IGNORED

God bought Miss Raquel a horse.

formergothardite

god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/2011/11/22checked-off-with-gods-pen.html

I don't bother with breaking the link since she already lurks here. Too bad God was spending his time and money buying her a horse and not on the people whose children are starving to death. :roll: It must be great to be one of God's special snowflakes that He grants litttle whims too while ignoring the pleads for food and safety that others send up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't follow her but... ew, ugh, ugh. I must be in a mood today because a mere 30-second glance at her blog and that post just... *shudder*.

The link to her "About" page refers to her as "the authoress". The authoress? Really? :roll:

But yeah, the horse. I am somebody who believes in prayer and that you can get your silly selfish wishes granted through prayer, but the way she talks about it seems in bad taste, throwing it around lightly. "God granted me a wish"; "God paid for him too".

In fact, if you'll notice, she doesn't actually THANK or praise God for the horse at all. She thanks, even praises, her friends Jenna and Leilani, but God must just owe her for being so perfect and holy.

The whole idea of God granting the trivial wants of some people and not the life and death needs of others bothered me even during my more fundie days. It was always a struggle to wrap my mind around the idea that a loving God who was so involved in the daily lives of people could decide to give one person a great deal on clothes that they didn't need (a real thing I heard people talk about in my church) but ignore the people who were praying for food and shelter. The only way to justify that is to say that God loves Raquel more than he does the starving children all over the world.

I'v moved to a place where I believe in a more hands off God. And I still struggle with that.

I don't follow her but... ew, ugh, ugh. I must be in a mood today because a mere 30-second glance at her blog and that post just... *shudder*.

The link to her "About" page refers to her as "the authoress". The authoress? Really? :roll:

But yeah, the horse. I am somebody who believes in prayer and that you can get your silly selfish wishes granted through prayer, but the way she talks about it seems in bad taste, throwing it around lightly. "God granted me a wish"; "God paid for him too".

In fact, if you'll notice, she doesn't actually THANK or praise God for the horse at all. She thanks, even praises, her friends Jenna and Leilani, but God must just owe her for being so perfect and holy.

And modest! Don't leave out modest, she did a whole series of posts with pictures of herself to show how modest she was. :lol: I'm not talking about one or two pictures, tons of pictures. She is the most modest of all of God's daughters! That must be why he gave her a horse.

She calls herself an "authoress" because she wrote a "fictional".

As one of the resident 'Horse People' here I have to comment.

A 2 year old horse is NOT a horse a beginner needs to have. This is the fastest way to get hurt... the old saying is "green on green=black and blue"

And the 'only cost me a dollar' thing? Um, sweetheart, the PURCHASE PRICE of a horse is the cheapest part of any equine purchase. The real cost is in the upkeep. Unless you plan on 'caring' for Knight like the Bates Family 'cares' for their horses :roll:

As one of the resident 'Horse People' here I have to comment.

A 2 year old horse is NOT a horse a beginner needs to have. This is the fastest way to get hurt... the old saying is "green on green=black and blue"

And the 'only cost me a dollar' thing? Um, sweetheart, the PURCHASE PRICE of a horse is the cheapest part of any equine purchase. The real cost is in the upkeep. Unless you plan on 'caring' for Knight like the Bates Family 'cares' for their horses :roll:

Hear hear to everything you said! If she is not an experienced rider, this is a disaster waiting to happen. It's going to be even worse if she's riding fundie-style in a long skirt with no helmet. She also doesn't know what kind of expenses she is in for: feed, training (oh gods I hope she'll have a trainer work with that horse!), vet, farrier. She clearly has no clue.

Here, stands a young woman who is not afraid to speak about her God...the One true and living Maker of the universe.

Here stands a young woman who only cares about where she stands in His eyes.

...and about getting a horse. And some other stuff. No shame in that, but let's be honest!

So that's why I didn't get the horse I wanted when I was about 9, I wasn't godly and modest enough. It had nothing to do with the fact that my family didn't have the resources or land to properly care for a horse.

A two-year-old horse is barely physically mature. It should be just beginning to learn how to carry a rider. So either it's a green horse, and as the previous poster said, green on green equals black and blue; or it's "broke" already and in a few years it'll be broken down.

Either way, I wonder whether she's headed for a featured place on Fugly Horse of the Day.

So that's why I didn't get the horse I wanted when I was about 9, I wasn't godly and modest enough. It had nothing to do with the fact that my family didn't have the resources or land to properly care for a horse.

This. I always wanted a horse when I was a child. I never got one though. I went to public school, played with children not of my faith and stuff so I guess I was a heathen and unmodest child and God did not "bless" me with my desires. I also wanted a kitten, but never got one. It had everything to do with how I dressed and my father not going to church and nothing to do with the fact that my mother was allergic. Nope, none.

I know nothing about horses, so I had no clue that at two years they still weren't trained and everything. I always thought they were like dogs and you started teaching them when they are puppies and by the time they are a year old or so they are pretty good to go.

I hope she has enough sense to get real help in training this horse and that her parents can shell out the money to care for it. They have a bunch of kids, don't they? I hope God is planning to pay for food and shelter too.

The whole idea of God granting the trivial wants of some people and not the life and death needs of others bothered me even during my more fundie days. It was always a struggle to wrap my mind around the idea that a loving God who was so involved in the daily lives of people could decide to give one person a great deal on clothes that they didn't need (a real thing I heard people talk about in my church) but ignore the people who were praying for food and shelter. The only way to justify that is to say that God loves Raquel more than he does the starving children all over the world.

I'v moved to a place where I believe in a more hands off God. And I still struggle with that.

I saw Raquel's horse post and wondered is someone would mention her silliness.

I feel the same about God as more hands off and I don't get these types of Christians. I believe in God, but have I never really get anything my heart desires. I dislike the attitude that people think they are more deserving because of their specific beliefs. You are not better because you were homeschooled/are homeschooling, because you wear long dresses/skirts and not pants, because you submit to your husband, because you eat organic food, because you deny evolution, because you don't participate in halloween, because you believe you are following the Bible correctly, etc. When I hear these things like that, I cringe. This people keep forgetting the words of Jesus. You know, the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector? The one where is says to not be self-righteous? These people always miss that parable for some reason. Raquel is a teenager and a rather immature one at that. Time will hopefully give her a dose of humility.

I know nothing about horses, so I had no clue that at two years they still weren't trained and everything. I always thought they were like dogs and you started teaching them when they are puppies and by the time they are a year old or so they are pretty good to go.

I hope she has enough sense to get real help in training this horse and that her parents can shell out the money to care for it. They have a bunch of kids, don't they? I hope God is planning to pay for food and shelter too.

You can do stuff with them: teach them to lead, stand tied, be groomed, feet trimmed, loading on the trailer... Basic stuff like that when they're young.Groundwork. But as far as riding? No. Some people start their horses early (IMO way too early). Racehorses are running races by 2, but so many break down and have to be destroyed.

It's best to wait until they are 3 to start them, if you want it to have a long and healthy life.

Training a young horse is a dangerous job, best left to someone who knows what they are doing, not some starry-eyed twit. The horse will be lucky if he survives her training.

I've had horses my whole life. I have 'finished' quite a few horses, but have only had 1 I trained from start to finish. It was a job. Dollars to donuts this girl is not up to that task.

And because this isn't TWOP (thank gawd) I'm gonna add on a little more real-life experience:

I was given a free horse a couple of years ago. Lady had too many, my elderly gelding had just been put down, leaving my mare lonely-you get the idea. Free horse.

The free horse had been started at 3, then turned out to pasture.

He came to my barn as a fresh 7 year old. My son who is 19 is training him now, but with my guidance. My hip and ankle problems won't allow me to do it myself. No way could he do it alone, they would both be dead already, and Josh grew up on a horse-my elderly well-trained heart-of-a-saint gelding. He can ride, but he has no idea how to train.

There's way more to it than you'd think.

I learn so many things at FJ! Let's all hope she doesn't kill herself trying to train this horse. They are having to build a shelter for it, so I so hope they take care of him. I hate to see animal abuse of any kind and it kind of worries me that her parents couldn't afford to buy a horse yet think they can afford to care for him. From what I've read here, horses are not cheap, not at all and if you couldn't afford to buy one you probably can't afford to care for one.

I learn so many things at FJ! Let's all hope she doesn't kill herself trying to train this horse. They are having to build a shelter for it, so I so hope they take care of him. I hate to see animal abuse of any kind and it kind of worries me that her parents couldn't afford to buy a horse yet think they can afford to care for him. From what I've read here, horses are not cheap, not at all and if you couldn't afford to buy one you probably can't afford to care for one.

Yes to everything, especially the bolded.

As another lifelong equine person, (I have mules, not horses,) I just wanted to concur with everyone else that horse ownership isn't about kissing noses and pretty pictures and galloping through sunflower fields. There are hooves to trim and shoe, teeth to float, there's worming and training and feed to pay for, there's tack to buy, there are helmets and riding clothes to pay for...no part of horse ownership is cheap or easy. I fear for this horse- and he's a cute boy, too. He has such a kind eye.

Another equestrienne and former horse owner here. I rode from the time I was four, but I have never trained a horse. That takes a special skillset and is not something that anyone can just do, like housebreaking a dog.

Casual attitudes about horse ownership drive me nutz. It's not a dog or a cat or a goldfish.

Another equestrienne and former horse owner here. I rode from the time I was four, but I have never trained a horse. That takes a special skillset and is not something that anyone can just do, like housebreaking a dog.

Casual attitudes about horse ownership drive me nutz. It's not a dog or a cat or a goldfish.

I've been riding horses most of my life. 5 years ago my mother fulfilled a lifelong dream of taking home a Chincoteague Pony from the Penning for the family. Despite being experience riders, we had help - lots of it. The help was a friend who cut us a good deal on getting the horses started with ground work and halter breaking, but let me say that EVERY step was a learning experience for me. It was also not all that cheap. It was a HUGE financial investment. This pony is quite sweet and willing to please, but I can't even say just how many miscommunications and arguments she and I have had as I have tried to work with her - even with the help of a trainer who spent 3 years starting her and then moving her to another barn where I had other trainers backing her.

She put me in the emergency room last winter after body slamming me to the ground when something spooked her out of the corner of her eye at the same time she was concentrating on how to pick up the canter and we were both totally thrown off balance. I was riding in a well-attended ring, wearing all proper safety equipment. Imagine being out there alone in an open fields, with few other people around, wearing a long fundie skirt and likely no helmet. Horses can be unpreditable in the best of times. A young green horse is VERY unpredictable.

Archived