IGNORED

Witnessing to the Culture

FlorenceHamilton

"I do not think the Duggars are exploiting their children the way Jon and Kate exploited their children. The Duggars are clearing doing the reality show for one reason and one reason only: To witness to the culture. Everyone who has blogs of their own or are on Facebook are opening up about their own families. Online we talk publicly about our children, have our children’s photos on our blogs, etc. We live in a much more open society than a generation ago. I think the Duggars feel they have a mission and television is missionary territory. I love their show and applaud their family."

This is a comment from Faith and Family Live website. THIS is why so many of us find them offensive. They are putting on a circus for our consumption using their own children as headliners. They are the equivalent of PT Barnum. He said that there was a sucker born every day. The general public cannot see that this is the game. It is not so shocking that so many people followed Jim Jones to Guyana. They also looked shiny and happy on the outside. The work was hard, but evenly distributed. Roles were clearly defined. The members and their children were well nourished and resonably kept. Isn't this a modern version of the same? Do so many people really think that just believing with all of your might makes it so?

Winessing to the culture??? I am not buying.

What are they witnessing exactly?

I used to be a Duggar fan, kind of. When they just had the specials, I thought they were quaint and sweet and harmless. I have a large family and I know many other large families that take awesome care of their kids.

From watching their show over a few years, I came to the conclusion that they are reckless in their disregard for their children. The lack of concern for their education, socialization and well-being is astounding. That is what they are witnessing to me: that Quiverfull parents care more about quantity than quality. I no longer assume that people who have large families do so because they love children.

It's like Animal Hoarding, but with people. They don;t see their lack of provision and care for the individual; they see themsleves as great martyrs with a larger calling.

In other words, self-absorbed and mentally ill.

Witnessing is just a bit nicer of a word for proselytizing, which is the same exact thing.

Which is one of the things that really bugs me about the Duggars, they keep saying "well it's not for everyone" but fully admit they want to encourage people with their family. In other words "we don't want to piss you all off by saying you're wrong and we're right but... You are wrong and we are right."

Which is one of the things that really bugs me about the Duggars, they keep saying "well it's not for everyone" but fully admit they want to encourage people with their family. In other words "we don't want to piss you all off by saying you're wrong and we're right but... You are wrong and we are right."

boy you hit that one on the head.

Passive witnessing is something that I've heard encouraged in many churches. The idea is that the Christian is responsible for how others view their faith. That means that the inviduals should act in a way that makes others want to learn more about Christianity. I've had Christian friends tell me that they were careful to show happiness and joy because they didn't want to discourage a potential convert. The interesting aspect of this form of evangelism is that the person is doesn't really risk offending anyone. I find it underhanded, to be honest.

The Duggars attempt to show a positive, happy family so that they can win people to their faith, but some people confuse their act with reality.

Oh god, "witnessing." I never thought I'd hear that word outside of church again, and I've even spent months on FJ now. It's an evangelical buzzword, its actual meaning has been hijacked.

And debrand, I was taught to appear happy to win souls over to Christ, and do subtle things like crack out a Bible during lunch at school one day. I really don't see how that's supposed to work without ever mentioning Jesus.

The Duggars do make certain that their Christianity is given credit for the perfection they radiate to their audience. I think they are truly doing their part to sway the American masses (most of whom are at least nominally Christian) into a a more conservative practice.

Especially now that we are enduring some hard times economically, people are looking for relief. The Duggars are very politically active. I believe that several posters who live in Arkansas met various members of the family who were going door to door to push their candidates. The Duggars are being paid handsomely to paint this rosy picture of their lifestyle to attract the masses to this kind of life. By extension, the power brokers behind them will be increasing their base.

I am not certain that the Duggar family would be comfortable with the fact that they are "witnessing" to the culture becoming common knowledge. Their role is supposed to be subtle.

From watching their show over a few years, I came to the conclusion that they are reckless in their disregard for their children. The lack of concern for their education, socialization and well-being is astounding. That is what they are witnessing to me: that Quiverfull parents care more about quantity than quality. I no longer assume that people who have large families do so because they love children.

This......

Archived