, and "thumbs down" negative reviews.

I went and gave the new positive reviews a thumbs-down. Did anyone see the one where the parent says their pediatrician gave it to them?

Not likely.

I went and gave the new positive reviews a thumbs-down. Did anyone see the one where the parent says their pediatrician gave it to them?

Not likely.

Ditto

Not likely.

unless it was the dugger's pediatrician. I am sure there are fundy pediatrician's out there.

I had five minutes this afternoon while on hold & whipped through 15 pages of reviews, giving a NO to anything above 1 star.

As revolted as I was by the Pearls' FB posting, this sentence was a plus: "The time, energy and expense of this set of circumstances are a burden to our staff that is robbing us of the time and resources needed to operate the ministry."

If they keep up their loathsome "teachings" they'll be spending even more to lawyer up one of these days.

[Edited for riffles]

So the Pearls "covet" our prayers. I thought covetousness was a sin.

I noticed that, too. I guess, since it's not actually listed in the commandment, it's OK.

Prayers, yes. Ox, no. Got it.

Ok, that was 30 pages of voting down/up. With the occasional comment to let people know that a millstone would be delivered to them soon. (Matthew 18:6: But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.)

that is creepy to me. creepy that they'd spam to ask for good reviews in the name of jay-zus, and that they mobilized so many people so quickly.

i was also gonna comment on covet. i don't think they're using the word correctly.

off to do my bit at amazon.

Archived