IGNORED

Rebecca !!!!!!!'s recent blog entry

WonderingInWA

Guest Anonymous
Hey Anniec..was it you who left the comments about toning down the excalmation points? lol!

No, but please share a link, I would love to see who did! :lol:

Edit: Haha it was someone called Annie and they posted yesterday... come on, own up: who did it? If you are going to impersonate me, get your arse over to titus2 and lay into Steve Maxwell instead... :naughty:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing wrong with these people that a little make-up and some new clothes couldn't fix. And on that note... one comment led me to another and so on and so on and I am eating the most amazing dinner as I type this, courtesy of a fundie blog... so, Thanks Rebecca! :)

Wow, she sure has a TON of pictures on the blog and very little to read.

Kinda OT:

The one pic of the Maxwells in matching skirts on page 3 or so....don't they ever get tired of being paraded around in matching clothes as if they were 2 years old?? Don't they ever get tired of constantly sugarcoating their life, as in "we're such a happy family"? Yikes.

Agreed. I don't use the term "mentally retarded" when talking about anyone, I tend to use developmentally delayed or whatever other term fits best. I was just responding to NurseNell to let her know that "mentally retarded" is still used on IEPs as a diagnostic term.

I've been away from the education field for awhile now, but 10-15 years ago, "developmentally delayed" meant something a little different from "mentally impaired" (the official term used in Michigan; some states were still using "mentally retarded").

A child who is labelled "developmentally delayed" is not functioning on the same level as his/her typically developing peers in most areas, but with intervention the child is expected to catch up significantly if not completely. For example, very premature babies are often developmentally delayed, as are adopted children who've spent their infancy in foreign orphanages. It's not uncommon for these kids to eventually end up in a regular classroom where they require little or no special interventions. The 3-year-old who is significantly behind the other preschoolers may be indistinguishable from the rest of the class by the time they're all in the third grade.

By contrast, a child who is "mentally impaired" (or "mentally retarded" in old school jargon) is not expected to catch up to his/her typically developing peers. Oftentimes, their cognitive impairments stem from conditions such as Down's Syndrome or FAS. The higher functioning kids are usually mainstreamed into regular classrooms at some point, but they require a lot of assistance in order to keep up, or else they're mainstreamed into non-academic classes such as art or music. The lower functioning kids can't keep up with their typically developing peers at all-- while the 6-year-olds in the regular first grade class are learning to read, these kids are learning how to go to the bathroom.

Guest Anonymous

I've been away from the education field for awhile now, but 10-15 years ago, "developmentally delayed" meant something a little different from "mentally impaired" (the official term used in Michigan; some states were still using "mentally retarded").

A child who is labelled "developmentally delayed" is not functioning on the same level as his/her typically developing peers in most areas, but with intervention the child is expected to catch up significantly if not completely. For example, very premature babies are often developmentally delayed, as are adopted children who've spent their infancy in foreign orphanages. It's not uncommon for these kids to eventually end up in a regular classroom where they require little or no special interventions. The 3-year-old who is significantly behind the other preschoolers may be indistinguishable from the rest of the class by the time they're all in the third grade.

By contrast, a child who is "mentally impaired" (or "mentally retarded" in old school jargon) is not expected to catch up to his/her typically developing peers. Oftentimes, their cognitive impairments stem from conditions such as Down's Syndrome or FAS. The higher functioning kids are usually mainstreamed into regular classrooms at some point, but they require a lot of assistance in order to keep up, or else they're mainstreamed into non-academic classes such as art or music. The lower functioning kids can't keep up with their typically developing peers at all-- while the 6-year-olds in the regular first grade class are learning to read, these kids are learning how to go to the bathroom.

In the UK developmental delay is used descriptively about children who are behind their peers in relation to certain developmental 'milestones'. How the delay was caused and whether the child can catch up are separate matters.

My point in chipping in on this conversation was merely to point out to Annalena that different cultures and communities use different terms, and while 'retarded' may be considered in one place, it might be a valid diagnostic phrase in another.

Yes, same here. That's why I'm thankful for concealer. :mrgreen:

I also have really bad undereye circles, since I was a child. My nutrition, health, and sleep were all fine. I just have bad genes in that area. A thick concealer is a must! I don't go anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, without makeup on. No matter how much sleep, exercise etc. I get, they are always the same dark shade.

So I was trying to explain my husband what frumper looks like. It’s obviously easier to show then tell and I showed him pictures of Rebecca and Maxwell females. My hubs response was “Dear God these people got to start breeding outside of their religionâ€. Needless to say I laughed like a cow and that that you might crack a smile as well.

Archived