IGNORED

3 days in Hell?

JesusFightClub

Having just read the thread with our recent fundie visitor and seeing the mentions of Jesus spending three days fighting Satan, I'm trying really hard not to make a Jack Bauer joke.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
Having just read the thread with our recent fundie visitor and seeing the mentions of Jesus spending three days fighting Satan, I'm trying really hard not to make a Jack Bauer joke.

You know what would be really hot? If Jack Bauer had to interrogate Satan!

I attended a conservative Lutheran school for a while and I never heard anything about Jesus spending time in hell... I was mostly brough up Anglican, though. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning where Jesus hung out while he was 'dead', now that I think about it.

I choose to believe Satan is really like he's depicted in South Park: a total bitchy queen who dresses up like Britney from 'Oops, I Did it Again' for Halloween. Now, that's a Satan I can get behind.

APOSTLES' CREED

I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty. From there he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.

I was taught that when Christ descended into hell it was as a triumph over Satan and sin. Once he died, he was released from the human body, as the price for sin was paid. He went straight to heaven, but descended into hell to give the devil the finger. The rest of the three days he was hanging out in heaven, waiting for the right time to come back to the earthly body. His eventual ascension into heaven was after the Resurrection, and for the benefit of the believers.

From Matthew 12:40: For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. I Peter 3:18-21 speaks about Jesus preaching to the imprisioned souls in Sheol after he was crucified. I was taught that when Jesus told the other man on the cross that he would be with him today in Paradise that Jesus did go with him to Paradise that day and then left to go to hell. The reason why I was taught Jesus went to hell was to preach to souls trapped there who died before he came to offer salvation. Our babtist preacher went out of his way to make the point that this did not imply that the RCC was correct about purgatory.

I was raised in a fundamentalist SBC where we did not say the AC in church, but I attend a methodist church (UMC) and their AC does mention the three days in hell.

I believe in God the Father Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth;

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord:

who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,

born of the Virgin Mary,

suffered under Pontius Pilate,

was crucified, dead, and buried;

the third day he rose from the dead;

he ascended into heaven,

and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;

from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic church,[30]

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins,

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting. Amen.

From time to time some people at church will get ill over the phrase catholic church no matter how often they are told the word means universal and they are not professing faith in the RCC.

Archived