IGNORED

Looks like Miss Raquel is going to train her own horse.

formergothardite

Poor horse stuck with someone so silly.

http://god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/2011/ ... night.html

She wrote:

"He is doing SUCH a good job with things I've been teaching him lately"

The wise horse loving Free Jingerians informed me on the other thread that with a young horse like this, it is a horrible idea to have someone with no knowledge of training horses try and train him. I so hope this doesn't end badly for either her or the horse. I'm hoping that God will get it together and pay for a real horse trainer.

I don't know much about horse training, but there is so much that can go wrong when a young, untrained horse is put into the hands of someone who is just as young and untrained. I hope that someone with a lick of sense takes over.

Someone I know, who was at a respected riding school with a well trained horse, was thrown when it was spooked and it's rear hoof smashed into her face. She ended up having to have her nose reconstructed through plastic surgery, though thankfully she looks totally normal now.

Horses are really dangerous animals.

--

Is it me (I know very little about them) or does her horse have weirdly short legs?

Someone I know, who was at a respected riding school with a well trained horse, was thrown when it was spooked and it's rear hoof smashed into her face. She ended up having to have her nose reconstructed through plastic surgery, though thankfully she looks totally normal now.

--

Is it me (I know very little about them) or does her horse have weirdly short legs?

Is your friend okay now? Horses are dangerous, but I get the feeling that Miss Raquel sees it as a giant puppy. Once she gets thrown the first few times, maybe her view will change. He looks like he's on the small side, so maybe that's why his legs look short?

--

It looks like it, but that's just the angle from which the photo is taken. I think he's sort of banking (like a race car) as he goes around the pen.

Is your friend okay now? Horses are dangerous, but I get the feeling that Miss Raquel sees it as a giant puppy. Once she gets thrown the first few times, maybe her view will change. He looks like he's on the small side, so maybe that's why his legs look short?

Yeah, as I said, she's fine. It was a very lucky escape, though. I think if the horse had kicked her forehead she would have ended up dead or severely brain damaged.

Oh poo you guys are gonna make me look. I have a horse and have been riding for many years. In fact I am headed to the barn at the moment so I will have to read this insanity later and in the mean time I hope she does not get hurt. :shock:

Horses are wonderful animals and can be very gentle and loving. That being said, they can also be very dangerous. Just because a horse is sweet doesn't mean it can't still be unpredictable. A lot of people seem to forget that any animal can be unpredictable at any time and precautions should always be taken. It is downright stupid to try to train a horse (especially a 2 year old that from what I can tell is a thouroughbred - nothing against the breed but they were orignally bred for racing and can be a bit high-strung at times) when you have so little experience. No one should be training a horse unless they have several years of riding experience and have been taught how to properly train. What she is doing is unsafe and could potentially create a problem horse that may become confused and agitated from not knowing what its rider is asking of it. (I hope that makes sense.)

Daenerys I am glad your friend is ok. Defrauded what kind of horse do you have? I used to have a quarter horse but, alas, I couldn't afford to keep boarding her and go to school plus work full time to pay for her care so I had to find her a new home (she went to a wonderful family!). It's been 10 years and I still miss her like crazy.

Knowing next to nothing about horses even I know it takes a very experienced horse person to train a horse. I hope she doesn't learn this the hard way and end up in the hospital or morgue

Boomer he is an 11yo Oldenburg. I had several OTT TB's as a kid but learned to ride on QHs. I started out as a H/J but now I am old and creeky and ride a little dressage. I really hope this child has a good helmet and will wear it. ( I would even suggest her wearing it on the ground around the youngster while doing round pen/ground work) One of our Olympians Courtney King-Dye is a year+ into recovery from a fall where she did not have a helmet on. Just last month my trainer took a fall off her horse and it broke the shell of her helmet her head hit so hard! I always wear my helmet but then there is the rest of me that does not bounce like I used too that is still subject to being a lawn dart. LOL

Defrauded I am with you on the helmet thing. I always refused to ride without one. I didn't start riding until I was 18 and my fourth lesson the horse I was on took off. My right foot slipped out of the stirrup and I flew sideways off the horse into a fence. Had I not had a helmet on, I probably would have had a concussion. It's been several years since I have ridden but I always rode Western (although I did take a few saddleseat lessons since the owners of the place I boarded had saddlebreds.) I'm big chicken and was always to scared to attempt jumping. I don't know much about oldenburgs so I had to look them up. What beautiful horses! Happy riding :)

My grandmother had a small farm, with quarter horses for work and Arabians for show. For a while, she even bred Arabians because one of her horses was locally famous and people wanted the colts. Despite decades of experience, she always paid a trainer to come in and work with the horses, although I don't know if this was just the dressage horses or what. In my experience, the horses received better care than the children or grandchildren, but they also worked a lot harder than we did.

My great aunt was thrown off a horse as a young adult (and she grew up on a farm and rode horses since she was little) and was both severely physically and mentally damaged. She was never normal again. You don't mess around with things like that.

Ditto on the riding with a helmet. My two dimwits are as sweet and bombproof as can be, but animals are unpredictable, accidents happen, they tend to happen very quickly and when you're working with animals that weigh over a ton, to not protect yourself is freaking stupid.

Going to agree with all of the above, especially the safety parts. Lord knows it was safety precautions that kept me from getting seriously hurt or killed when I was riding, and most of the horses I rode were the sweetest you could ever imagine, they were still huge animals with an ability to cause serious damage unintentionally (or intentionally depending on the situation).

I can't believe she is trying to train a horse for all the reasons why everyone has stated before me. Horses are huge and as a wee toddler I saw a trained horse spook and throw his rider before stomping his rider to death. I was only 10 feet awy from all of this and it so scared me that I have a phobia of even being near a horse. I can't even walk down one side of the street with a horse being on the other side without looking for my get away plan. :cry:

So if horses are this powerfull why is she tempting fate? If every dog breed on the planet has killed including pugs then why does she think horses would be any different. Pugs are on banned lists for being killers in some cities(why I don't know as they have round pearls for teeth, so it must of been the butt gas.) and everyone knows that pugs are angel babies and can not throw you off and stomp you to death. So why is she doing this? Heck, even cutie-patootie kittens are dangerous if wearing shorts and I wouldn't trust this girl to train a kitten let alone a horse.

I am going to go pound my head against my desk and then take my killer pugs off of my feet and go take a nap with them. Hopefully the peaceful snoring of my killers will help me forget this whole mess. :pray:

I can't believe she is trying to train a horse for all the reasons why everyone has stated before me. Horses are huge and as a wee toddler I saw a trained horse spook and throw his rider before stomping his rider to death. I was only 10 feet awy from all of this and it so scared me that I have a phobia of even being near a horse. I can't even walk down one side of the street with a horse being on the other side without looking for my get away plan. :cry:

So if horses are this powerfull why is she tempting fate? If every dog breed on the planet has killed including pugs then why does she think horses would be any different. Pugs are on banned lists for being killers in some cities(why I don't know as they have round pearls for teeth, so it must of been the butt gas.) and everyone knows that pugs are angel babies and can not throw you off and stomp you to death. So why is she doing this? Heck, even cutie-patootie kittens are dangerous if wearing shorts and I wouldn't trust this girl to train a kitten let alone a horse.

I am going to go pound my head against my desk and then take my killer pugs off of my feet and go take a nap with them. Hopefully the peaceful snoring of my killers will help me forget this whole mess. :pray:

Some people are very ignorant when it comes to owning, caring for and training animals. I've never owned a horse, but they are big animals and I know that they can be dangerous. I know a lot of people who get dogs, powerful breeds for whatever reason and don't know what to do. I was bit by my neighbor's German Shephard's when I was about 7. The dog in question had bitten more than a dozen people and killed two small dogs. They were ordered to keep it in or have it put down. The same goes for other powerful breeds or even little dogs (chihuahuas) where people don't think about what they are getting into into and just think "aww, look how cute" or "I want a dog for protection." Any domesticed animal requires resources and good training.

@ dairyfreelife, I concur and I was teasing about my pugs. I was trying to point out that any animal such as a seemingly harmless pug has killed then a powerful creature such as a horse one needs to very respectful and careful around. I hope she goes to some horse training school type thing so she can get the training she more than her horse needs.

I am still BLOWN AWAY by how God matched him and I together so perfectly.

And yet if the horse injures her she won't blame God for getting it wrong. Win/win for God!

My friend's little sister died while training a horse. She wasn't new to horses to, infact she was very familiar with them and was around them for most of her life. Raquel, if you lurk here, please PLEASE find a professional to train your horse. I'd hate to see anyone get hurt.

So how quickly do you think this will fill up?

BAD OWNER BINGO, DAUGHTERS OF FUNDAMENTALISM EDITION

1. I LOVE MY HORSE TOO MUCH TO LET IT DIE WITH DIGNITY

2. VETS ARE EVIL--THEY TELL UNPLEASANT TRUTHS

3. WATCHING SOME VIDEOS MAKES ME A HORSE TRAINER

4. MY HORSE WUVS ME TOO MUCH TO PANIC AND HURT ME

5. VETS ARE EVIL--THEY WON'T WORK FOR FREE

6. HANDLING A DOG MAKES ME A HORSE TRAINER

7. BABYSITTING KIDS MAKES ME A HORSE TRAINER

8. CAN'T RIDE, CAN'T JUMP, CAN'T TRAILER, WON'T LEARN

9. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT MY HORSE'S FEET

10. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A HORSE IN PAIN LOOKS LIKE

11. I LANDSCAPE WITH SHARP-EDGED JUNK

12. I CAN DRESS MYSELF, BUT I CAN'T TACK UP MY HORSE

13. HORSES DON'T NEED THAT MUCH CLEAN WATER

14. HORSES ARE LIKE ATVS: RIDE, PARK, IGNORE, REPEAT

15. I HAD NO IDEA THEY COULD EAT THEMSELVES SICK

16. PADDOCK, PIGSTY, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE

17. IF THEY'RE EATING IT, IT MUST BE THE RIGHT FOOD

18. IT'S OK FOR MY HORSE TO BE SKINNY BECAUSE . . .

19. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A WORMY HORSE LOOKS LIKE

20. I CAN AFFORD BOOKS AND CRAFT SUPPLIES, BUT NOT HAY

21. BAD BAD HORSIE, WHY WON'T YOU JUST DO WHAT I WANT

22. I "OWN" A HORSE I CAN'T EVEN CATCH

23. I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH MY HORSE--IF IT FEELS LIKE IT

24. I RUINED THIS ONE, NEXT HORSE PLEASE

25. ONLY I LOVE MY STARVING, WORMY HORSES (HOARDER ALERT)

I've been lurking around here for a bit, but this particular topic brought me out of hiding. This girl makes me want to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs, I sent her a comment on her blog post (I tried to be nice), I doubt it ever makes it past her as she probably considers anything that doesn't agree with how she's feeling at the moment to be ungodly. Basically, reiterating what everyone here has mentioned. Also, mentioned how long will it be till the new wears off and her horse who probably hasn't been fed, vetted, houses, cared for properly is either dying or removed (hopefully) by animal control.

I just don't see this story having a happy ending, not that if it didn't we would hear about it. This chick lives in crazytown and she's the mayor - everything to her is God's plan, so apparently if she gets kicked in the face or her horse dies because she is a nimrod who can't care for it properly then I guess that will be God's plan as well, perhaps as a lesson that she didn't take enough photos of herself with her pretty new my little pony and posted them on her blog.

There are cases of ignorant teenagers given a horse and growing into the responsibility. Links to horse owners' groups probably wouldn't fly because she would have to associate with the Great Unsaved, but could more experienced horse owners post titles of good beginner books here, in case she's lurking on this thread? Lots of info about horse care and ground manners might save this poor critter.

Dear Raquel...

He is a very handsome fellow. My horse is my very best friend in the world. I wanted to recommend Buck Brannaman's book Ground Work, a great resource for starting out with a young green horse. He has a real gift for explaining how horses think. As you may know they think very differently than we do and they don't even see the same way we do. Actually anything by Buck can be helpful and healthful for both you and Knight. I noticed that you live in OR. There should be some good teachers within reach.

Also what a horse eats and how much can have an effect on his behavior. There are some very good resources on the internet to help you keep him mentally and physically balanced. Smartpak is one equine supplement company that can give you very good advice.

Also I may be wrong but it looks like Knight is wearing an all nylon halter. Please get him one that is nylon with a leather crown piece. This wil keep him from the possibility of injury if he pulls back on cross-ties, while tied or should get his halter hung up on anything. The leather will break but the nylon will not and it can be very dangerous.

I hope all goes well.

Archived