IGNORED

Rebecca !!!!!!!'s recent blog entry

WonderingInWA

I happento know Stevie was asked awhile back if there was a conclusive reason why Melanie and Nathan's first baby didn't survive. He just said it was God's will and that there was nothing conclusive. Which I think is bullshit. They either plugged their ears to the fact she was probably trisomy or they just turned their back on the baby and never found out what they could have known. No one wants to discover they are carrying a trisomy child, but why wouldn't they own up to the fact that that's what happened and it wasn't just God's will? It was a scientific fact that has to do with how the chromosomes match up and sometimes there's an extra one.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that's what I was saying earlier. She seems like she might be a bit developmentally deficient. It could be the "quality" of her homeschooling. But her appearance alarms me, too. Can't put my finger on it.

Oh yes, I just saw where you wrote that. Sorry I missed it before - but I agree with you. Her appearance combined with her writing just ring some bells for me.

Oh OH.... that page is gone. I think she must have been told or noticed all the traffic and she deleted the wedding page.

Well, that's what I was saying earlier. She seems like she might be a bit developmentally deficient. It could be the "quality" of her homeschooling. But her appearance alarms me, too. Can't put my finger on it.

There is something off about her face. Not physically, but there's just this facial thing that tells me something is off with her mind. This isn't typical childlike behavior. I would say that this is another not particularly bright childlike fundie educated at the SOTDRT, but something tells me that's not the case.

As for the family's looks, personally I don't think they're an ugly bunch. Plain and heavyset, sure, but not really ugly or inbred-looking. I think with some hair styling, a bit of makeup, and some more flattering clothes they wouldn't look so... fundie. I don't know. I'm not really seeing ugly here, just really frumpy.

Though I have to concede that fundies will at some point be forced to marry cousins for lack of potential suitors.

Oh OH.... that page is gone. I think she must have been told or noticed all the traffic and she deleted the wedding page.

If she does have any sort of intellectual challenges I feel really guilty about this.

ETA: wait, I still see the page

There is something off about her face. Not physically, but there's just this facial thing that tells me something is off with her mind. This isn't typical childlike behavior. I would say that this is another not particularly bright childlike fundie educated at the SOTDRT, but something tells me that's not the case.

As for the family's looks, personally I don't think they're an ugly bunch. Plain and heavyset, sure, but not really ugly or inbred-looking. I think with some hair styling, a bit of makeup, and some more flattering clothes they wouldn't look so... fundie. I don't know. I'm not really seeing ugly here, just really frumpy.

Though I have to concede that fundies will at some point be forced to marry cousins for lack of potential suitors.

I agree. In the close-up of her sis I think she is downright cute!

I think the breeding of this family was just a bad one. I would love to know the history on it. The deep circles under the mother's eyes are either bad nutrition (but like I said before, it doesn't look like she's ever missed a meal) or something more (what could it be -- too much smoking? Do you think she smokes?). Rebecca seems to have inherited the dark circles. No girl who is 20 should have that look about her. And she's just not mature in the way she writes or decorates cakes. I feel sorry for her. And I do not think her sister looks anything better than she does. They have both been victims of their breeding.

I think the breeding of this family was just a bad one. I would love to know the history on it. The deep circles under the mother's eyes are either bad nutrition (but like I said before, it doesn't look like she's ever missed a meal) or something more (what could it be -- too much smoking? Do you think she smokes?). Rebecca seems to have inherited the dark circles. No girl who is 20 should have that look about her. And she's just not mature in the way she writes or decorates cakes. I feel sorry for her. And I do not think her sister looks anything better than she does. They have both been victims of their breeding.

Lots of obese people are actually quite undernourished - either from chronic dieting or the quality of food (imagine an all-fast-food diet and the kind of havoc that could unleash on your system).

Lots of obese people are actually quite undernourished - either from chronic dieting or the quality of food (imagine an all-fast-food diet and the kind of havoc that could unleash on your system).

This is SOOOO true!11!!! :lol: I was until very recently quite obese and had really bad dark circles. Once I cleaned up my eating habits they disappeared. Her mom just looks unhealthy to me from diet, I doubt she smokes.

I agree. In the close-up of her sis I think she is downright cute!
Agreed. She just has that really, really washed out look that begs for a little make-up.

That look I describe as "syndrome-y"

You know, I think there is kind of an inbred look to all of them - some of these hard core fundies might marry people they are a little too closely related to....

You think *all* the fundies look inbred? Or did you just mean this one family?

To me, most of the fundies look normal as far as genes and chromosomes and syndromes are concerned. True, their choices in clothing and hairstyles are not in the vanguard of fashion. Some fundies are physically attractive and others not so much. But I can only think of a few who look like something's not normal genetically or whatever. Josie Duggar, for example, has that "syndrome-y" look, but I'm sure this is due to her prematurity and not because she's inbred, since her brothers and sisters look like healthy, typically developing children. I'm actually surprised there aren't more fundie children with Down Syndrome, given the number of mothers having babies well into their forties.

This is what I said earlier and I'm sorry if some of you don't read the entire thread before responding:

"And she has crazy eyes in the sense she's got terrible dark circles under them. Her mother has them too. I'm guessing a result of poor nutrition, but I could be wrong. Her mother looks like she's never missed a meal, but when you don't have a lot of money, crappy processed foods is what you eat and feed your family."

There are probably very legitimate reasons for their family to look unhealthy. They probably don't have a lot of money, mom probably doesn't have a lot of resources for cooking or eating healthy.

I think as time goes on (perhaps in the next two generations) we may see more problems with genetics among these families. I can't help but think that these fundies have very high miscarriage rates. I wonder if it is due to the fact that most of their pregnancies are not planned, birth spacing and lack of prenatal care.

You think *all* the fundies look inbred? Or did you just mean this one family?

To me, most of the fundies look normal as far as genes and chromosomes and syndromes are concerned. True, their choices in clothing and hairstyles are not in the vanguard of fashion. Some fundies are physically attractive and others not so much. But I can only think of a few who look like something's not normal genetically or whatever. Josie Duggar, for example, has that "syndrome-y" look, but I'm sure this is due to her prematurity and not because she's inbred, since her brothers and sisters look like healthy, typically developing children. I'm actually surprised there aren't more fundie children with Down Syndrome, given the number of mothers having babies well into their forties.

No, no, I don't think all fundies look this way. I was referring to a few groups of the ones who are extreme isolationist types from a few generations back. Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified my point better...

I dunno. I actually don't get the sense that she's developmentally delayed. Just isolated, poorly read, poorly educated, and very, very young for her age.

I work in Special Education, and some people just have low IQ's for no apparent reason, other than the fact that their parents are low intellect as well. She comes off to me as having a lower IQ than the norm.

This is what I said earlier and I'm sorry if some of you don't read the entire thread before responding:

"And she has crazy eyes in the sense she's got terrible dark circles under them. Her mother has them too. I'm guessing a result of poor nutrition, but I could be wrong. Her mother looks like she's never missed a meal, but when you don't have a lot of money, crappy processed foods is what you eat and feed your family."

There are probably very legitimate reasons for their family to look unhealthy. They probably don't have a lot of money, mom probably doesn't have a lot of resources for cooking or eating healthy.

I do think this family has limited resources, but they always have money to make it to some fundy dog and pony show.

WonderingInWA said:

Honestly, I think she should be looking for more her caliber of people -- I don't think her parents ever bought into chore packs and certainly (obviously) not meal restrictions (unless there is a thyroid disease running in their family they don't know about).

On the thyroid issue, I couldn't help noticing that the outermost 1/2 to 1/3 of the sisters' eyebrows are missing - very common in hypothyroidism. Maybe there is something to this - perhaps they are running ever-so-slightly hypothyroid (and experiencing some subtle effects)? Just speculating of course...

They do all look very happy though.

I think Rebecca sounds young for her age because she has been sheltered, not because she is mentally retarded.

Some of the kids in that family do look a bit "awkward" but I do not think that is because they have a genetic defect or "syndrome". I think it's just that sometimes even two normal looking parents' genes will combine in such a way that their kids will turn out looking kind of awkward.

Look at Rumer Willis. Demi Moore and Bruce Willis are both considered good looking people, but you combine their genes and you get a funny-looking kid (Rumer Willis, for those who don't know, looks a lot like her parents, but unfortunately inherited Bruce Willis's gigantic chin, which looks great on Bruce but looks really weird and unattractive on a woman).

But you know, I'm not particularly good-looking myself, so thank goodness that looks aren't everything.

Um, the term "mentally retarded" is really offensive and outdated. Just sayin'.

Until Rosa'a Law passed Mentally Retarded was an acceptable term and medical diagnosis. It is just recently that we are using Developmentally Delayed or Cognitively Impaired instead of Mentally Retarded. As with anything, how a term or name is used can make it offensive or benign.

Um, the term "mentally retarded" is really offensive and outdated. Just sayin'.

It's a bit outdated, but it's not offensive in SpecEd circles, it can be used as terminology to describe cognitive abilities below 70 IQ or so.

It's a bit outdated, but it's not offensive in SpecEd circles, it can be used as terminology to describe cognitive abilities below 70 IQ or so.

It is offensive to some even in SpecEd circles. I know folks who won't even say the world retarded as a medical diagnosis - it's treated a lot like the n-word. Personally I have no real problem with it if it's used as a medical term, though I do prefer something like "intellectual disability"

Yeah, it's more common with the old school folks. I do not use that terminology myself because I was trained to use different terms.

So if she is really developmentally delayed or anything shouldn't we then stop snarking her? I mean we don't snark kids and she is nothing else than a kid.

Archived