IGNORED

Rebecca !!!!!!!'s recent blog entry

WonderingInWA

First, the no makeup thing. I've never worn makeup in my life either, but my "style" such as it is very boyish, so it works - plus I'm not all pale. If you want to do femmy, and particularly if you're pale, a little bit of accent would go a LONG way.

Well, I do use make up(I'm more of the girly type :) ) and I can assure you a little concealer can go a looong way. I have the worst rings under my eyes ever, and there is help!

Third, ZOMG those dresses. I'll admit I am NOT a fan of that dress style at all, but I can appreciate that look as a thing when people make the dresses out of ordinary cotton patterned fabric. That dress pattern plus shiny cloth is just... not my thing, I'll leave it at that :D It's like FLDS means dancewear, or something... on the other hand, I think there's some unwritten rule that bridesmaids' dresses are supposed to be awful.

...why on earth they were WEARING bridesmaids' dresses is another topic entirely, of course...

Well there are a LOT of bridesmaids dresses out there that are somewhat subtle so they won't steal the show from the bride but are nothideous. Not that there was much of a show to steal. I think they wore bridesmaid dresses because they somehow pretend it's a second wedding?

Haha, the whole makeover thing. I somewhat came up with the thought that the Maxwell (is that the family she supposedly wants to marry into?) sisters publish a post after she's married one of their brothers like "Makeover time!" and brag about how they got homemade mani-pedis, haircuts, and perms, and updated her wardrobe to some jeans skirts and blouses. Then going off about how appearance is not important and how they just had a fun girls day while you really notice them being proud of their non-existent fashion sense.

Wow, my thinking is SERIOUSLY messed up. :geek:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, yes , I never got the whole point of vow renewals, either. Thought (Christian, above all) marriage was supposed to last forever. It doesn't wear off.

Who are the Wilkersons she keeps mentioning and why are they so desperately in need of prayer?
I think they're very close friends of Rebecca's family. Their kids are all adopted - looks like a sibling group of 3-4 (the blonde ones) a couple of them apparently with fetal alcohol syndrome. The dark haired girl (Mary/Anna) is one whose adoption was supposed to have gone through recently but she all of a sudden disappeared from Wilkerson pictures and at around the same time Rebecca started asking for prayer for them. I'm worried that her adoption may have fallen through at the last minute.

Well there are a LOT of bridesmaids dresses out there that are somewhat subtle so they won't steal the show from the bride but are nothideous. Not that there was much of a show to steal. I think they wore bridesmaid dresses because they somehow pretend it's a second wedding?

True enough... THESE are certainly not those dresses! :D

But yeah, it's the whole "elaborate reenactment of the wedding complete with bridesmaids' dresses, the original gown, and an actual wedding cake" that has my mind boggling. I mean, an anniversary party with a little cake, sure, but... this? lolwut?

Edited to add: Plus, according to the blog this is the 22nd anniversary. Normally if someone is going to make a big deal of an anniversary they do the nicely rounded off years, like 20 or 25. Makes me wonder what the inspiration was for going for it at 22.

True enough... THESE are certainly not those dresses! :D

But yeah, it's the whole "elaborate reenactment of the wedding complete with bridesmaids' dresses, the original gown, and an actual wedding cake" that has my mind boggling. I mean, an anniversary party with a little cake, sure, but... this? lolwut?

Edited to add: Plus, according to the blog this is the 22nd anniversary. Normally if someone is going to make a big deal of an anniversary they do the nicely rounded off years, like 20 or 25. Makes me wonder what the inspiration was for going for it at 22.

Actually, I think the pictures were taken two years ago, on their 20th anniversary--but I could be wrong. Rebecca didn't have a blog back then, I guess, so she decided to share them now.

WRT Rebecca possibly wanting to marry a Maxwell son--in her dreams. I don't see John or Joseph (is that the right name?) going for her, or for any frumper-wearer.

Well, right, Stevie likely won't select her to become part of his family. Among other things, she doesn't really seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. I was shocked to learn she is 20, and not 12. She writes like a 12yo, and all she's got to bring to the table is ugly cake-making (mind you, better than I could do, but they are all just awful). Just looking at her and her sister and reading her writing, I just wonder if there isn't something just a little bit developmentally off about her.

Wow... those dresses are HIDEOUS. They look like something from Napoleon Dynamite's school dance. What is up with fundie women and their mama's obsession with fitting into their old dresses (although to be fair, this woman is shaped a lot more like me and I say 'rock on, girl' to that). But I've seen it before "Here's me before I married my prince and here's Mommy, wearing her old dress from when she married Daddy in 1991" (because, to be fair, if they are fundies, the girl is probably 19 getting married). I don't get it.

This girl and her family just makes me feel sad. They are so not attractive. Make up, a decent hairstyle, and non-dumpy clothes would do them all some good.

Guest Anonymous

Put me in the group who thinks those dresses are hideous. I hate to talk about peoples looks too but since we are here to snark, I must say they are all pretty unattractive. I don't think makeup or a current hairdo will change much at all.

Actually, I think the pictures were taken two years ago, on their 20th anniversary--but I could be wrong. Rebecca didn't have a blog back then, I guess, so she decided to share them now.

WRT Rebecca possibly wanting to marry a Maxwell son--in her dreams. I don't see John or Joseph (is that the right name?) going for her, or for any frumper-wearer.

I think she has a thing for John, she has a lot of pics. of him. Dream on is right, John is the hot one and can have his choice of fundie girls.

I think she has a thing for John, she has a lot of pics. of him. Dream on is right, John is the hot one and can have his choice of fundie girls.

C'mon, young or old (like me), we all have a thing for John. :lol:

But maybe Joseph. He has always struck me as almost as gay as Christopher, and I'm not sure how old he is. Honestly, I think she should be looking for more her caliber of people -- I don't think her parents ever bought into chore packs and certainly (obviously) not meal restrictions (unless there is a thyroid disease running in their family they don't know about). And she just isn't, or doesn't seem to be, as intelligent as the Maxwells. Not that they are super intelligent, but in comparison, her writing is a homeschool fail. JMHO, of course.

I can't snark on them for the vow renewal - because hubby and I are planning on renewing our vows at the 5 year mark. This is for a couple of reasons, but mostly because our first wedding (whilst lovely) wasn't a proper one (registry office), with little warning, so many that we wanted to be there, couldn't be. And we really want a 'proper' one, with everyone there. And plus, I love weddings, particularly organising them. Yep. I am crazy. :)

Put me in the group who thinks those dresses are hideous. I hate to talk about peoples looks too but since we are here to snark, I must say they are all pretty unattractive. I don't think makeup or a current hairdo will change much at all.

Yeah, that is true. They are pretty homely. Bless their hearts.

With christian marriage being a one and done institution I don't get the renewal of vows. I know folks who handfast for a year and a day and then renew or renegotiate these private vows.

I think they're very close friends of Rebecca's family. Their kids are all adopted - looks like a sibling group of 3-4 (the blonde ones) a couple of them apparently with fetal alcohol syndrome. The dark haired girl (Mary/Anna) is one whose adoption was supposed to have gone through recently but she all of a sudden disappeared from Wilkerson pictures and at around the same time Rebecca started asking for prayer for them. I'm worried that her adoption may have fallen through at the last minute.

Also, didn't one of the adopted kids of the Wilkerson's wander away recently? I think that's why Rebecca asked for prayers. It was on he news, the girl was around 9 but had FAS, she was missing many hours, possibly over night, but was found safe and sound.

Also, didn't one of the adopted kids of the Wilkerson's wander away recently? I think that's why Rebecca asked for prayers. It was on he news, the girl was around 9 but had FAS, she was missing many hours, possibly over night, but was found safe and sound.

She asked for prayers a few days after the girl was lost and found but there was another entry mentioning prayers for the Wilkersons so that may be so.

I read through Rebecca's blog. Poor girl needs to spend some time with a grammar tutor.

She really does sound like a nice girl who has a lot of concern for her family's friends. I can't see her fitting in with the isolationist Maxwells. Apparently, they're friendly toward her now, but I imagine Steve would treat her very differently once she married into the clan.

Guest Anonymous

She asked for prayers a few days after the girl was lost and found but there was another entry mentioning prayers for the Wilkersons so that may be so.

I think the Wilkerson girl went missing in 2010, whereas something new seems to have happened in the last month. I would love to know more about this...

Wait she's TWENTY??? I say this completely without snark - are we sure she doesn't have some mental limitations? Her writing seriously made me think she was much, much younger and it seems like more than just the typical fundie childlike behavior.

Wait she's TWENTY??? I say this completely without snark - are we sure she doesn't have some mental limitations? Her writing seriously made me think she was much, much younger and it seems like more than just the typical fundie childlike behavior.

Well, that's what I was saying earlier. She seems like she might be a bit developmentally deficient. It could be the "quality" of her homeschooling. But her appearance alarms me, too. Can't put my finger on it.

That look I describe as "syndrome-y"

You know, I think there is kind of an inbred look to all of them - some of these hard core fundies might marry people they are a little too closely related to....

That look I describe as "syndrome-y"

You know, I think there is kind of an inbred look to all of them - some of these hard core fundies might marry people they are a little too closely related to....

I've been lurking on this thread afraid to post what you just did :oops: TY

Well, and they don't believe in science or medicine, so genetic testing and prenatal tests are probably never done. And with their small social circles, wouldn't be only natural that at some point people would marry their first cousins and not even know it?

Archived